Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 434136 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1200 on: 18 January, 2014, 07:42:42 pm »
I've done all mine.  :smug:
Didn't do the parkrun as last week's was depressingly slow hard work in the mud, so I went and played in the woods.
Managed to get in the zone and floated (as much as anyone with a BMI of 30+ can float) over mossy tussocks with a big fat grin on my face.
Bit grumpy afterwards as I know I covered 10km but the GPS didn't get signal until part way round, and as everyone knows, if there's no recording, it didn't happen.

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1201 on: 19 January, 2014, 04:09:17 am »
Nope, I didn't do my run today.  I was told it was too hot to run, what can you do but agree.  Never mind, it was a good week to use the joker.  Tomorrow I'll be up before breakfast.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1202 on: 19 January, 2014, 02:18:11 pm »
I just updated Jantastic and I noticed that it had me down for only 67% (ie 2 out of 3 runs) for week 1. Chiz! I did the runs and I was sure I'd updated the log... What a nuisance.

Anyway, I'm down as 100% for week 2 at least.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1203 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:02:52 am »
So. Ice. What do you do for that, then?
My trail shoes have mud shedding grip but the sole is quite a hard compound and is slippy on shiny wet concrete. The other trainers have less tread.
Do I find a school playing field and do laps of it, avoiding unsalted pavements?
Or is there a secret?

Chris S

« Reply #1204 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:22:04 am »
Or is there a secret?

A treadmill.

* runs and hides *

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1205 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:52:29 am »
Yup. If there's enough ice around to be dangerous, off-road is often at its best.

(Playing fields are safest. Or you can take an exciting gamble on footpaths that are too muddy on warm winter days; Will you get lovely frosty ground? Or muddy puddles with a deceptive skin of ice on top?!? )

Sustrans routes are usually quite good - I always knew they had a use...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1206 on: 21 January, 2014, 12:56:22 pm »
If there's loads of ice and snow, then some sort of shoe grips/chains/spikes can help. eg Yaktrax.
Though they are not very good on tarmac, rather slippy and will probably wear out quickly. So I wouldn't use them if its only a few patches of ice.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1207 on: 24 January, 2014, 03:01:53 pm »
It seems we can now set our Feb targets on Jantastic. We need to set the number of runs per week and a distance for the longest run of the week. I've decided to stick with 3 runs per week as that at least seems doable. I've set my long runs for each week at 5km. Yeah ok that isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things, but if I can consistently run 5km every week for four weeks, that will be the most consistent running I will have ever achieved ever.

Actually, the last 3 weeks of Jantastic have been the most consistent running I've ever done (even when I did a triathlon a few years ago - no wonder I limped around the 10kms). I started out at the beginning of Jan just going for 20 mins each run and have built it up by 2 mins each week, so that should take me to 28 mins for the first week of Feb. I think my time for 5km should be about 31-32 mins (I'd love it to be sub 30 mins but that can come later). I guess with 5km as my target I can just aim to go to Parkrun each week and run/jog (well, not walk) all the way round.

So yes I'm slow, but I figure slow runs is better than no runs. And 5km seems achievable whereas this time last year 5 mins was a daunting enough challenge.

« Reply #1208 on: 24 January, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »
My 5k times are in this thread somewhere and they're not sub-30 minutes! I have a plan/goal that my park run times should be less than my BMI... but I'm losing weight a bit too fast, damn it.

My feeling is- I'm not a runner. I'm short & fat & muscled rather than lean and slight, so I'm not built for it. I can't imagine that's ever, really, going to change, but as per thread title, I think I am getting considerable cross training benefits. And by all accounts, consistency is key.

I don't think I can actually run for more than about 20 minutes, if I even manage that long. I'm working on slowing down even more on my long runs so I can run for longer without walking.

"run" is clearly not a very accurate description!

« Reply #1209 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:46:11 am »
I've told myself that when I get down to 85kg I'll give a Parkrun a try (there are two within a couple of miles from me so no excuse).

