Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476051 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1675 on: 27 June, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
Back at the fracture clinic, MRI shows a fracture of the tibia, wish they'd make their bloody minds up. Academic now, advice is go ride my bike, avoid impacts and running. Ice it if it swells.

Not sure what the consultant meant by 'Keep the brace for next time'

« Reply #1676 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:11:31 am »
I know that strength training for cycling is a hot topic at the moment and after seeing GCN's video with Tinkoff-Saxo, something that I have been meaning to do for a while (when fit and racing again). Anyway, I saw this post on facebook and thought that I would share with others. Have others tried strength training and found it to be useful?
https://www.facebook.com/wyndymillabikes/photos/a.152293484798873.36112.110810008947221/1697273346967538/?type=3&theater

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1677 on: 29 June, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
Man-flu just a whine, huh? Clicky.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1678 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:06:41 am »
Tests have indicated that I have blood in my urine - in fact, I noticed some when we were in Pembrokeshire a fortnight ago, which prompted the visit to the doc in the first place. Since then, I haven't noticed it but the tests have indicated that there are microscopic amounts.

Tests have also indicated that I have healthy kidneys (a blood test last month to see whether my blood pressure tablets were buggering then up, and they weren't).

Tests have indicated that I don't have an infection.

Latest tests have indicated that there were no cancer cells.

I go back on Tues for another appointment.

I suppose it's not impossible that I have a very mild version of what Dez has (he had a kidney transplant 11 years ago). It's called IGA nephropathy - pretty much what Jonah Lomu had - and although in rare, extreme, cases it can cause kidney failure in young people (mostly men, I think), from memory, I understand that the French and Japanese test for this routinely and it's present in a mild form in about 4% of the population. It goes unnoticed for years because the kidneys still work OK.

Dez wasn't diagnosed until GOSH did a biopsy on him, and that is very extreme and unpleasant.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1679 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:17:37 am »
I know that strength training for cycling is a hot topic at the moment and after seeing GCN's video with Tinkoff-Saxo, something that I have been meaning to do for a while (when fit and racing again). Anyway, I saw this post on facebook and thought that I would share with others. Have others tried strength training and found it to be useful?
https://www.facebook.com/wyndymillabikes/photos/a.152293484798873.36112.110810008947221/1697273346967538/?type=3&theater

my aim is at least one high intensity strength-endurance session or one vinyasa style yoga session a week, sometimes I get two sometimes none.

The weights sessions are typically half an hour to 45 mins bodyweight/kettlebells/moderate weights. I'm not training to race, but I think it definitely helps.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1680 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »
Tests have indicated that I have blood in my urine
<stuff>

Latest tests have indicated that there were no cancer cells.

I go back on Tues for another appointment.

Eeek!

Hope things settle and resolve in a healthy manner PDQ!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1681 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:46:07 am »
I had a letter this morning from the hospital. I have an appointment on Friday at the "One Stop Haematuria" shop. This involves an ultrasound and an invasive procedure with a telescope. Frankly, that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Firstly, because I have never had anything quite so intrusive done to me before, and secondly, because it's the Dun Run the following day. In the letter it tells me that there will be a local anaesthetic for the invasive procedure and "I will be able to drive" afterwards. Yes, but will I be able to ride a bike???

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1682 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:53:12 am »
Glad they're seeing you so quickly Wow, hope it doesn't screw up the Dun Run AND I hope there's nothing badly going on.

My random health and fitness thing is yet another moan about upper respiratory boringness. I was getting better after having a sore throat all week and now it's getting worse again with sinuses getting in on the act. I've even resorted to pseudo ephedrine which I fucking hate (gives me pounding heartrate these days, can only take 1/2 pills at a time) cos I want to hammer this to stop it going antibiotic-worthy. I've a record of 3yrs 3 months between antibioticses for teh snot to beat and I'm only 17 months in! Damn and blast my stupid ENT system!

« Reply #1683 on: 01 July, 2017, 11:20:00 am »
Hope all goes well Wowbagger.

GWS Barakta.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1684 on: 01 July, 2017, 11:27:40 am »
@Wow: good luck with the probe.  I had a look for a clip of Jo Brand explaining the probang on QI but couldn't find one. Sorry.

