Author Topic: Genesis Day 01 Disc  (Read 45337 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Genesis Day 01 Disc
« Reply #50 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:11:58 am »
They're nice bikes - if they weren't, I wouldn't have two of them, albeit the earlier non-disc versions  :P
They're surprisingly versatile, too - my 'original' is set up with an Alfine-8, whilst the other (currently set up on the turbo) is in the stock fixed/free setup and may well get the S3X wheel off my Dave Yates in the fullness of time.

The Day One does come with screw adjusters for the dropouts which are, frankly, a bit shit - I'm using a chain-tug on the yellow (fixed) Genesis but nothing at all on the orange Day One because I've yet to find a tug which is compatible with Alfine anti-turn washers.

Disc brakes and slot dropouts are a bit faffy, but not excessively so IME - at least with BB7s you've got a bit of scope for adjustment.

In fact, the only thing wrong with the current crop of Day Ones is that the colours are a bit boring ;D

LEE

« Reply #51 on: 23 November, 2012, 04:51:47 pm »
<ot>
on tarmac braking into the corners can be pretty dangerous no matter what you drive or ride; slowing down should be made before the corner/turn in as straight line as possible.
</ot>

I was really referring to downhill corners (I didn't make it clear) to avoid picking up speed and to avoid the front wheel washing out (especially with the amount of leaves and gravel about right now).

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #52 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »
Mmmm - that Orbit looks a very nice bike, involving a different balance of compromises than a Day One. 

Now I do see the point of a rear disc brake (thanks Kim, Paul  :thumbsup: ) the Day One disc version is tempting me! Luckily I much prefer my 2011 yellow to the 2012 blue. And I can diminish rim wear by spending more time on fixed ... although I've always ridden a fixed wheel since I was 15 years old, and I'm growing to appreciate more and more the virtues of a single speed freewheel  :)

I don't really understand interzen's comment:
The Day One does come with screw adjusters for the dropouts which are, frankly, a bit shit - I'm using a chain-tug on the yellow (fixed) Genesis but nothing at all on the orange Day One
because although the screw-in adjusters may appear a bit flimsy, and have the potential to come unscrewed all by themselves, they actually work great for me.  My puncture repair routine involves slackening only the drive side adjuster; undo the QR; twist the wheel in the frame to give enough slack to get the chain off the cog; do repair. Reinserting the wheel is a bit quicker if the NDS adjuster is still in the correct place, you just screw up the DS one until the wheel is straight again. I usually check the adjusters are tight when I'm cleaning the bike, but they don't seem to move.  I've used chain tugs before and they seem much more fiddly to me ...
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

LEE

« Reply #53 on: 25 November, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »
I've just purchased a Single-Speed with forward-facing, horizontal, drop-outs, a front disc brake and a long-drop rear caliper brake.

I've yet to take delivery (it's from Ebay) but it promises to meet my perfect Winter Bike specifications.  Genesis can wait until another day.

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
Whoops!

I accidentally pressed "Purchase" on the web site of a shop selling a Genesis Day One Disc.

Photos to follow when it arrives.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #55 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
What I like best about my Day One is the fit and handling.

What I like least are the mini-V brakes. They're effective but need treating with care as they can be grabby; I suppose the upside is that I've learned to brake very smoothly.

However picking the disc brake version of the Day One seems a great choice to me.

Looking forward to the pics ... a bit enviously  :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

LEE

« Reply #56 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:07:21 am »

I am now in the process of spoiling those classy lines with practical stuff like mudguards, saddlebag and road tyres.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #57 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:16:46 am »
NEEDS MOAR ORANGE! ;D

Also, as an FYI, it should take 32mm tyres with mudguards quite comfortably (both my Day One's are running 700x32 RibMos) - 700x35 + mudguards doesn't work. DAHIKT.

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:38:34 am »
It will be running 700x25 Marathons and narrow guards.

edit...like this

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #59 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:02:41 pm »
A beautiful bike.

What's the sizing like?

I went to a genesis stockist in london today (cyclelab) and chatted about the day 01 disc... apparently there are no more 54s available.

I'd thought that 54 would be my size, having checked the geometry tables against those for my current Audax bike, although it's a bit hard to tell, even using the horiz. TT measurements given the different ways that genesis and Felt seem to define their measurement according to their diagrams.

Anyway, the guy in the shop seemed to thing that  a 52 would be my size, but I'm a bit skeptical that I could be right at the lower end of their sizes.  I'm 5'9", and ride a 54cmFelt (which is comfortable for distances up to 600km so far, but does, if anything, feel not quite stretched out enough sometimes). 

How big are you, what size did you buy and how is the fit?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #60 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:04:43 pm »
Very nice bike  :)

« Reply #61 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »
I test rode a Croix de fer today, the 52. I'm 5 8 with a long back.

It was right size frame for me but I might fit a longer stem. The Croix df is surprisingly short. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #62 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:13:44 pm »
It would be interesting to hear how it works out with the disc brake and chain tensioning once you've got some miles on it.

« Reply #63 on: 18 May, 2013, 06:28:30 am »
It would be interesting to hear how it works out with the disc brake and chain tensioning once you've got some miles on it.

Exactly the same as it does on my Pompetamine I imagine: any wheel removal/adjustment has to be combined with a brake fettle, although as it is the rear, it is a non-critical event.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #64 on: 20 May, 2013, 03:12:57 pm »
I may have accidentally walked back over to cyclelab at lunch time and accidentally asked if they could get one of these in for me to accidentally check the sizing of.