I can do 20 minutes on the treadmill at work but it's in a windowless airless room in the basement but, at current weight whilst I feel fine at 10 minutes I'm near collapse in a sweaty mess approaching 20 minutes. I know it gets easier as my weight goes down (and fitness goes up) as I built up to 35 minutes last year, but running outside should help with the overheating problem. I need airflow!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1210 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:15:17 pm »
I went for a lunchtime run with my colleague on Thursday. I'm 41, he's 28, but he struggles to keep up with me.

Thing is, he's over three stone heavier than me. He's not in bad shape, he's just bigger than me all round. Not built for running. It makes a huge difference.

I only started to enjoy running *after* I lost weight. I don't think I could have used running as a way to lose weight. I'm lucky that my physique is quite well suited to running - as long as I keep the excess off it.

« Reply #1211 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:33:15 pm »
I can run being heavy, I just hate it, but it's the best thing for stripping the weight off me given I don't have a huge amount of free time to do lots of other exercise (long slow rides worked wonders when I didn't have childcare responsibilities).

I can get through 35 minutes at 10.5kph on a treadmill when I'm 90kg (I'm a shortarse at 5'9").

It's considerably easier when I'm down under 80kg (but that's still me "overweight", I should be 76kg max, ideally 70kg but I haven't seen that since I was about 16).

To put it in context, I was ~80kg back in 2009 when I did rides like the Elenith, Bryan Chapman and LEL (all on fixed) and 84kg for PBP in 2011.

For the losing weight part it's not about enjoyment.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1212 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:34:47 pm »
It seems obvious to me that cycling is a better sport for the very overweight (or maybe rowing, or other obscure sports... ).
n.b. I'm not saying people should be told NOT to do something they really want to.

(There was an excellent post waaaay back from Lee about how 6st Kenyans were made for running, but not the rest of us. Slight exaggeration I think, but some truth in there! Can't find it now, sadly )

And seconds later, I come across this !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #1213 on: 25 January, 2014, 04:16:44 pm »
Yeah, and next week they're publishing a report on ursine toilet habits. Conclusion: yes, they do.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1214 on: 27 January, 2014, 12:02:47 pm »
A wee run today, 4.36km in 33min 12 seconds (includes 5 min warm up / warm down) - need to figure out how to set endomondo to take this into account...

« Reply #1215 on: 27 January, 2014, 02:24:38 pm »
A wee run today, 4.36km in 33min 12 seconds (includes 5 min warm up / warm down) - need to figure out how to set endomondo to take this into account...

RunDouble will ignore it.

I'm #1= in my local area.  :smug:

(There's loads of us on 100%, so no great victory)

I think we're doing pretty good as a team though.  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1216 on: 27 January, 2014, 05:16:02 pm »
Have just seen this thread, which prompts me to warn about how dangerous running can be....

I used to run when I was at school and gave up when I realised how much more ground you could cover on two wheels (and then four).  Later in adulthood discovered cycling, injured myself playing cricket and stuck to cycling rather than running.  Any cross training I did was in the gym and on rowing machines. 

A change of job brought me to an organisation that regularly entered 30+ runners into the Reading Half Marathon, so, not having run competitively for over 30 years (or at all for 15) I put on a pair of trainers and started off with a 2 mile loop around my suburb at the tail end of 2011.  I trained for the Reading Half, was satisfied with my time and hung by trainers up. 

A few months later Mrs CET, probably in an attempt to persuade me to cycle less, asked me why I wasn't running.  For which there were plenty of reasons, mostly unprintable, but summed up by "cycling hurts less than running".  However, in order to satisfy her indoors, I decided to do some more running and as a target entered the Basingstoke Half Marathon.  This went in a time which I was more than satisfied with but, unfortunately, also convinced me that I was a reasonable runner.   

Not one to do things by halves I decided I should fulfil one of those childhood goals and go for the full thing.  The Reading Half, the Combe Gibbet (a 16 mile cross-country run) as prep races, and the Milton Keynes Marathon.  The Reading Half was a new PB, the Combe Gibbet went better and the Milton Keynes Marathon was a disappointment as it took me 29 minutes more to do the second half than the first half.

