Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718426 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #750 on: 11 February, 2010, 08:51:34 am »
I think you were very wise to just hole up at the Square & Compasses.  Last night was no night for a 5 pub extravaganza.

Glad the studs worked and those without studs don't appear to have hurt themselves too badly.

« Reply #751 on: 11 February, 2010, 09:35:48 am »
Aching big time this morning, I prefer offroad stacks  :(

like I said ice tyres are the way forward, where do I buy them again :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #752 on: 11 February, 2010, 09:41:30 am »
Aching big time this morning, I prefer offroad stacks  :(

like I said ice tyres are the way forward, where do I buy them again :facepalm:

Got mine from Dot Bike.  Think Oaky did too.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #753 on: 11 February, 2010, 08:11:36 pm »
Yep - I certainly did. 

Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance Wire On Tyre - £34.74 | Dotbike

They're out of stock at the moment, showing March 10th as expected date (they were also out of stock when I ordered them - it took about a month for supplies to come over from Germany).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #754 on: 15 February, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »
As you may have noticed I am struggling to turn out regularly on these rides - primarily due to work  >:(   :hand:

I cannot make Wednesday 24th February but can get out the day before (23rd).  Any one fancy joining me?  Not sure where to go yet.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #755 on: 16 February, 2010, 02:03:45 pm »
As you may have noticed I am struggling to turn out regularly on these rides - primarily due to work  >:(   :hand:

I cannot make Wednesday 24th February but can get out the day before (23rd).  Any one fancy joining me?  Not sure where to go yet.

Tuesday evening is a possibility. I'd be interested, barring apocalyptic weather.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #756 on: 16 February, 2010, 06:05:30 pm »
Sorry, I've been a bit rubbish at these rides too. Things seem busy at the moment with work (well, busier than normal) and I tend not to feel like turning out in the cold and dark to go for a long drive/cycle. I may appear more regularly when the weather improves!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #757 on: 16 February, 2010, 08:14:08 pm »

Tuesday evening is a possibility. I'd be interested, barring apocalyptic weather.

As I drove from Leeds to Poole this afternoon [joy] I was wondering about a gentle ascent of North Hill and then onwards to The Hurdlemakers.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #758 on: 16 February, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »

As I drove from Leeds to Poole this afternoon [joy] I was wondering about a gentle ascent of North Hill and then onwards to The Hurdlemakers.

Is that an audax control?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #759 on: 16 February, 2010, 08:22:34 pm »
No, only weirdos do audaxes.  Thus, I am ruled out and I don't like orange squash.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #760 on: 16 February, 2010, 09:10:28 pm »
   I'm out for tomorrow, I fear :(. Mrs T is hitting the West End for the evening-girls night out to 'Les Miserables' [and Burnham is quite a long trek on a February night, even for a weird audaxer!]
    Next week's venue in Stock looks more likely.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #761 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:01:16 am »
What's tomorrow's planned venue?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #762 on: 17 February, 2010, 07:05:06 am »
What's tomorrow's planned venue?

Tonight's venue is here:-

17 Feb 2010   White Hart   Burnham on Crouch

Mid-Essex Mid-Week nocturnal Series venues 6/1/2010 -- 7/7/2010

I won't be able to come out to play tonight though since mrs_o is out and about.

Cheers,
Mark

Oscar's dad

« Reply #763 on: 23 February, 2010, 03:26:47 pm »

Change of plan, I won't be going out tonight, I had a quick whiz round at lunch time.  Only 12 miles but smashing all the same.  The lanes hereabouts are very wet.  Big deep puddles and lots of shallow surface water which would make excellent ice if we get a frost.

I still can't make tomorrow night.  Have fun if any of you make it out.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #764 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »
So who is going to the Hoop tomorrow night? I could, but may be able to take time off for a ride during the day instead, if the weather is reasonable.

« Reply #765 on: 24 February, 2010, 12:28:47 am »
I won't be out to play tonight

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #766 on: 24 February, 2010, 06:52:50 am »
I can't make it tonight either :(

Should be OK for next week though  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #767 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:50:18 am »
If thats just me, then I guess I'll pass too. Next week should be possible, though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #768 on: 28 February, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »
Anyone up for this Wednesday?  I note it's chief's hosted ride but if that's too much of a faff let's just pick a mutually acceptable pub.  The weather is set to be windy but dry.

« Reply #769 on: 28 February, 2010, 09:57:15 pm »
Well, I know the route for Wednesday night, but, I'm not sure it's going to be that enjoyable given the downpours  :-\  I'd like to postpone the route until the conditions improves if that's ok with everyone?

Pub wise for wednesday I'm up for another if it doesn't involve wheel spinning in mud.  I'd like to suggest the Compasses Litley Green as it's my fav'.  If not up for another.

Eitherway, will head over to Witham for 7pm ish if the main convoy is heading from there

Chief

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #770 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »
'mupfrit!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #771 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:59:36 am »
Well, I know the route for Wednesday night, but, I'm not sure it's going to be that enjoyable given the downpours  :-\  I'd like to postpone the route until the conditions improves if that's ok with everyone?

Pub wise for wednesday I'm up for another if it doesn't involve wheel spinning in mud.  I'd like to suggest the Compasses Litley Green as it's my fav'.  If not up for another.

Eitherway, will head over to Witham for 7pm ish if the main convoy is heading from there

Chief

Ah yes, I had forgotten you were intending to take us down Paths to Damnation bridleways  :o  You sinner!  I thought that after the Freeze Your Bits Off ride we had decided that bridleways were no place for self respecting cyclists  ;D

A trip to the Compasses at Littley Green is never a chore so the plan gets my vote.  More than happy for us all to assemble at The Gateway to Righteousness my garage door at 7pm if that fits in with everyone's plan.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #772 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:29:08 pm »

Chief

Ah yes, I had forgotten you were intending to take us down Paths to Damnation bridleways  :o  You sinner!  I thought that after the Freeze Your Bits Off ride we had decided that bridleways were no place for self respecting cyclists  ;D

A trip to the Compasses at Littley Green is never a chore so the plan gets my vote.  More than happy for us all to assemble at The Gateway to Righteousness my garage door at 7pm if that fits in with everyone's plan.

Depending on the vagaries of the LU Central line and National Express East Anglia, the earliest I can be at Witham station is usually 19:07.  If I do the same as for the last MEMWNS (take my cycling gear into work and change in the train loos) then I can be ready to set off pretty much as soon as I've arrived.

I will check, though, if there's any possibility of starting and leaving work earlier that day.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #773 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:56:16 pm »
I'll head straight for the Compasses as I can't usually leave much before 7. If all goes according to plan, I will have taken part of the day off to do my 100km 'Boudicca's Revenge' permanent; so this will be a recovery ride, [with rehydration therapy ;D.]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #774 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »
Mark, would it be easier if we met you at the station?