@barakta: sympathy. I'm all bunged up & sore of throat after inhaling a shitload of wood dust yesterday, but it'll pass.  17 months of it - yetch.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1685 on: 01 July, 2017, 11:41:54 am »
I should probably clarify, I've not had 17 months solid of this snot, that's my gap between antibiotics doses so far.  My record is 3yrs 3 months and before better "medical management" and part time job I was having antibiotics 2-3 times a year and that was probably stretching it further than my ENT surgeon would have recommended. I still get snotty episodes a lot by most people's standards but have been able to nobble em quicker. 

I have chronic ENT issues (some of which may be sodding migraine) due to fairly severe facial abnormalities from birth. I had bone blocking my nasal passages and my palate is "nearly cleft". I had over 10 surgeries to get the blockage and sinuses sorted but "sorted" is a relative value. I will always be at increased risk of getting snot, getting worse snot and it likely to go nasty. The surgeries themselves caused damage and there's nothing they can do surgically to improve things without causing more damage.

I greatly value modern surgeons for being more aware of risks as well as claimed advantages of surgery. They are also more creative, if the textbook procedure doesn't work, they don't just keep re-attempting it verbatim eleventy times. They will be more balanced. They still get evil gleams in their eyes tho, they hate stuff they can't fix by slicing ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1686 on: 01 July, 2017, 01:34:38 pm »
If it's any second-hand consolation, my Dad doesn't seem to be much discombobulated by flexible cystoscopy under local anaesthetic.

Rigid cystoscopy under general anaesthetic is a different issue

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1687 on: 01 July, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »

I definitely wasn't going anywhere near a bike after one of those.  Mostly due to the effects of the GA, but the bleeding was a close second.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1688 on: 01 July, 2017, 02:31:54 pm »
If it's any second-hand consolation, my Dad doesn't seem to be much discombobulated by flexible cystoscopy under local anaesthetic.

Dez said that the removal of the stent wen he had his kidney transplant was "most unpleasant" but once over, there were no after-effects.

« Reply #1689 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:27:44 pm »
flexable cystoscopy under local is unpleasant but once the probe is removed the after effects are no more than mild discomfort (speaking from personal experience). the most painful bit is when they push past the prostate, that actually hurts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #1690 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:40:57 pm »
I had a letter this morning from the hospital. I have an appointment on Friday at the "One Stop Haematuria" shop. This involves an ultrasound and an invasive procedure with a telescope. Frankly, that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Firstly, because I have never had anything quite so intrusive done to me before, and secondly, because it's the Dun Run the following day. In the letter it tells me that there will be a local anaesthetic for the invasive procedure and "I will be able to drive" afterwards. Yes, but will I be able to ride a bike???

Each person's reaction will probably be unique, but when I've had it done, the procedure wasn't as bad as imagined (which is not saying very much) but for the next couple of days it seemed like I was passing barbed wire.  From memory, it didn't affect any cycling activities. Your usual painkiller tablets may help.

Hope it all goes well for you and they manage to diagnose then treat the problem promptly.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

essexian

« Reply #1691 on: 03 July, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »
Recovery after a "long ride*".....how do you do it?

I have just moved up to doing 100km rides which, whilst on the road have proven to be quite doable. However, I have noticed that the following day it all seems to fall apart and I either become very aggressive or feel like crying.  Not sure why as I have rested well and ensured I have taken some protein and reloaded my carbs but its quite strange and off putting.  I don't get this when I knock of 50 to 80km rides.

Any ideas what is causing this? Or, is it just me?

*I know 100km isn't that long but frankly, its taken me 8 years to get there so I am pleased with the progression!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1692 on: 03 July, 2017, 07:03:43 pm »
I suspect you haven't had enough rest and energy food - not just carbs. Getting sufficient energy on board is challenging for all, some more than others.

Chris S

« Reply #1693 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:19:03 pm »
Recovery after a "long ride*".....how do you do it?

I have just moved up to doing 100km rides which, whilst on the road have proven to be quite doable. However, I have noticed that the following day it all seems to fall apart and I either become very aggressive or feel like crying.  Not sure why as I have rested well and ensured I have taken some protein and reloaded my carbs but its quite strange and off putting.  I don't get this when I knock of 50 to 80km rides.

Any ideas what is causing this? Or, is it just me?

*I know 100km isn't that long but frankly, its taken me 8 years to get there so I am pleased with the progression!

Disclaimer: I don't know much about nutrition - and IANAD.

As I understand it, you have limits on how much input you can process?

