Author Topic: Russ Pindar  (Read 3091 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Russ Pindar
« on: 29 October, 2020, 11:11:57 pm »
I just saw from Hervé Morvan's (aka Frenchie) Twitter that Russ Pindar / climberruss (PBP finisher in 2007 & 2011) has died.

From what I understand he caught COVID while in hospital for his cancer treatment.

I'm stunned and deeply saddened. I remember various rides with him from Beeston that Frenchie organised. We'd set off at 6:15am for an extended commute into Nottingham. I haven't seen him for a while, but that's hardly surprising as I've not done any AUK rides since PBP 2019.

It makes this pandemic even more real.

:'( :'( :'(
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Russ Pindar
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2020, 11:16:15 pm »
Ah man. Nice bloke, only met him a few times but it was always easy to pick up where we left off. And I kinda expected to meet him again and get a bit more detail about his climbing Denali :(

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2020, 07:40:47 am »
Gutted.

megajoulesexpenditure

• More Pedalling Less Paperwork
« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2020, 07:48:33 am »
That's very sad news. We didn't know him well but he rode our 1000k a few years back. What a lovely person and that certainly makes the Covid seem even more real :-[

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2020, 07:52:43 am »
That's really sad.

Not seen him to talk to for a couple of years but Russ was always a friendly (and distinctive) face when I started doing audaxes.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:38:39 pm »
That's terrible.

He rode the 400k I organised years ago and told me stories of riding PACTour across the US.   I think I last saw him at the National 12hr a couple of years ago.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
Sad news. I only knew him from his occasional contributions here and appearances in Arrivée, don't think I ever met him irl, but it was clear he was well liked and respected.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2020, 04:16:37 pm »
Russ (and his dad) figured in some of my earliest Audax  experiences. He was on the first 600 I finished, the Seething 600 in 1988. Russ finished at lunchtime on Sunday, but had to wait for his dad to finish on Sunday evening. So he went for a bike ride.

The last time I saw Russ was at Shobdon control on the Elenith in about 2010.   

Very sad.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2020, 04:25:12 pm »
Yes, I remember Russ.  He used to do quite a lot of the NW audaxes.

RIP Russ

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »
That's terrible.

He rode the 400k I organised years ago and told me stories of riding PACTour across the US.   I think I last saw him at the National 12hr a couple of years ago.

I'd forgotten about his stories of PAC tours and desire to do another.

I dumped into the PAC tour group when cycling in Washington state and only knew about the PAC group because of Russ.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #10 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:25:33 pm »
Yes Climberrus. He'd ride flat-out then stop at a pub for huge meal and two or three pints that never touched the sides. What ever he did he went for it big time. RIP

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:49:20 pm »
So true JayP. I remember him doing one of the autumn rides from the Uts in Essex. He complained about bonking ~20 km from the finish so stopped for a pint or two 🙄

😂

« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:59:34 am »
As a Derby merc rider, Russ was a familiar sight to me on audax rides when I first started. He often overtook me on the road, before stopping to rehydrate!

It is people like Russ that make audax the quirky and daftly  compelling pastime that it is.

A proper audax character.

serendipity is my satnav

« Reply #13 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:02:04 am »
We used to compare diet successes (usually lack of) as he swigged pints and I stuffed my face

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:33:36 am »
I've just seen this news about Russ.  He was certainly one of the characters within AUK and always one for a friendly chat, so I'll miss him.  I seem to remember that he started Audaxing really young (relatively), then had a gap decade or two before making a comeback in 2006.  He was a welcome sight in 2013 when I saw him at the side of the LEL route near Spalding; he wasn't a participant nor a control, but was handing out water from his car to anyone needing it on a very hot afternoon.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:44:04 pm »
Sad news only met him the once, on the 400 that john hamilton organised in 2010 - we had quite a time racing up and down the hills....I stopped at "Pete's Eats" and passed him again around barmouth on the cycle track as he sat at a oub table with a few beers in front of him....Nice guy...

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:10:25 pm »
Ooh was that the Snowdon and Coast? I was on that ride. I dont recall seeing you or Russ.

I 'met' Russ on the Skeggy 300 in 2007. It was my first 300, in fact my 3rd audax, with my friend John.  We were riding along quite happily when a chubby ginger guy rode past us shouting "You could have told me I went the wrong way".

Not quite sure what that was about, but we surmised he had been ahead of us, taken a wrong turn, and apparently it was our fault  ;D

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2020, 12:25:51 pm »
Russell PINDAR

Climber, Cyclist, Talker. Son, Brother, Uncle - Legend! Taken tragically early on 29/10/2020.

You had so much more that you wanted to do. Always on an adventure, always up for a challenge. Will be sorely missed by many.

RIP Russ, love Sister Helen, Nephews Luke, Jamie Connor and Jordan and Niece Scarlett xxxxxx Funeral service to be held at Bramcote Crematorium - Serenity Chapel on Monday 16th November at 1.15pm. (Due to restrictions it will be by invitation only.

There will be a live link available upon request) Family flowers only please but donations if desired to 'AMMF - The Cholangiocarcinoma Charity' may be left at the service. All enquiries c/o Co-op Funeralcare, 116 Station Road, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 2AY Tel: 0115 9254 765
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
Gutted to see this  :'(

Russ was a really nice guy... a strong cyclist, a demon descender & as said before he loved a beer or god knows how many on his way round an Audax.  He will be missed.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.