Author Topic: Where in Spain in March ?  (Read 1415 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Where in Spain in March ?
« on: 26 September, 2023, 09:55:45 pm »
We're planning to ride in Spain again for a week next March. We did Calpe last Feb and it was a bit chilly so probably a bit further south this time.
Preferably somewhere we don't need a hire car.
What does the panel suggest?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Where in Spain in March ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:26:24 pm »
Málaga

No, really, bear with me...

A week would give ample time to do a loop from Málaga, taking in Ronda, Zahara de la Sierra, Seville, Córdoba, Zuheros, Granada (book in advance if you want to go into the Alhambra) and Antequera (which is nice as the tour buses don't stop there). Jáen as well if you have time.

If you like flat, there's the Via Verde del Aceite which is a long distance path on a former rail route between Jáen and Puente Genil, kind of crossways to the circuit above, but very interesting.

Weather should be perfect in March.

Without a car is fine if you want to not-bike some parts, local buses are frequent, cheap, and have room for a couple of bikes.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2023, 06:10:19 pm »
Thanks, we'd be looking to stay in one hotel for the week rather than moving on.

DNOMcRae

• we cycle more than we drive ;o)
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:19:37 am »
Hi,
I know it is a bit late for this time but hopefully useful for future holidays. 
We always go to Vera (Andalusia) during winter months, about an hour drive/bus east from Almeria.
Temperature ranges from 18C - 25C.  There are plenty of cycle paths and the road are amazing to ride on.  We just came back from 6 weeks cycling holiday and managed to ride over 800 miles.
There are a couple of bike shops where you can rent decent bikes.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2024, 06:33:48 pm »
6 weeks! Nice.
We booked Mallorca (Puerto Pollensa) in the end, going this Friday. But there's always next year.

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2024, 07:32:32 pm »
Too late to the party, but consider the Costa de la Luz and base yourself in Sanlucar de Barrameda. Search Guardian Travel for a recent review of the place. Nowhere near as over-developed as many of the other costas, and it's the home of Manzanilla (just don't call it 'sherry'!).
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2024, 09:49:02 am »
So any recommendations for cyclist friendly cafés or attractions around Port de Pollença/Alcúdia would be most welcome  :)