You'll need input that's rich in Actual Nutrition - so that's veg and a little bit of fruit, plus some essential aminos, so maybe some Salmon or Mackerel, or a juicy steak.

If you seriously need to limit portions, eat small amounts often.

Recovery needs a good supply of essential proteins (fish/meat) as well as vitamins and minerals as "enablers". Think (or Google) "Maximising nutrition density"

« Reply #1694 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:11:32 am »
Sounds like low blood sugar levels to me - and possibly you are depleting your glycogen stores with longer exercise.
When I was doing very regular longer commutes I had trouble and found that having a high-protein recovery drink consumed within 15minutes of getting off the bike made a world of difference. I started with commercial SiS recovery drinks, which were good but upset my stomach after a few months of daily consumption. Then moved on to making my own with whole milk, a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder (NOT hot chocolate powder) and molasses. This was excellent stuff.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1695 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:30:48 am »
However, I have noticed that the following day it all seems to fall apart and I either become very aggressive or feel like crying.
I get like this if i haven't slept enough.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1696 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:57:20 am »
Forget about fancy drinks. Tuck into something that's easy to eat within 15 minutes of finishing, e.g. tea and biscuits or just a banana.  That gives you enough energy to get showered and changed, and then some. Thereafter a full meal: starter, main course, cheese and/or dessert/fruit, coffee. Drink whatever you like, but include a glass or two of water.  Then go for a short walk, maybe half an hour, to stretch your legs and digest before bed.

That's what our bunch used to do during holidays in the mountains, doing ~100k and several cols every day. After the very first day out I felt like death, but four days in I felt great.

essexian

« Reply #1697 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:19:56 am »
Cheers all. It did seem that I didn't eat enough as all I had when I got back was a protein shake, eggs on toast followed three hours later by a pasty and potatoes for tea. Apart from the protein shake, that's what I would normally eat without a "long" ride. I suppose also, I missed a meal while I was out as all I ate while out was one protein bar and a small packet of biscuits along with 750ml of a carb drink.

While I feel more balanced today, I didn't sleep very well due to an irregular heart beat: my heart seems to be skipping one beat in 10. I have raised this with my Doctor before and have had several ECG all which found nothing wrong. This only happens now and again. This however, is the first time I have noticed it after exercise. If it continues, then I will take myself down the docs to get it checked out.

I have another 100km ride planned and paid for on Sunday, so I will try to eat more before, during and after the ride to see if it helps....as for a "juicy steak" I am afraid that won't be on the menu as I haven't eaten meat in over 30 years  ;D

« Reply #1698 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:07:56 am »
Forget about fancy drinks. Tuck into something that's easy to eat within 15 minutes of finishing, e.g. tea and biscuits or just a banana.  That gives you enough energy to get showered and changed, and then some. Thereafter a full meal: starter, main course, cheese and/or dessert/fruit, coffee. Drink whatever you like, but include a glass or two of water.  Then go for a short walk, maybe half an hour, to stretch your legs and digest before bed.
The only reason I did the 'fancy drinks' as you call them is that is it difficult to get the same number of calories and nutrition down in a palatable form quickly enough. My digestion is dodgy and I found I couldn't stomach some things, combined with it being difficult to ensure that they were available.
Being able to put this in my water bottle meant it was guaranteed to be there when I got off the bike. Get off bike, drink. Simple. The ingredients were just a really strong version of chocolate milk, without any sugar.
Loughborough Uni tested that vs 'sports' drinks and found it worked just as well.

I'd been fine with a 'normal' routine for about 3 months of distance commuting but then started to deteriorate. It was only with using recovery drinks that I was able to carry on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1699 on: 06 July, 2017, 06:23:53 am »

Speaking from some experience of flexible cystoscopies there's no need to be concerned about the procedure - the thought of it is the worst part!   

I've had 5 now as part of pre- and post-bladder cancer tests.  The first one, when I had a prostate, just had a sharp stabbing pain for a micro-second as the probe passed through it.  Post operative (no prostate, no bladder - hopefully you wont be in that league) it's been an almost painless procedure.

And I would have no qualms about riding a bike the day afterwards - perhaps best not to ride to the hospital!  The normal process is to have the procedure, put your trousers back on, have a cup of tea and sit down for 20 minutes and then go home (I've driven myself there on all but one occasion - and that was only because I was upstairs in a hospital bed)

Hope all is well.

Rob