Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400276 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #525 on: 02 January, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »
Whoops, got talked into the Forest of Dean half-marathon.  12 weeks away!  (almost exactly one training plan, then :thumbsup: ) Better get started...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #526 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »
Local

I might drag Tewdric along to laugh & point at you :)

« Reply #527 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »
I did my first fell race last Sat near Llandovery, 5 miles/1250' category AS

I came 2nd. 2nd last that is. I think another chap didn't finish so technically I was almost out of the bottom three. Conclusion: fell running is not something generally done by "fun runners". Rather, I was competing against whippet-build athletes including someone who "used to run for Wales" and just about everyone else was wearing a club vest.

I was fairly pleased with my time actually (58:29 for a hilly 5 miles, 4/5 of which was off road).

Managed to do a 56:26 flattish Tarmac 10k last night. Target for the next few weeks is to get to sub 50 mins. I used the runkeeper iPhone app last night for the first time - not bad apart from the hassle of running with my iPhone in my hand.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #528 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:31:57 pm »
Dragged my distance up to just over 8k on the treadmill tonight. Just under 48 mins of 2 minute intervals (as above) at 10.1 km/h
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #529 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:17:57 pm »
I've been running 10k twice a week in the ice and snow. Good for endurance rather than speed! As the conditions ease here, I'm going to up my weekend run to 15 to 20 to 25 (and more, occasionally) for endurance, and use my midweek 10 for speed work.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #530 on: 18 February, 2011, 11:53:46 pm »
Up to 10k tonight on the treadmill. 10.1 kph with the 2 minute intervals. Wow that takes something out of me. Bit weary now but I'll try to build the speed up now I can do the distance.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #531 on: 19 February, 2011, 09:52:12 pm »
A steady 15k in hideous, icy, windy conditions today. Summer will be a breeze in comparison!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #532 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »
20.5km yesterday - my first go at my 'not quite a half marathon' loop. I think I have a persistent problem in my hip. Exactly the same pain as when I did a proper competitive half last year. It seems to kick in after about 15km. I have no pain doing 10s or any other sport. Hmm. I have a feeling I am never going to be able to run very long distances.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #533 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »
FM:
If you can run OK for 15km, this might well be a muscle-fatigue/posture thing. So fixable by a physio. I stress might, as you don't give any details, but I thought I'd try to be positive!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #534 on: 21 March, 2011, 06:17:44 pm »
FM:
If you can run OK for 15km, this might well be a muscle-fatigue/posture thing. So fixable by a physio. I stress might, as you don't give any details, but I thought I'd try to be positive!

I hope so - I am going to arrange an appointment when I get back from being away this week. It feels like something in the joint, but you can't always trust your feelings!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #535 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:33:59 pm »
First race of the season this Sunday - a chilly 10k. I'm runing to check my condition and development rather than to compete. I'll tell you how it goes.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #536 on: 27 March, 2011, 08:59:14 pm »
Err, that was unexpected... I was the first bloke home, and was second overall - beaten by a very nice woman, with whom I ran for the first 2km. We were totally on our own, but I dropped back just a little because my knee was giving me warning signs, which didn't end up turning into anything worse, but which did mean I was more or less 150m behind her the rest of the way. My time was just over 42 minutes, which wouldn't trouble the front end of any 10k race in a bigger city or later in the season, but that's about 3 minutes faster than I was aiming for.

Happy!

« Reply #537 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:03:33 am »
Well run FM  :thumbsup:

(I believe it's pretty rare for a woman to win a mixed sex running race so I bet she was chuffed.)
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #538 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »
Well run FM  :thumbsup:

(I believe it's pretty rare for a woman to win a mixed sex running race so I bet she was chuffed.)

She certainly was, especially as she said she only 'used to be' a serious runner. She was a lovely woman, and I was really pleased for her too.

I have to say it was probably pretty embarassing for all those tall, lean young men in the race to be beaten by a woman and a little bloke, who is really a cyclist, in his late thirties!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #539 on: 31 March, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »
Well, I'm paying for it all now... I seem to have a stress fracture in the navicular bone of my left foot.

JJ

« Reply #540 on: 01 April, 2011, 01:26:30 am »
PB on the run home tonight.  46 min dead.  Yay for running in daylight!
That's still 9 min. miles mind!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #541 on: 01 April, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »
Just seen the official times for the 10k on Sunday - 40.49 for me. Pretty happy with that at this stage in the season, even with the fracture!

« Reply #542 on: 03 April, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »
Just seen the official times for the 10k on Sunday - 40.49 for me. Pretty happy with that at this stage in the season, even with the fracture!

Ow  :facepalm: - think I'd rather have JJs 9 minute mileing and no injury myself - hope it heals quick and you can can resist the urge to run on it before it's fixed.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #543 on: 05 April, 2011, 11:03:33 am »

Ow  :facepalm: - think I'd rather have JJs 9 minute mileing and no injury myself - hope it heals quick and you can can resist the urge to run on it before it's fixed.

Don't worry, I am res(is)ting it. And it's more to do with overtraining than the specific run on Sunday.

« Reply #544 on: 25 April, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »
The inaugural Abingdon Parkrun 5k is going to be held at 9am Saturday 7th May so I'm planning to give it a go (provided I'm not totally crippled by next weekends Brevet Cymru).

From what I can gather Parkruns are free, timed, 5 kilometre running events that seem to be such a great idea they are springing up all over the place. They are 'all comers' events but it's polite to let the organisers know if you expect to take more than 50 minutes.

Already loads in London and more local to me in Reading, Swindon and Milton Keynes (not that I've done any of these). It's sort of a local volunteers supported by strong national umbrella organisation set-up (bit like audax). You have to register (for free) on the Parkrun website and get your barcode which works for any location.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #545 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
That sounds great Nik  :thumbsup:

You didn't mention that they have corporate sponsorship - you can't have free entry without someone paying somewhere along the line!

It's good to see companies supporting REALLY grass roots level sport. Anyone can limp round 5k, and its a long way from the glamorous events sponsors usually love (especially with no mention of charidee).

I'll check the calendar, and maybe drag N along.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #546 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »
Only a week or so until I can run again. I am just itching to get out there, but I have to be disciplined and give my foot the time it needs. 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #547 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:24:07 pm »
The inaugural Abingdon Parkrun 5k is going to be held at 9am Saturday 7th May so I'm planning to give it a go
Nik:
Can you please clarify - do we need to printout and take our "personal barcode" with us?

EDIT: doh! Yes we do - all explained in the (huge) FAQ.

Started registering; bit puzzled by how they will use my "memorable phrase". Will it be like a nickname? Will I be stuck with it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #548 on: 05 May, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »
The inaugural Abingdon Parkrun 5k is going to be held at 9am Saturday 7th May so I'm planning to give it a go
Started registering; bit puzzled by how they will use my "memorable phrase". Will it be like a nickname? Will I be stuck with it?

"memorable phrase"  ???  don't remember anything about one of them

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #549 on: 06 May, 2011, 08:30:47 am »
Help with registration
Registration Page

Memorable Phrase

Please enter a word or phrase that we can use to uniquely identify you at our events in addition to your name. Remember this is not a password; it is visible to the volunteers who record your finish position at the events and is used to make sure we credit runs to the right runners. It should be a minimum of 5 letters. Please do not use your name or you local parkrun as a memorable phrase; we will already know this from the other questions.

I expect all will become clear on Saturday!

(I think I might go for RaminphrikeshDidIWin )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------