Bored with running on roads, I entered the Clarendon Marathon which is an off-road event between Salisbury and Winchester in September last year and did a generally OK time, but found the off-road running much more entertaining than the road version, so have now entered the Sussex Coast Marathon with the joys of Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters.

So this weekend I ran 19 miles at some unseasonably early hour on Saturday as part of my marathon training and then rode 100km on the club run on Sunday.  The rest of the weekend was doing chores to earn enough brownie points from Mrs CET to make up for the aforementioned training. 

You have been warned....

And, in terms of improvements in my cycling.  Its difficult to measure much change, particularly as after 19 miles running the day before, the CCB club run was more daunting than it usually is.

However, because it is something different, I'm probably more excited about the Sussex Coast Marathon than I am about most of the cycling events I've got planned this year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

« Reply #1217 on: 27 January, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »
I know what you mean, CET. I don't want running to take over completely so I've set aside the first half of this year for cycling - get my SR in by the end of May (with a small running interlude for the local 10k) - but after that, it's into training for what will be my first full marathon in September (with a small cycling interlude for a second 600 in August).

I might even end up doing two marathons this year - after enjoying the Beauty & The Beast so much last year, which I did as part of a team so only ran a third of a marathon, I'm keen to do the whole thing solo. Not sure yet if it's actually on this year though. (I did have a look at the Sussex Coast marathon as well, funnily enough, but it clashes with something else, iirc. Looks like a fantastic course.)

And then after the marathon is out of the way, the intention is to spend next autumn/winter doing some more cyclocross.

citoyen

« Reply #1218 on: 28 January, 2014, 11:54:53 am »
I've set my Feb targets on Jantastic - gone for 10km as my longest run on weeks 1, 2 and 4 but 20km for week 3 as I'm off work that week and should have time to fit in a long one. Still pretty ambitious for me!

I may end up using my joker this week though - got a bit of a chesty cold thing going on. Planning a run at lunchtime today but will cut it short if it doesn't feel good.

« Reply #1219 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »
Ran for the first time since July this morning - ankles held out, which was a result. Only 5km (muddy, offroad), but felt great to be running again. Going to try for 3x a week.

« Reply #1220 on: 28 January, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »
If I can't get out on the bike I try to run. When I say try, I run/walk. I used to run a lot including marathons. But I'm a big heavy guy. 14stone. 6'2".
I've never been a great runner, just a runner. I could never get below 3.5 hours for a marathon.
I find if I slow down to a fast walk my body says, come on, and I'm off running again. I think I'm doing that Fartlek thing. Suppose to be good for the heart.
Anyway it's a good option off the bike. I'll go out running even if it's raining as I'm back in 40mins job done.
On the bike I need a couple of hours. No fun in the rain.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1221 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »
On the bike I need a couple of hours. No fun in the rain.

At the end of my 4 hour training ride on Sunday, 60km with club 40km on my own , cold wet and tired, on my own I looked enviously across the road at the runner heading in the opposite direction.  To be returned by an equally envious look at my wheels.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence….
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1222 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:01:45 am »
10 mile TTs - I feel pretty bloody f**ked after those 27mins.

I can still ride home afterwards - rather slowly, it must be said. Or I could do a 50min interval session from my door. A lot of this is mental - it is quite possible to ride a bike at 110bpm, but most people can't run at such a low effort level, and in fact tend to much higher levels even when any sensible training schedule would include some low-effort stuff.

If running has a "time advantage" it's in the kit aspects, especially in winter. Big win. But the flip-side is that you can get fit on a bike getting to work, or the shops, or a pub. For the most part your running session is wasted time.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence….
Indeed  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1223 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:03:30 am »
Did my first C25k session last night. Hope I can stick to it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1224 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:21:37 am »
the flip-side is that you can get fit on a bike getting to work, or the shops, or a pub. For the most part your running session is wasted time.
I'd dispute both those. If you think you're getting fit riding at 8-9mph for 15 minutes to the shops or to work, you're kidding yourself.
I run home from the station once a week. Takes an hour, as opposed to half an hour on the bike. I'm not alone in doing a running commute.