Author Topic: Cambridge busway cycle lane flooded  (Read 708 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Cambridge busway cycle lane flooded
« on: 24 March, 2024, 10:47:02 am »
I rode through it last night (bad idea!) although it's only about 500m the rest is dry.

Is there an advertised alternative route between Swavesey and St Ives? the best I could find was via Fen Drayton and Fenstanton which my event in 4 weeks will need to use unless it dries out.

Re: Cambridge busway cycle lane flooded
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2024, 11:55:34 am »
It floods fairly frequently, but it also dries out quite quickly, it being flooded now is no indication of how it'll be in four weeks. 
The detour if needed is as you say, though if going through Fenstanton, you could skip going back through St Ives by going through the Hemingfords and the common.  What I wouldn't recommend is the shorter route from Fenstanton that includes a short section of the A1096, it's not a pleasant road to cycle on. 

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2024, 02:42:58 pm »
Thanks; the last info is at Hemingford Abbots anyway. Is the A1096 the old A14? yes that's not nice.

edit no that's the A1307. Yes my plan is to use the road that crosses the A1096 on a roundabout

« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2024, 03:05:16 pm »
Yes my plan is to use the road that crosses the A1096 on a roundabout

SO the roundabout is fine.  It's this route further south that's unpleasant
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/547316

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:20:23 am »
It floods fairly frequently, but it also dries out quite quickly,

Ha ha ha.  You were joking, right?

I live right next to this one.  The problem is not that it floods; the problem is that it takes ages to drain low enough to be usable again.

The winter before last I was taking an alternate route on the bike for 2-3 months due to flooding.  Last winter it was fine through the whole winter as far as I remember.  This winter looks like I will be taking the road route for 3-4 months.

From Swavesey, you can take the Fen Drayton / Fenstanton diversion.  Low road (from Fenstanton to St Ives) floods also, but that dries out quickly.

If you're going all the way from Cambridge to St Ives, consider the new cycleway alongside the new A14 & old A14 (now A1307) then Low road into St Ives.  It's all fairly good apart from the shitty connection at Girton, which has two options to choose from but both are rubbish.  It isn't as nice as the busway, but that's mostly a reflection of how good the busway is.

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2024, 02:29:10 pm »
Looks like a cyclist's paradise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5dCkY87KQ

I think I'll do the diversion...