LEE

« Reply #65 on: 20 May, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »
A beautiful bike.

What's the sizing like?

I went to a genesis stockist in london today (cyclelab) and chatted about the day 01 disc... apparently there are no more 54s available.

I'd thought that 54 would be my size, having checked the geometry tables against those for my current Audax bike, although it's a bit hard to tell, even using the horiz. TT measurements given the different ways that genesis and Felt seem to define their measurement according to their diagrams.

Anyway, the guy in the shop seemed to thing that  a 52 would be my size, but I'm a bit skeptical that I could be right at the lower end of their sizes.  I'm 5'9", and ride a 54cmFelt (which is comfortable for distances up to 600km so far, but does, if anything, feel not quite stretched out enough sometimes). 

How big are you, what size did you buy and how is the fit?

Well I have a garage full of bikes so I measured the top tube and seat tube on them all and averaged them.  It came very close to 56/56..so I got a 56cm frame.

I'm 5' 10" tall with short arms and it feels perfect so I'd say the stem/bars give it the feel of a 54cm frame. 
Stand-over height feels quite high so I'm glad I'm not 5' 9"..if you get my drift.

I went out for 106km yesterday and had no comfort issues at all (well, apart from my thighs complaining that I'm too fat to ride a single-speed up Hampshire hills all day).

One point worth noting is that the most recent photo shows different Tyres, Chainring and Freewheel to the ones that came with it.  It's a cyclo-cross bike and comes with Tyres and gearing to suit.  I knew this in advance and I had the components to swap over.  I now run 68" gearing and not the 63" it came with (a much prettier Chainring than the TK original)

I've already had more (positive) comments about it than almost any of my other bikes.  It seems a lot of people are looking at the disc-brake option (not so much the single-speed option).

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #66 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:59:34 am »
Well I have a garage full of bikes so I measured the top tube and seat tube on them all and averaged them.  It came very close to 56/56..so I got a 56cm frame.

I'm 5' 10" tall with short arms and it feels perfect so I'd say the stem/bars give it the feel of a 54cm frame. 
Stand-over height feels quite high so I'm glad I'm not 5' 9"..if you get my drift.

Thanks!

I checked my existing Audax bike (both on-paper and with a tape measure), and the (effective horizontal) top tube length is identical to that of the 52cm Day01, so the chap in the shop might be right about the size after all.  It still seems strange that I'm coming up at the extreme end of the size scale whilst being almost bang on average height.  I guess all will become clear when I try the beast later this week.

LEE

« Reply #67 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:01:50 am »
Some additional detail showing (big) clearances (with Schwalbe Marathon 700x25mm and SKS Narrow guards) and how to use SKS "safety" stay clips (normally used only at the front) at the rear to make wheel removal easy (simply pop the stays out of plastic clips).

You can also see bending of stays to get them around disc calliper.

Spacer is an old washer from a V-Brake pad assembly. I could probably get another spacer in there if I wanted a really snug fit.

SJS Cycles sell the clips for a couple of quid.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:03:26 am »
Such a lovely bike.   I just can't get past those forks.  Unicrown is one thing, but I find straight ones difficult.

They are a great ride, though. 
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #69 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:07:45 am »
Such a lovely bike.   I just can't get past those forks.  Unicrown is one thing, but I find straight ones difficult.

They are a great ride, though.

I know what you mean about straight forks Clarion.  Maybe I get on with them better because, as kids, we used to straighten our forks to make Cycle-Speedway bikes. 

Looks aside I have to say I can't tell the difference in ride between these and my curved steel and curved carbon forks, comfy and predictable. 

The Disc brakes have started to "come on line" now.  Initially they lacked any bite but they are clearly bedding in nicely. So simple to set up and adjust...nice job Avid.

One thing to note.  I'm used to Mavic Open Pro and Rigida Chrina rims.  These Alex rims don't "clinch" the tyre bead quite as naturally as the other 2 brands (using Marathons).  You really need to do a double check that the bead is seated properly or, as I found out, it will pop off the rim as you inflate tyre.  That's never been a problem before, once you get the bead onto the rim of an Open Pro it's properly seated, no need to check even.

It's not even a rim size issue as I can get a Marathon onto an Open Pro rim without tyre levers.  It must be a rim profile (clincher) thing.  It's no biggy though..just remember to check.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #70 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:44:49 am »
new bike and one bolt is already rusty ;). (must be from a spares box)

LEE

« Reply #71 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »
Yes..although I just received a package of M5 nuts, bolts and washers, so my Bitsa-box is replenished with shiny bits.

« Reply #72 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »
Yes..although I just received a package of M5 nuts, bolts and washers, so my Bitsa-box is replenished with shiny bits.

Packs of A2 (or A4 which has higher resistance to corrosion than A2) Stainless steel M5 socket cap screws/bolts[1] from Screwfix.

1. Not doing that argument again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #73 on: 21 May, 2013, 05:46:01 pm »

What is that bolt anyway? It doesn't seem to be related to caliper mount, axle or mudguard.

Nice mudguard line.

LEE

« Reply #74 on: 21 May, 2013, 08:45:17 pm »
It's a carrier braze-on (or mudguard braze-on depending which you want to use I suppose).

Instead of leaving them open to the elements I greased a couple of M5 bolts and fitted them.

I think I may have used a different one each side, because of the brake calliper.  It won't have a rack fitted so it's no biggy.