Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400248 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #950 on: 24 October, 2012, 08:49:17 pm »
I'm broken. Tried to do another 10km, warmed up jogging for a mile but pain from my left ankle so I stopped and limped back to the office (2.5 miles).

I think it's the peroneal tendon.

If it's the same one I damaged on PBP, you might find that walking is a big problem but you can cycle fine until you try to unclip (all be it a bit painful).
Does this mean we will not be requenting the gym this weekend?
I just got in from Spin&Abs followed by pilates classes so things will probably ache tomorrow anyway. I will probably ride 100k tomorrow unless it's too hurty!

« Reply #951 on: 24 October, 2012, 09:12:37 pm »
I'm broken. Tried to do another 10km, warmed up jogging for a mile but pain from my left ankle so I stopped and limped back to the office (2.5 miles).

I think it's the peroneal tendon.

I had months of peroneal tendonitis. Self-referral physio was okay but all it was was loads of ankle lifts and calf stretches. Worked eventually / spontaneous remission.

« Reply #952 on: 24 October, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »
Mine spontaneously remissed about 3 days after PBP. Other bits took longer to fully recover!

simonp

« Reply #953 on: 24 October, 2012, 09:31:37 pm »
Well, first challenge is getting home from work (I'm still there).

As for the gym, I might be able to swim. Treadmill is out. Rowing machine isn't an option if cycling causes pain. Upper body resistance work won't be affected (but I've not recovered from Monday's 77 press-ups yet).

Good chance the race I'm training for is off.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #954 on: 25 October, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
Had a run with no hurty knee yesterday, so cautiously optimistic. 

I have this cockamamie theory that I can only run if I do it in addition to cycling as opposed to instead of.

« Reply #955 on: 26 October, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
Great run at lunchtime. Fixed hill repeats have been killing me - waking up in the night with sore quads. Colleague suggested I run instead of cycle, have a massive pig out, and get to bed early. I did that yesterday. Notwithstanding waking up in the night and being kept awake with sore legs (chocolate / ibuprofen / placebo fixed it), I woke up feeling great, and did my first sub-7min/mile run offroad in my vivobarefoots. Only 4.5miles, but it felt great. The ground was really soft, and the shoes felt perfect.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cross Training: Running
« Reply #956 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »
Took my running shoes with me to Italy last week (wanted to take my bike but it wasn't practical). Only managed to fit in two runs but they were good ones. The second was an off-road trail that loops up the valley from where we were staying - only 5km but according to my gps, over 300 metres of ascent. Very steep and technical in places, but FUN! I want to do that again. ;D

I think the break and change of scenery have done me good because I went for my "regular" lunchtime run again today and knocked two minutes off my PB (8km in 35mins). That's only slightly slower than my best 5km pace.

Thinking of trying some intervals next to mix it up a bit.

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #957 on: 07 November, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »
Never done intervals, but have found myself sprinting to signs and stuff.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #958 on: 10 November, 2012, 11:42:40 am »
Run two of week 4 on the NHS Couch to 5K program.
Out of interest, tried running with a forefoot gait rather than my usual heel striking overpronating gait. 
Seemed to cause a lot less impact on knees.  Felt I was working my calfs / achillies tendon more though. 

citoyen

« Reply #959 on: 10 November, 2012, 01:48:29 pm »
20.44 on today's Parkrun - new PB! Pleased with that, though I was on course for sub-20.30 until I hit the wall towards the end. Felt at the end like I actually had the capacity to go a bit faster, and the stats show my HR never went much above 180, which is a good sign (not so long ago, I'd have been well into the 190s running at that pace). First km came up in 3.50 and felt comfortable, so I'm optimistic about achieving my 20min target before long…

d.

« Reply #960 on: 16 November, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »
Just ran 11.07km in 43m39 - that's equivalent to a 39m30s 10km - a huge PB for me. I haven't tried to run a fast 10km for about a year, and I know I'm a lot fitter than I was then, but that's a good 2 1/2 minutes quicker than I was hoping for.

I admit, I had a "precautionary" couple of puffs on my ventolin before I went out, and the 4 espressos I had this morning probably didn't hurt either. I AM actually asthmatic, so it's not like I've been hanging out with Dr Ferrari  :)

Still, for me that took a lot of suffering, and audio prompts from runkeeper every 250m to keep my pace up. That is as fast as I can go atm, I reckon, short of running with some faster people who I'd be embarrassed to be dropped by. There are a bunch of chaps from the MRC epid unit that run 40-42m 10kms as a lunchtime training run. I've been scared to go out with them, but I think I'll give it a go.

citoyen

« Reply #961 on: 17 November, 2012, 07:33:01 am »
Good work, Dr M.

I've been looking at my stats at
http://www.runbritainrankings.com/ - it's an interesting site for anyone with a slightly geeky approach to their running.

Slightly scary to see that the best Parkrun times anywhere in Britain for my age group are sub 15 minutes.

d.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #962 on: 17 November, 2012, 02:29:22 pm »
great effort chaps, it's a nice feeling to smash your pb! i've done another parkrun today in 19:19 and mrs z ran her first one in 29:23 - that's pretty good! precious time together followed by hearty breakfast - can a day start better than this?! can you tell i'm excited?! ;D

« Reply #963 on: 19 November, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
Cheers guys - awesome work my Mr & Mrs zigzag, and tremendous effort by Oranj - I think I would be happy forever if I could go sub 3h30 on a marathon.

