Author Topic: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)  (Read 49994 times)

Re: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)
« Reply #100 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:38:27 pm »
The introduction of these trains onto the East-Coast Mainline has (thankfully) been delayed so the excellent HST's and Electra's are still running.  With everything I'm hearing about the 800's I'm dreading them on my regular route.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #101 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »
I'd say they're mostly an improvement on the HSTs unless you want to take a bike on them. Or like clean seats (or rather, seats which don't show the dirt). 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
I quite like HSTs, but I'm not in GWR-land.  The ones you get on Crosscountry are an alternative to Voyagers, which makes them more comfortable, better at fitting bikes, nicer toilets, and less radio-jammy.  The only issue is that you forget that Crosscountry have HSTs, so they catch you unaware and you follow completely the wrong bike space procedure.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #103 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:45:51 pm »
HSTs are wonderful, especially considering they were designed over 40 years ago. But they're not electric. Perhaps we should have had an elecrification program coupled with electrified HSTs...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 07 February, 2019, 05:46:40 pm »
Well yes, running trains on diseasel in a country this size is just daft.

« Reply #105 on: 07 February, 2019, 06:21:22 pm »
The electrification of the London-Bristol line has turned into a ludicrously expensive farce.  Doesn't really bode well for further electrification, let alone HS2.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #106 on: 07 February, 2019, 06:42:37 pm »
I'm not sure if they can change the letters around - I'd hope they don't. But they definitely *can't* change the coaches themselves around willy nilly though, so it'll always be the second coach from the standard class cab end.

« Reply #107 on: 07 February, 2019, 06:43:30 pm »
I'm not sure if they can change the letters around - I'd hope they don't. But they definitely *can't* change the coaches themselves around willy nilly though, so it'll always be the second coach from the standard class cab end.

Ah, OK.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #108 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:58:11 pm »
On our trains 1st class is at one end or the other. It used to be almost always the Paddington end, now it is pretty variable.

Something I saw today at Didcot might be the way out of this.

Electronic hi-res matrix display signs on platforms giving the usual information about where the train is going to, if it is on time etc. but also a digital map of the train showing bicycles and 1st Class. I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow when I pass back through Didcot...
Doesn't everywhere have this?

You poor provincials ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #109 on: 07 February, 2019, 11:37:13 pm »
On our trains 1st class is at one end or the other. It used to be almost always the Paddington end, now it is pretty variable.

Something I saw today at Didcot might be the way out of this.

Electronic hi-res matrix display signs on platforms giving the usual information about where the train is going to, if it is on time etc. but also a digital map of the train showing bicycles and 1st Class. I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow when I pass back through Didcot...
Doesn't everywhere have this?

You poor provincials ...

I guess if you only go on day excursions from Didcot to Didcot you might think this.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #110 on: 08 February, 2019, 10:20:42 am »
An update:

As far as I can see, there is only one set of these new signs at Didcot, and it is at the London end. For some reason First Class was at the wrong end so I couldn’t get a photo.

Maybe when mattc is next there with his bridge camera, anorak and sandwich box he can get a photo for us!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #111 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:19:09 am »
I'd say they're mostly an improvement on the HSTs unless you want to take a bike on them. Or like clean seats (or rather, seats which don't show the dirt).

I like seats that I can see the dirt. And the unidentified liquid. I don't mind sitting on a seat that someone has weed on, but I'd like the chance to dry it first so it doesn't sink into my trousers  :sick:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #112 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:55:36 am »
Trains ordered by the government on a very strict contract for which stickers would require renegotiation, as I understand it. Yes really.

According to the seat plan, the bike space is:
- On all trains in coach B at the end nearest coach C.
- On 10 car trains (2x5), the second space is in coach H at the end nearest coach J.
- On 9 car trains (one unit), the second space is in coach J at the end nearest coach H.

(Coach A is the standard class end, and usually at the Bristol end of the train)

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/seating-plans/intercity-express-train-5-carriage-seating-plan.pdf?la=en

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/seating-plans/intercity-express-train-9-carriage-seating-plan.pdf?la=en

There are a few more spaces than this, but GWR don't actually admit to them existing. Cycle spaces double as luggage spaces and I think these are meant to be primarily for luggage (despite having hooks and the internal bicycle sign). So:

On five car trains, in the carriage either side of the middle one (at the end closer to the middle). One compartment in each.
Ten car trains comprise two five car trains connected together, so as above.
On nine car trains, two compartments in coach J (the one next to the first class carriages), at the end nearer the middle of the train. One compartment in coach B (other end of train), end nearer the middle of the train. One compartment in coach F (can't remember which end). And there is also a compartment in the first class area, though I've not tried this one as my local station has a short platform and I wouldn't be able to get off...

One of the many problems with the design of these trains is that they have tried to cram in as many seats as possible, and so minimised the space available for bikes, luggage, toilets, the vestibule, etc. Of course in rush hour they still run standing room only, so it is all rather pointless. And it just makes it extremely difficult to manoevre your bike into the space.

