Author Topic: Mileater - 2016 and beyond  (Read 14389 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Mileater - 2016 and beyond
« Reply #25 on: 22 December, 2015, 09:53:27 am »
From memory, HK has mainly been wanting to boost the 'progressive and cumulative' aspects of the award. There is currently 30,000/ 60,000/ 90,000 cumulative distance patches available for purchase. She was talking about 100,000/ 200,000 cumulative distances being appropriate targets but I'll leave HK to describe the rest.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 22 December, 2015, 11:45:36 am »
My last Mileater diary was a couple of hundred commutes to work and a couple of 200km Randos, adding up to 10,000 km.
My employer took my company car off me because I hardly used it, so I thought ‘bollux, I’ll get a medal for the 35 miles per day cycling now I’m committed to it’.

It was a paper diary and wasn’t difficult to write “56 km” in the panel.

« Reply #27 on: 22 December, 2015, 01:21:15 pm »
The idea is to make it inclusive not exclusive and to facilitate people keeping their miles, comments, photos in a way that's meaningful to them.  There is no right or wrong way or format in keeping your Mileater in my world.

The hope would be that people would share their comments, observations and photos for at least one cracking good article a year.  The 300,000 miles club do this submitting a short paragraph about their year.

I'm not too keen on the idea of a'winner' each year, so would very much prefer inclusive awards if that was possible. AUK brands itself as 'the long distance cycling association' so the Mileater is a nice extension of logging brevets without creating a 'brevet Strava'.

Nev Chanin used to hand out Miles tea to Mileater folk which was kind of nice.

I've come to the forum to see if;

A) the Mileater still has a place in AUK

B) if the answer to a) is yes to bring it up to date and preferably something that the members want.

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #28 on: 22 December, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »
I for one just like the format and see no reason for change.
But then I can't be bothered with strava or "Garmins" (but I am IT literate; more or less)
Please keep paper format going as a record of our miles and for the annual abstracted comments published in Arrivee.
As for related awards---unlikely ever to trouble me unless I get something for x000k after long period of time?
Thanks for keeping the paper diary alive in this digital age.  :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 22 December, 2015, 03:31:31 pm »
Other point to ponder is whether indoor miles should count.

Noooooooo ..... surely only a short hop from there to "should I count the miles I was going to do but stayed under the duvet instead"  ;)

Indoor miles on a moving bike are perfectly legitimate, I reckon.

Indoor Joules on a stationary bike aren't miles. :)

« Reply #30 on: 22 December, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »

A) the Mileater still has a place in AUK ...

I've been interested in reading peoples thoughts about this too, especially after HK's comments about it not really attracting a lot of attention with AUK members.

It's not something that appeals to me personally but I'm curious to see if there is still life in the MileEater for others.  It's never really struck me as "Audax";  although you can certainly include your long distance rides, it's more about popping down to the shops, riding to work, going on your cycling holidays, just the day to day living but on a bike.  There's no necessity to pre-state your ride intentions, and there's no validations.  It's always seemed to me as more of a CTC thing.

However, I have no agenda here, and I certainly have no desire to kill it off.  Audax UK is certainly broad enough to include other "speciality" areas, such as AAA and OCD, and I have to say I doubt CTC would be interested in running the MileEater!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 22 December, 2015, 06:36:22 pm »
Mileater is possibly better aligned with the CTC ('old CTC) in much the same way as AAA or OCD is but the new CTC isn't interested in that sort of thing very much. There are some historic links with Mick Potts of the Derby Mercury creating the Mileater for AUK quite a few years ago.

« Reply #32 on: 22 December, 2015, 09:23:25 pm »
The Mileater was started within AUK by Mick Latimer. He was inspired to set up the award because he saw AUK members Neville Chanin and Chris Davies writing their miles in CTC diaries and felt that they should have something better, hence the paper diaries.

The Mileater scheme was set up by Mick when he returned to Australia.  Mick had been a very active AUK.