I've still not got my head around how okay it is to be sore after a run. My calf muscles tighten up horribly after anything over 10km, and I usually get a bit of ITB tweakiness thrown in too. Makes me nervous to aim for anything more "committed" as I feel like I'll inevitably become frustrated by injuries. I've yet to run further than 15 miles in one go.

At the mo, alternating between running, cycling and concept2 is working for me.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #964 on: 19 November, 2012, 03:09:01 pm »
Cheers guys - awesome work my Mr & Mrs zigzag, and tremendous effort by Oranj - I think I would be happy forever if I could go sub 3h30 on a marathon.

fwiw, my (single) 10k training run was just under 40min, with a london marathon of 3:27 two weeks later (it did hurt and that's not the right approach to take).

so, you've already done more training and i reckon you're good for sub 3:30 marathon!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #965 on: 22 December, 2012, 04:10:16 pm »
A comical but satisfying ParkRun today. At the 2nd attempt I got up early enough to ride (in the bloody dark) to the Oxford event - unlike Abingdon, it has actually happened since the Thames took over South Oxfordshire. It's 3 months since my last one (too much cycling!), and I've had a few weeks of niggles and bugger-all miles, so it was nice to get round injury-free and at a  decent effort level.

VERY muddy - with my lack of balance I was surprised to stay upright. (It's probably lovely in June). No idea what effect this has on times - I've never run 'fast' in proper mud - but I managed about 24:30 (PB still 22:54). And it has a few proper slopes (not hills, i stress!). And I stopped to re-tie both shoelaces  :facepalm: And ... and ...

Anyway, I really enjoyed my morning, despite 2 hours of riding in the rain. I am the king of -ve splits! (about 5min 5 5 5 4:30). Given the laces incident, my pacing is a long way from consistent, and I'm probably still sandbagging somewhat ... :-[ My average pulse is still about 10 below what I do on equivalent bike events. But it is nice to overtake people for the last 3km instead of the opposite (there were a few really struggling on the last lap)! And it beats picking up injuries...

My (semi-)regular "long" run is now with the local club, 5 miles in their 9mm group.   If i can keep that up most weeks, with a steady increase in pace, I'll be happy; but I hope to build upto longer runs too. there's nothing special about running with the club, but it motivates me to actually MTFU and get out there. ( it might also lead to training partners, lift-shares for events, perhaps bigger things?)

(Group running is very different to group cycling, but I'm getting the hang of it slowly!)

Must build mileage slowly, Must build mileage slowly, Must build mileage slowly, Must build mileage slowly ... (and speed!)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #966 on: 24 December, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
I stopped to re-tie both shoelaces  :facepalm:

I think you've found the only thing in running that allows faffing. ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #967 on: 24 December, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »
<ignores TG>

I'm not a great descender. So I might try some training drills, perhaps

this
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #968 on: 01 January, 2013, 04:19:59 pm »
New job, and new head of dept. is a bit keen on running. As in, he's in his mid 50s and his 5k times start with a 17. At his encouragement, I've signed up for Rombald's Stride - 23 mile fell run thing in late February. My only hope is that I've only posted it off recently, and the website is now saying event full.

« Reply #969 on: 04 January, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »
Damn - I got a place.

« Reply #970 on: 04 January, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »
Thanks LadyC. Will tap you up for tips nearer the time. I'll try to get some runs in ASAP. Not been over 18 miles yet.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #971 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:25:57 pm »
First real race - Woodcote 10k - done. Once I got moving I really enjoyed it. Avoided 90% of the disasters/egg-on-face that I feared.

I won't bore you all with the full RR! (151/258 blokes) Oh and I passed a bloke doing his laces up at 3k  :smug:

Can't afford to do lots at £15, it does show how marvellous a thing parkRun is. But I'm pretty sure I'll do another. Hoping to ride a 1200 this year, so the bike will still get most of my time, I expect.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #972 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
Damn - I got a place.

Ha! Good luck.

First real race - Woodcote 10k - done.

Well done!

I've been struggling a bit on the parkruns lately, partly because I've been ill, partly because of poor running conditions and partly, I think, because I've put a bit of weight back on over the Christmas period - just a couple of kilos but I'm convinced it makes a difference. I've not been under 21 minutes since the start of December. Aiming to start doing something about the last of those by going for a gentle 10k this lunchtime.

One of the parkrun regulars is organising a 7.5mile charity run next weekend. Might give it a go. Only thing is, since it's an A to B route, I might have to run to the start and then home again afterwards, which would round it up to a bit more than a half marathon. Hmmm...

d.

citoyen

« Reply #973 on: 18 January, 2013, 03:46:38 pm »
Three 10km lunchtime runs this week. Today's was fab. Not fast but really enjoyable. Went as far as Green Park, which was gorgeous in the snow.

I'm doing around 50 minutes for 10km at the moment, which is a manageable pace. Reckon I could comfortably go a bit quicker.

d.

« Reply #974 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:10:20 pm »
Jealous!