Author Topic: Genesis Day 01 Disc  (Read 45328 times)

Re: Genesis Day 01 Disc
« Reply #100 on: 18 July, 2014, 09:30:01 am »
I don't know about bombing up hills but I certainly have been bombing down hills.  The reliability of the discs has meant my downhill speed are going up as I leave braking later and later.

« Reply #101 on: 23 July, 2014, 08:06:25 am »
I just bought one of these second-hand, a 2014 model in lovely olive green. I almost immediately trashed the left crank pedal thread by not doing the pedal up tight enough, so I now have a 170mm Sturmey Archer crankset on it, which looks pretty much identical to the stock version.

I absolutely love it, so much so that my next bike may well be a more "road" single speed such as the Genesis Flyer, as opposed to my original plan that n+1 should be a modern geared road bike (the only other bike I have is a late 70's Carlton Corsair 10-speed). I see this year's Flyer will be £100 less than the 2014 model, and in a "cherry bomb" colour which I'm hoping means chrome finishing kit.

The 42x18 gearing seems to make it very eager, as I've seen mentioned in reviews. It's ideal for a shortish commute or a commute with a few hills, as I think on the flat and down slight downhills I could use something higher geared to get a bit more speed. I'm lucky to get 20mph on the flat, when I feel like I'm sprinting like Sir Chris.  ;D

It seems a shame to change the gearing though, I really enjoy its personality now. Hence the need for n+1! My wife doesn't understand this logic, seems reasonable enough to me.  :D

« Reply #102 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »
I would agree with the gearing.  I have one hill I still struggle with but on the flat I am spinning out!  I am therefore looking at dropping the gearing and avoiding that hill for a while.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #103 on: 25 July, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
+1 on the 42x18 freewheel - the bike is surprisingly versatile in this mode and a freewheel mechanism isn't really over-doing the added technology.  On the fixed side I've just upped the gearing to 42x16 to make life downhill a bit easier (or the downhills a bit faster) compared with the previous 42x17.  Still very happy with my Day One, even if it doesn't have disks. It's the comfort and the handling that make it so nice  :)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #104 on: 28 July, 2014, 07:39:08 am »
I have actually just bought a 16t freewheel sprocket from Planet X, as I was attracted by the nice price (£15 for a Shimano), however I don't think I'll be comfortable tackling the 2 or 3 hills on my route with that, not yet anyway. I think 42x16, for me, would probably be good for a slightly lighter bike with slicker tyres.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #105 on: 18 March, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »
Ooops- seem to have had an accident with the PayPal button over a ex-display 58cm...  :)
How tall are you? what's yer inseam?

5' 12"  ;) with a 32" inseam; a 56 would probably be a better fit (all the others in the stable are 56/56), but given the bargin price, I can adapt.

Iddu - I think I'm about the same size as you, so how is the fit? The 2014 frames are reduced now, but cheapest only available in 54. Would that definitely be too small, do you think?

Hmmm - http://www.broakland.com/dixie.html

Worth a punt?

[edit]
OK, you need adapter + locking on a F(drive)+F(brake), but would just need appropriate spacing on F(drive)+SS(brake) for rotor alignment
[/edit]

Has anyone tried a dixie? I don't think it'd need a lockring unless you anticipate braking while going backwards (but willing to be corrected on that)

Also, has anyone had experience of the TRP Hylex hydraulic road brakes/levers?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #106 on: 18 March, 2015, 04:27:07 pm »
The 58 fits fine - shorter 90mm stem for the reach, but I really don't notice the difference; yes, if you're the same shape as me you'd probably find the 54 odd and undersized...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Reg.T

« Reply #107 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:11:46 pm »
Ooops- seem to have had an accident with the PayPal button over a ex-display 58cm...  :)
It happens so easily - I've just had a similar mishap, so I now appear to be repatriating a 2014 Day One 853 56cm frameset from "SM Parts" (snigger) in Germany.  ;D

Reg.T

« Reply #108 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »
And here it is built up:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #109 on: 22 May, 2015, 12:36:44 pm »
Lovely!  (I am biased though!).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #110 on: 22 May, 2015, 05:38:37 pm »
Indeed. I must get a pic of mine on here sometime...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #111 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:17:06 pm »
Indeed. I must get a pic of mine on here sometime...

IIRC, very similar to Reg.T's (without the rack and slack chain though  ;) :P ;D)

« Reply #112 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:31:20 pm »
I'm back on my Day One Disc. Initially I thought it would be a bit of a lump for my commute, but it's working out well if a little slower than gears. There aren't really many parts of the commute where I spin out anyway. Now that I'm going a fair way (57 mile round trip), I am a little nervous that I'd be up the proverbial without a thingy should the freewheel decide to give out. However I had fair warning of that last time so I should be able to change it before it fails completely. I've got a 16t on the back now, with 42t still on the front. I reckon I could go slightly higher, but I'm wary of the westerlies we get around here and a west-bound home leg could get very tiring.

« Reply #113 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
More news! I bought a 16t disc cog from Velosolo the other day. I flipped the wheel and tyre and put the cog on, but didn't appreciate that it was pretty much a very good idea indeed to ride with some form of pedal/foot restraint. I have some touring shoes and spd pedals so I need to get used to them first before venturing too far on the Genesis. All in all, it was weird. It felt worrying in that it was obvious that a one-footed approach to speed reduction using the pedals had pretty much no effect. Hopefully the spds, suitably tenioned, will help in that respect.

« Reply #114 on: 01 October, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »
I just bought a Genesis Day One too. It’s a brilliant striking bit of kit. Mudguards recommendations please. I don’t want a lot of faff.

Rims : Alex Rims XD-Elite, 32H
Tyres : Continental Sport Contact II SL, 700 x 35c

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #115 on: 01 October, 2015, 12:22:02 pm »
I put standard SKS chromoplastic ones on mine.  I bent the stays around the calipers in the same way as LEE did his.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #116 on: 01 October, 2015, 12:23:37 pm »
I put standard SKS chromoplastic ones on mine.  I bent the stays around the calipers in the same way as LEE did his.

See Page 3 for bending instructions and also quick-release stay adapters (SJSC)

I'm back on mine now Autumn is here.  It's been great since i got it (although I'd still prefer normal horizontal drop-outs than track drop-outs, which just add faff to puncture repair).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #117 on: 01 October, 2015, 12:30:44 pm »
Thanks!

« Reply #118 on: 07 October, 2015, 12:33:43 pm »
Another question about this bike. Alexis Rims with Conti sport contact = how much range of PSI do I have? Seems I can have it between 70-87?

« Reply #119 on: 07 July, 2016, 12:55:51 pm »
Hello, this been a while so I am not sure whether I'll get a response. So my brake pads are worn out and I am having a hellava time to find exactly what I need to buy to replace the pads! So as far as I can make out, my brakes are TRP Spyre-C. Now from where I see it, my pads seems to be round-ish and the pads are all square-ish or is that just an illusion?

« Reply #120 on: 04 August, 2016, 09:51:14 pm »
Surly do one - both my fixed gear MTBs have them.
Expensive, but worth it.
Thanks for that, found it on their site.

Tarty Bikes also seem do a range of fixed / disc hubs although from what it looks like the fixed thread doesn`t have the fixed `track type` lockring possibility

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/135mm_fixed_hubs/c21.html
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above