Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400037 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #475 on: 27 May, 2010, 07:48:58 am »

2 barefoot runs - 4x2mins around the football club's training pitch - in the middle of 'normal' runs. Felt bloody fantastic, no ill effects so far.
Did a cautious recce of the loop with shoes on first, then went for it. At this stage the slightest bit of hard earth sends alarm signals through my feet, if I tread on a stone I shall probably faint.  If it wasn't for budget issues I'd buy some VFFs right now.

Now upto 30mins (plus a little cautionary walking). Using the old shoes to avoid blisters. Dorsal pain went away following:
- rest
- use of inserts to raise my heel while walking
- new orthotics, as recommended by podio, in running shoes.

I guess I need new shoes that fit differently to cure the blister issue. Why are the VFFs so expensive?!? Might buy some cheap/light racing flats instead ...

I bought a pair of VFF Sprints of ebay for £60.  1st attempt I didn't really like them, my toes have been together for many years and didn't like being separated, also I was actively trying to run on my midfoot rather than just running and seeing what happened.

Went out in them yesterday though and ran a very comfy mile on grass, I just ran as normal and my style adjusted itself.  I've no ambition to do any distance in them but think a short session every week could be fun.

If you buy them on-line be very aware of the unusual sizing methods, you have to measure your feet and look at a chart and the size is likely to be much smaller than your normal shoe size.

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #476 on: 27 May, 2010, 11:43:56 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #477 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »
Sure you can - and as soon as I find a sheet of rubber in a skip, I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #478 on: 27 May, 2010, 01:18:04 pm »
Can't I go full african and run in some cheap sandals? This site suggests I can:

Barefoot Ted's Adventures: Huarache Running Sandals: Kits & Custom

Anyone found anything similar?

Meanwhile:
These are NOT Vibram Five Fingers!  Spotting Fakes, Counterfeits, Knock-Offs, and other Pirated, Black Market Five-Toed Shoes

Oh dear - I see mine in the picture  :-[   AND I could have got the same fakes £15 cheaper  :(

Very convincing what with the proper box and leaflet and even the tag.   They do seem very well made fakes though and as I say quite comfy after a bit.  I guess I'll just try not to be too far from home when they fall apart or I'll be doing some proper barefoot running  ::-)

« Reply #479 on: 27 May, 2010, 01:20:22 pm »
Sure you can - and as soon as I find a sheet of rubber in a skip, I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

I think it said old car tires were the proper stuff in 'Born to Run' :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #480 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »
Sorry Nik! Best  not to worry, just use the things, nothing to lose.

(And note that some copies come from the same factory  :thumbsup:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #481 on: 27 May, 2010, 05:26:31 pm »
Sorry Nik! Best  not to worry, just use the things, nothing to lose.

(And note that some copies come from the same factory  :thumbsup:)

But won't ordinary people in the street stop and stare and say; "Look that man's wearing FAKE vffs!"  :o

« Reply #482 on: 27 May, 2010, 07:52:57 pm »

I think it said old car tires were the proper stuff in 'Born to Run' :thumbsup:

I reckon that the inner tube from a mountain bike would just be wide enough.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #483 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »
Way too flimsy, surely?  Practically fake-vff sole! ;)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #484 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:55:25 pm »
Way too flimsy, surely?  Practically fake-vff sole! ;)

You could glue a couple together. Rub the sides to be glued with some emery cloth to remove the silicon, then glue togther with superglue.
Or put some repair pathches where your toes, ball of the foot and heel go.

They'd be tailor made too, cos you'd draw around your feet before you cut the rubber.

Worth a punt with a knackered mountain bike tube I reckon.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #485 on: 28 May, 2010, 11:07:25 am »
Yup, old MTB tubes have I. (still with some material not harvested for other rational use)

How to attach to feet? Superglue?

or ....

toe strap!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #486 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:06:30 pm »
A bit thick.  String is a wonderful thing.  I'm going to use paracord.

Another pattern: Minimalist Running Sandals (Huaraches)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #487 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:16:18 pm »
What prevents string/paracord/barkstrips from abrading one's skin?

Are the designs trial and error?

Or do you just need soft/smooth/furry types of string?

(think I'll try a short run in my sandals later ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #488 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:36:27 pm »
Buggered if I know.  Magic Tribal Knots or skin like leather.  Let us know how they work out.  :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #489 on: 26 June, 2010, 04:19:38 pm »
I tried some Nike Free 3.0 on Friday. Felt really nice to run in, and only £65*. The shop balked at stocking the Vibrams, cos they couldn't see customers paying the extra.

I would be very tempted, but there are none IN THE UK in my size (except possibly some ladies model, which oddly are £15 cheaper).