By the way, don't take too much notice of the reservation system. It's broken.

« Reply #113 on: 08 February, 2019, 01:20:36 pm »
Thanks Rod. It's puzzling why you and grams can explain the bike storage locations to me but GWR CS's weren't (in 3 separate emails and 2 phone calls), whilst station staff just shrug their shoulders if you ask.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any doubt about the problems these cubicles cause, check this out from my last trip:

I'd got on at Paddington and was the first bike on, so in the inside slot.  I go to get my bike out as we approach Bath Spa and find an extremely heavy and large bike on the outer hook.... with a wooden kitchen stool strapped to the pannier rack!!  It was well and truly wedged in to the cubicle and it took a LOT of grunting, swearing and physical exertion to manhandle this off the hook and find somewhere to prop it before getting mine out.

All the while people are trying to get past through the vestibule.  The owner should consider themselves fortunate I re-hung their bike in a relatively civilised manner and without causing damage to bike or stool!

Just one of the countless miseries to come in future years, no doubt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #114 on: 08 February, 2019, 02:49:34 pm »
Somewhat outside the design parameters.  :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #115 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:32:09 pm »
GWR bike spaces, sponsored by <insert name of estate car manufacturer>
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #116 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:43:51 pm »

I like seats that I can see the dirt. And the unidentified liquid. I don't mind sitting on a seat that someone has weed on, but I'd like the chance to dry it first so it doesn't sink into my trousers  :sick:
Thing is, that's not what they show. What they show is last week's dirt that won't come out. I seem to remember hearing the fabric is being replaced by something darker and a different texture.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #117 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »
I always think airport carpet patterns are very clever; they already look as if people have dropped litter all over them.

http://carpetsforairports.com/
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #118 on: 10 February, 2019, 06:54:25 pm »
An update!

Received this from GWR in response to my 5th grumbling email last week:

Thank you for your email, regarding the signage for bicycle reservations on our trains.

We are currently waiting for the new signage for our trains, to be delivered to our depots so they can be fitted to the trains. This will include signs for the doors and windows for the carriages that contain bicycle spaces. We are also looking to place signs on the station platforms to indicate where the cycle carriages will be prior to the trains arrival.

And then on Saturday morning I see this on coach H sitting in Paddington:

The signage  was only on coach H (9-carriage config) - nothing on coach B where I actually hung my bike (had seat reservation for coach B) but it's the start of what I hope wlll be rolled out across the fleet.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #119 on: 10 February, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »
I'm not sure why they've used three small signs where one big one would be more visible, but it's a start in the right direction.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #120 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:08:48 pm »
I'm not sure why they've used three small signs where one big one would be more visible, but it's a start in the right direction.
Because normal proper passengers customers might be offended by them
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #121 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:56:06 pm »
Got to remember that those new cl800 trains are basically a super-commuter train to cater for the Thames Valley commuters and extend the London commuter belt out to Swindon and maybe parts of Bath/Bristol. They are the only "customers" who count judging from the way the new trains are specified is anything to go by.

GWR only seems to like commuters- maybe why their 7-day season ticket between Bristol/Cardiff and Paddington is priced at just under 1.5 times the price of the open return fare- I discovered that when I was doing a project in London a few years back and up there 3 or 4 times some weeks, it's still the same. If I got the right train, there was a restaurant car and I could have a proper cooked brekkie- top notch it was. All gone now- even though it was very popular with the long-distance passengers.

Thankfully I don't have to do that journey any more as I find the cl800 trains are not comfortable after a couple of hours. Give me a HST over the cl800 any day- preferably a XC one as the XC refurb was much better than the GWR one. 

GC

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #122 on: 14 February, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
Commuters being the only people who count is hardly GWR specific.  Look at any TOC in the country.  Or most other non-freight transport (including, sadly, quite a lot of cycle campaigning).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #123 on: 14 February, 2019, 05:42:37 pm »
GWR are exceptional in that 50% of their passengers are leisure travellers, though I'd imagine that's skewed by Devon and Cornwall, perhaps also Weymouth and Bournemouth.

The Class 800s will be replacing HSTs as far west as Swansea and Penzance. Way out of the commuter belt.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #124 on: 15 February, 2019, 02:08:07 am »
Commuters being the only people who count is hardly GWR specific.  Look at any TOC in the country.  Or most other non-freight transport (including, sadly, quite a lot of cycle campaigning).

This is recent tho. If you look at the number 1 cycle campaign group for the UK, Sustrans, for decades they seemed to be more about somewhere nice to cycle on a Sunday afternoon, than a viable way of getting from a to b.

Sure it's nice to be able to use decent cycle infrastructure for the Sunday afternoon ride home from the pub lunch. But the reality is, for most people, their most important journey is the one they take too/from work, on Monday through Friday. Infact for many people it's the primary reason they have their car. Replace that journey with a cycle journey, and you take a lot of traffic off the road.

Even if people primarily use a train to get to/from work, they will often drive too the station at one end.

Yes travel is commuter centric, but that's because it's the main source of transport.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/