Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 39350 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #125 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:08:04 pm »
I can forgive Holmes for not being a cryptography geek. He knows so much stuff that I think we can forgive him a few holes in his knowledge. I don't think the writers wanted him to be fighting crime with cutting-edge technology - it would start blending into Spooks territory.

Think how crap a Sherlock vs The Hackers episode would be.  :hand: Give me footprint and sweet wrapper analysis any day!

<crosses fingers, touches wood ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #126 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »
P vs NP isn't cryptography geekery, it's general knowledge!

Anyway, it were Mollyarty wot dunnit.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #127 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
... and I don't want ANY of the scripts to feature the following text:

P vs NP

No offence meant, oh Generally Knowledgable One :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #128 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »
P vs NP isn't cryptography geekery, it's general knowledge!

Anyway, it were Mollyarty wot dunnit.

Perhaps the next episode should feature the escapades of a Travelling Salesman wot dun some badness.   And we need to figure out his various optimal routes.    Let's see how he gets on with that...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #129 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
O dear :(

That was hugely disappointing! It just ... never got going, never flowed, never interested me. Not even the 'tache jokes were upto scratch. [Still not as bad as Dr Who!]

OK, I'll give the writers an excuse - they were too distracted by bringing him back to life to put a proper story together. Normal service resumed ASAP  >:(

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #130 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:24:23 pm »
Not even the 'tache jokes were upto scratch.

Certainly none as good as that one.

[Still not as bad as Dr Who!]

I've been mulling over that myself and I'm not sure. There's not much in it either way.

OK, I'll give the writers an excuse - they were too distracted by bringing him back to life to put a proper story together. Normal service resumed ASAP  >:(

In a three-episode series, most of the first episode was taken up with recapping the end of the last series, largely at the epense of giving time to the potentially interesting terrorist plot... Yawn.

This seems to be the Moffat way now - all character development, very little actual story.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #131 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
This seems to be the Moffat way now - all character development, very little actual story.
Very true.

(but I think Gatiss wrote this one? Perhaps Moffat sticks his oar in rather too much ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #132 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »
So, thanks to the BBC and their impeccable knack for failing to provide subtitles at the most irritating moments, only the Deaf viewers got a satisfying explanation for how Sherlock faked his death (before switching off in disgust).

« Reply #133 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »
Really not liking it, seems to be turning into a comedy.

They did get in one real Holmes story, the one where the dad turns out to the be the person romancing the daughter to keep her at home, although updated to be online romance, rather than dressing up and make up.

It's all too big, Sherlock isn't James Bond, he doesn't need to deal with terrorist attacks, Holmes used to deal with turkeys with sapphires shoved in them, and missing persons etc.

I do enjoy Elementary, the US version, rather more these days, and another show called Psych.

citoyen

« Reply #134 on: 02 January, 2014, 02:40:48 pm »
(but I think Gatiss wrote this one? Perhaps Moffat sticks his oar in rather too much ... )

I don't know. I noted the writing credit for Gatiss splashed up on screen at the start but I wouldn't have recognised it as being one of his otherwise. I also noted the "co-creator" credit for Moffat.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #135 on: 02 January, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »
I got bored with it very quickly but Dez kept watching it. The worst thing about it was that the music was horribly intrusive.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #136 on: 02 January, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »
I got bored with it very quickly but Dez kept watching it. The worst thing about it was that the music was horribly intrusive.
In which case you definitely won't like Dr Who!

We really ought to get together and do something about this. Licence-payers against overly intrusive music! Hmm, might need a snappier slogan ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #137 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
I thought it was mostly reasonable. Definitely better than the most recent Dr Who. Was it me who was confused by them talking about the district line  and then going on about the bit between westminster and St James Park (which is the Jubilee line, which does have interesting alternative tunnels but not as interesting as the bakerloo line there.)

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #138 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:14:01 pm »
We really ought to get together and do something about this. Licence-payers against overly intrusive music!

It's one of the most common causes of complaints, or at least it used to be.

Why downmixing from separate dialogue and music/effects streams in the decoder wasn't part of the DVB spec, I don't know.  Hell of a missed opportunity.  At least with a 5.1 system you can boost the centre channel.  A few dB makes all the difference.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #139 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
I thought it was mostly reasonable. Definitely better than the most recent Dr Who. Was it me who was confused by them talking about the district line  and then going on about the bit between westminster and St James Park (which is the Jubilee line, which does have interesting alternative tunnels but not as interesting as the bakerloo line there.)

No it wasn't you that was confused by the tube switches: -
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-london-underground-lines-in-sherlock-are-all-wrong
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #140 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:52:11 pm »
I know what happened when he fell off the roof:
(Youtube link)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSY4fEEg4j0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pSY4fEEg4j0&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #141 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

No it wasn't you that was confused by the tube switches: -
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-london-underground-lines-in-sherlock-are-all-wrong

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #142 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »
In which case you definitely won't like Dr Who!

We really ought to get together and do something about this. Licence-payers against overly intrusive music! Hmm, might need a snappier slogan ...

I haven't watched Dr. Who since Tom Baker was the man.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Si

« Reply #143 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »
I thought that it was OK, but within about 15mins I too was thinking - this is a Dr Who regeneration episode....story takes second place to explaining the oh so clever characters.

But still better than most of the stuff that has been on recently, even if the bit with the bomb at the end was a little painful to watch.....like Sherlock does The Office.

citoyen

« Reply #144 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:40:46 pm »

the bit between westminster and St James Park (which is the Jubilee line,

No, Westminster-St James's Park is District Line.

But..

Yes, they were using Jubilee line trains to represent the District line.

Reminds me of last year's Doctor Who episode when he was whizzing round on a motorbike...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #145 on: 06 January, 2014, 10:58:19 am »
Ep2: A billion times better. So good, I no longer resent sitting thru Ep1  :thumbsup:

[If you'd told me the whole thing was going to be based around the wedding I might not even have bothered ... but they really pulled it off.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Si

« Reply #146 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:06:09 am »
It was very entertaining, but did I miss-understand the murder? 
(click to show/hide)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #147 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
Bodger; I chose to ignore the murder mechanics - just as I ignored last week's tube-line nonsense - as there was so much more fun stuff happening. The Game Was On!

[It must be pretty hard to invent a new 'locked-room' type murder technique. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #148 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:10:34 am »
We thought it was slow and contrived and could have benefited from 30 mins less. (The episode, not the murder ;) )
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #149 on: 06 January, 2014, 11:16:45 am »
Didn't enjoy it much. Style over plot.

It's getting as bad as Murder She Wrote.  Sherlock's problems with social skills are just turning him into a less sympathetic version of Monk.

I really do watch too many comedy crime dramas.