Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 434782 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1175 on: 09 January, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »
I haven't looked at the leaderboard. Not interested. I'm doing it for me. And the team, obviously.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1176 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:37:47 pm »
As the 'competition' is consistency it's all a bit bollocks at this stage, no?

citoyen

« Reply #1177 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
I suppose it's conceivable that some people are doing three or more runs per day. But unlikely.

I've just logged my second run for the week and rated it: "Great, I feel amazing." It was just the usual lunchtime route, and wasn't especially fast, but it went really well, considerably better than on Monday's lunchtime slog. This is encouraging.

« Reply #1178 on: 09 January, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »
Well, the team seems to be coming along nicely, although I can't help thinking that Swiss Hat has given himself some running to do at the end of the week, with 6 to do by Sunday.

All going to plan, I've logged 2 & also run this evening. Will have short run out in local park tomorrow, long slow run on Sat and XC race on Sun. Add in the cycle commuting all week + circuits on Monday for a full week! 

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1179 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:43:21 am »
I have been reminded this week of my dislike for running. Meh.

I think with the return to work after a 2 week break, combined with cycle commuting again after a 2 week break has perhaps made adding running on top that bit harder. Oof I'm tired and my legs hurt.

I went for a run as soon as I got home from work on Monday night so it was essentially a brick session, jumping straight off the bike and onto the run. Ouch.

I got home late'ish Tues-Thurs so couldn't face going for a run. If it wasn't for Jantastic, there is no way I would have dragged myself out of bed early this morning to go for a run before work. I'm not a morning person. Ouch, again. Still, at least run 2 is done so one more this week, planned for Sunday.

So yay to Jantastic otherwise I would have stayed snuggled up in bed. But boo to running generally. I'm really hoping by sticking at it, my view will change.

« Reply #1180 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:10:42 am »
But boo to running generally. I'm really hoping by sticking at it, my view will change.
I used to hate it, and generally hate doing things I'm utterly rubbish at. I can't even remember why I thought I'd give it a proper go this time. Might just have been for the Zombies, tbh.
I'm still utterly rubbish at running but I do like
  • getting in the zone where you feel like you could keep running for hours
  • the way you can go out for half an hour and it still be worth doing
  • being ready to leave in seconds
  • solitary early mornings
  • going places you can only go on foot

I have to say though, running up Ingram Valley, even in the pissing rain, is a lot nicer than pounding the streets of BSE after a long boring day at work.
Maybe the fact I'm utterly rubbish is motivating in itself? I see 'improvements' every week- last night I ran without any walking intervals all the way from Battlies Green home- 5km. That's the furthest EVAH and I felt like an absolute GOD.
(It was outrageously slow but I don't care. I am a GOD)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1181 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:18:34 am »
riding to work i was thinking about jantastic and what i would consider a run. i came to conclusion that to say "i did a run" i'd have to run 3km or more. regarding cycling, probably anything over 20km can be considered a ride.
what distance run would you call a workout?

Chris S

« Reply #1182 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:23:19 am »
what distance run would you call a workout?

That's relative, isn't it? For me a run to Tesco, which is over there ------------->

(points out of window at Tesco, 300m away)

would be a workout.

« Reply #1183 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:24:23 am »
Quote from: jantastic
What constitutes a run?

It’s really up to you but we think that as a minimum going for a run means your running gear on and completing a run or walk/run workout of one mile or more.

Putting your gear on and running first thing on a Saturday morning for one mile or more = a run
Running to catch a bus on your way home = not a run
Running to and from work, separated by a day in the office = two runs.
Running to the cafe, enjoying a brew for 10minutes, running home = one run.
Ultimately, this is an honesty based challenge. The real competition is with yourself. If you think it really doesn’t constitute a run, then it probably doesn’t.

I'd say half an hour~3km is about right, and would also say it takes 20km to be a ride. 30km, in the summer. A mile doesn't seem enough, but maybe it is if you actually run, rather than shamble.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1184 on: 10 January, 2014, 06:22:35 pm »
Another wee run today, using Couch to 5k week 5 run 1 as a base.  Ended up 4.55km in 36min 10 seconds.   :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1185 on: 10 January, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »
I'm now five from five for Jantastic having run 24 km this week and ParkRun tomorrow :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1186 on: 11 January, 2014, 09:01:40 am »
I agree Pippa, if it hadn't been for Jantastic I wouldn't have run last Thursday. I had all the excuses not to. 3rd run on Sunday. I've lost over 1kg over the last 10 days. I'm motivated now. Thinking of doing an ECE parkrun on Saturdays at Osterley Park.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1187 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:18:34 am »
I've just finished 7th consecutive days of running by doing a ParkRun & then running the 5 km home. Ouch.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1188 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »
Well something has gone wrong with my Park Run time cos I finished in top 20 (based on number of folks in front of me & my finishing number), but I've been credited it position 60. Hmm....

Excellent! I was wondering whether you might score 120% for that, but it seems not.

It seems sensible that I get 100 % or else lots of folk would opt for three runs per week and then do six / seven runs etc to get 200+ %.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1189 on: 12 January, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »
Run 3 done. That felt a LOT better than the other 2. I guess going in the afternoon when I was well rested and well fed rather than first thing in the morning or straight from the cycle commute home helped. I knocked nearly 20secs off my average km pace and actually ran the second half of the run at the kind of pace I would like to be consistenly running at. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fast at all - sub 30 mins 5km and I'd be happy, but this now seems more realistic than it did earlier in the week. Phew. Motivation restored.

« Reply #1190 on: 12 January, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »
:thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1191 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »
Running 7½ km in the rain after a 10 hour working day is made worse when you can feel the bonk getting closer and closer. But on the bright side, that's my first Jantastic run of the week done :thumbsup:.

« Reply #1192 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:53:24 pm »
First run since 17 December. Slow.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1193 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »
Back on the treadmill at work. I'll sleep well tonight (the run was followed by 20 mins on the step machine and then 20 mins on the rowing machine)!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1194 on: 16 January, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
Much more mortal (to the point of troglodyte) tonight. Meh. The stats aren't much different, but tonight definitely felt like a walk with jogging interludes rather than vice versa.

citoyen

« Reply #1195 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
Second run of the week done at lunchtime but I haven't updated Jantastic yet.

It was glorious out there today. Perfect conditions for running - sunny and cool. Positively spring-like. Slightly odd in the middle of January.

citoyen

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1196 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:29:35 pm »
Weighed in at <69kg this morning for the first time since early October.

Ran 21.19 at this morning's parkrun - my first short 21 since early October.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1197 on: 18 January, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »
I'm done for Jantastic Week #2 , and I managed to duck under 19 mins for the ParkRun this morning & then enjoyed felt OK on the 6½ km run home :thumbsup:.

« Reply #1198 on: 18 January, 2014, 04:21:27 pm »
A lap of Richmond Park this morning for me including 2 x 3 hills. But I tripped over a branch on descent of Star and Garter hill and fell full length in the mud grazing both knees and putting hole in running tights  >:( Must have looked a sight on rest of lap and got a few smiles from others. Perhaps I should have ridden the Willy Warmer instead?

« Reply #1199 on: 18 January, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »
Today, I hope to do my second run of the week.  I logged my first yesterday together with a joker.  I'm having a sparse week with travelling and losing a day.  It would be easy to not run at all, so I'm happy I signed up to Jantastic.