The connection with AUK and mileating is 300,000 mile club. If you look down their list of members and hall of fame residents you will see lots of familiar names such as Jim Hopper, Pat Kenny, Nev Chanin, Chris Davies, Dave Poutney, McNasty to name but a few.  Therefore Mileating is an extension of AUK activities and has super close links with 300,000 miles club. To include it within AUKs range of activities I think is very appropriate.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 22 December, 2015, 09:31:56 pm »
True HK. Brain fade on my part with the wrong Mick.

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:03:35 pm »
The vast majority of my mileage, by a very long way, is clocked up outside of brevets.  Where it is from the house I do it without GPS or any other navigational aid other than my knowledge of the lanes.  So were I to take part it'd need to be a system where I didn't need to load any GPS tracks anywhere.  If I could log online my mileage, date, short comment on weather and ride and perhaps load a photo and see how others are getting on I might be likely to take part. I think online might push me to up the mileage rather just record what I'm doing anyway. But I do like the idea of just quickly jotting it down in a diary.

« Reply #35 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:05:11 pm »

The vast majority of my mileage, by a very long way, is clocked up outside of brevets.  Where it is from the house I do it without GPS or any other navigational aid other than my knowledge of the lanes.  So were I to take part it'd need to be a system where I didn't need to load any GPS tracks anywhere.  If I could log online my mileage, date, short comment on weather and ride and perhaps load a photo and see how others are getting on I might be likely to take part. I think online might push me to up the mileage rather just record what I'm doing anyway. But I do like the idea of just quickly jotting it down in a diary.

That's why I'm suggesting keeping some form of paper diary as well as spreadsheets and on-line. There is no wrong way to record you rides.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #36 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:10:51 pm »

Ahem... https://www.mycyclinglog.com/group_view.php?gid=598
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #37 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:55:00 pm »

A) the Mileater still has a place in AUK ...

I've been interested in reading peoples thoughts about this too, especially after HK's comments about it not really attracting a lot of attention with AUK members.

It's not something that appeals to me personally but I'm curious to see if there is still life in the MileEater for others.  It's never really struck me as "Audax";  although you can certainly include your long distance rides, it's more about popping down to the shops, riding to work, going on your cycling holidays, just the day to day living but on a bike.  There's no necessity to pre-state your ride intentions, and there's no validations.  It's always seemed to me as more of a CTC thing.

However, I have no agenda here, and I certainly have no desire to kill it off.  Audax UK is certainly broad enough to include other "speciality" areas, such as AAA and OCD, and I have to say I doubt CTC would be interested in running the MileEater!
I would say that Mileater is a far more appropriate place to log non brevet distance than turning say a Sportive into a brevet by recording it on your GPS.

Including your miles say to work or hauling the shopping home is perfectly valid. Nobody is worried about AAA points being acquired on a 50km ride home from work.

Anybody who has ridden a good years total will know its a worthy  long distance challenge. And for folks like the late great Pat Kenny, to ride 30,000 miles in a year has to involve more than popping down to the shops as that's 82 miles a day. 

« Reply #38 on: 22 December, 2015, 11:47:41 pm »
I would say that Mileater is a far more appropriate place to log non brevet distance than turning say a Sportive into a brevet by recording it on your GPS.

Somewhat off-topic I know but this reads like you are, belatedly,objecting to the amendment to Appendix 7.1 enacted by the Board over a year ago and ratified at the recent AGM?   Apologies if I'm reading too much in to it, but I do think it's a shame you were not around on the AUK forum (or indeed at the AGM itself) to debate the point.

« Reply #39 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:59:23 am »

Somewhat off-topic I know but this reads like you are, belatedly,objecting to the amendment to Appendix 7.1 enacted by the Board over a year ago and ratified at the recent AGM?   Apologies if I'm reading too much in to it, but I do think it's a shame you were not around on the AUK forum (or indeed at the AGM itself) to debate the point.
My point is, that as AUK has accepted this its then very difficult to suggest that the Mileater isn't relevant to the portfolio of its award schemes, particularly given its history explained further up thread  and length of time its been running, since 1990.