The 5.0 were good, but have a lot more heel on them, which seems to miss the point somewhat :-/

So if anyone sees any (around size 9) actually in stock**, let me know.

Oh, quick plug for Fit 2 Run, north Abingdon - really helpful bunch, and cyclist-friendly :thumbsup:

*Which is still a lot of momey for so little shoe!
** No, I won't accept Google Search Results e.g. Wiggle do NOT have any.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #490 on: 03 July, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »
Spookily, this arrived the same morning as the MC1K routesheet:

Dorset Doddle Saturday, 3 July, 2010 12:09
To: mattc

Entry confirmation
+ 1 coach seat

*Double gulp*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #491 on: 05 July, 2010, 05:53:48 pm »
I ran my first 10k race in years yesterday - because it happened to be starting about 250m away from where I live. No preparation worth mentioning, I had a hangover and it was a really burningly hot day and a hilly course. I was seriously considering not bothering, and once I did decide to go for it, I thought I would just take it easy and jog round in an hour.

Actually I got home in 46.08 (pacing 4.37) and was one place off an age-group medal (20th overall).  ;D However, if I had realised, I might have gone for it a bit more.  >:( I am now going to get back to training properly, and do another 10K in a month or so, and a half marathon in the autumn. If it all goes well, next year I reckon I could easily get nearer 40 minutes, and certainly under 44.

« Reply #492 on: 10 July, 2010, 04:29:14 am »
No bike. So regular running action for me for the past two weeks, but also in June; something I enjoy when I travel as a means to do some tourism, relax after meetings or simply start the day or get some "me-time". Did quite a bit of grass and dirt track/trail running this week, have enjoyed it and, so far, my Achille's heel is behaving. More tomorrow morning, in Central Sao Paulo this time (Parque do Trianon!).

PS And still enjoying my Adidas Supernovas.  ;)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

simonp

« Reply #493 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »
Went out for a 3km run. Relaxed 12kph pace. Knees felt good.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #494 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:43:35 pm »
Here is a classic event that might still be open for entries this year:

Dorset Doddle

The fact that it is in Dorset, is referred to as a 'Doddle'  and follows the undulations of the coast should give you an idea what to expect.  :demon:

I have not done the event itself but used the route for training and for many years "the Dorset training day" would appear ominously in the calendar around Easter.

H

Still open for entries. Apparently.
You can read about our experiment in cycling as training for coastal walking:
Dorset Doddle 31mile Coast Walk, 22nd Aug
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #495 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:08:04 pm »
My prose can be found here.

simonp

« Reply #496 on: 26 August, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »
5km off road. And 50km cycling. Damp.

Jakob

« Reply #497 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:20:35 am »
I've always hated running. Hated!. Put me on a bike, and I'll happily pedal for hours, ask me to run and I'll blow up in 30 seconds, regardless of my fitness level. (Unless, I'm chasing a ball or a frisbee, of course..that's different).
(Un)fortunately, it's an integral part of Crossfit, so over the last 2 months, I've been running more than I probably have the last 20 years....and are slowly getting used to it. I still don't like it, but at least I don't hate it( as much).
Mostly we run in 400meter segments, either as warm-up or part of the multi-part work-out. Tonight, we ended up running 2k in total, which for me is quite a lot!
Anyways: I would like to improve my basic running technique, because I'm sure it's neither here or there. Any websites that are good for starting runners?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #498 on: 07 September, 2010, 04:33:59 pm »
Last week: daily moderate-paced 7km, split by 50km bike ride and strength-training.

This week: 13km (today, race speed, so just under 1 hour), up the regular daily run to 10km moderate paced (plus strength-training and bike rides).

Next week: 18km at race speed, keep regular run at 10km (plus strength-training and bike rides).

Week after next: reduce to 7 km regular again, with another c.13km extra one at race speed (plus strength-training and bike rides).

Three weeks' time, short runs just keep warm, loose and stretched, a nice bike ride in the middle of the week, then half-marathon on the weekend... yikes.

« Reply #499 on: 12 September, 2010, 10:13:29 am »
Haven't run in a few months, but got talking to some other Dads at a Dad's night down the pub (village life is so rock and/or roll), and 10km times came up. I kept schtum, because my best time is from about 7 years ago. However, I was inspired, so decided to do  10km this morning, I did it in just under 49 mins, which is a couple of minutes over my best time, but suggests to me that I am fitter now fromn cycling that I was when I was running regularly back then.

Got into a "it's not a race" race on the way back on my loop, which helped. He was younger and faster (and had nicer hair) than me, but I didn't let him catch me for the 3km before we parted company. I was glad he did go the other way, because I would have puked at the pace I was going to hold him off.