« Reply #40 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:17:44 am »
Here’s a question.

When riding a Calendar or Perm event, that brevet can be used in the pursuit of ONLY one award. Is this true?
Therefore, all distance logged in a Mileater diary cannot be used to claim individual medals or patches. This is the way I rode year 2000. Everything was for the 10,000 km mileater medal.

Mind you, only 2 x 200km Randos were included in my Mileater diary.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:21:12 am »
Your initial assumption is wrong. You could use the same event to simultaneously claim Super Randonneur, Randonneur Round the Year, Brevet 2000, Randonneur 5000 and others. If you want to do something different, that is your choice.

« Reply #42 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:50:31 am »
HK, I would be up for this and to be honest I have been procrastinating sending my cheque off as I am just not sure if I would want/remember/bother to keep the written diary.

This year I have kept track of milage via Strava/RWGPS and I was keeping notes via my blog although most of this is in note form that I need to put together.

I have been surprised at how many people have commented that they enjoy reading the posts and I am pretty determined that I am going to make more effort to keep the written side updated in the next year.

I also do a lot of my milage outside of Brevet and I intend to get my youngest out on the road this year so although I suspect less milage it should still be interesting.

I may have missed it but if I want to join the 'programme ' do I still send off my cheque and SAE?

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #43 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:52:04 am »

I think Strava is still a viable (free) option for collating your ride data, especially without a GPS unit.
I kept spread sheets, used a program called tracklogs for years, but that's all gone. replaced by Strava which in my view is such a strong product that its here to stay. I barely look at any of the speed data

Any ride can be entered manually just like a diary, adding comments and photos as you want, they can also be added historically. While laid up for three months this year I passed the time and had great fun remembering all my past 10 years big rides and adding them manually from my other logs. It also provided the added of attraction of passing 100K miles logged on Strava.

« Reply #44 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:02:32 am »
Your initial assumption is wrong. You could use the same event to simultaneously claim Super Randonneur, Randonneur Round the Year, Brevet 2000, Randonneur 5000 and others. If you want to do something different, that is your choice.

Then I was told wrong in 1995.

The organiser at my second event, a 200, told me I couldn't have a medal for that event and count it in the Rando 500 patch. I could do either but not both.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:34:02 am »
Organisers can be wrong.

« Reply #46 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:51:44 pm »
tippers_kiwi,

Sounds like you have an article for Arrivee there!

« Reply #47 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:52:42 pm »
Don't know what's happening about submitting 2015 diaries and how entries work for 2016.

Given the interest here I will go and have further discussions with the Board.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #48 on: 23 December, 2015, 04:26:28 pm »
I've kept notebooks with miles and routes done since 1994 and, being a creature of habit, will keep it up.  But I do quite like the idea of making it official.  It counts every ride I've done, even the quarter mile round the block to test whether the brakes work after I've adjusted them.  I've no thought of putting something on Strava - I very much doubt that in 15 years time records stored in such a means will be accessible whereas (rather quaintly) I can still trace the route of my 1994 rides from my paper records.  Dates and distances are recorded in spreadsheet for use in calculating Eddingtons etc

So I'd be quite happy to join Mileater- even if I am very unlikely to reach the 300,000 mile club (would need 13,000 miles a year for the next 19 years and Mrs CET is definitely not going to let that happen!)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #49 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:37:44 pm »
I very much doubt that in 15 years time records stored in such a means will be accessible whereas (rather quaintly) I can still trace the route of my 1994 rides from my paper records

This is a very real problem.  Babylonian records on stone tablets are more easily read than stuff on obsolete hardware and software.  Even AUK ride records from before 2000 are not available on the current computer system, as they are on paper somewhere and it would be an impossibly enormous task to scan it all.  Or at least I doubt anyone would volunteer to take it on.