Author Topic: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series  (Read 40207 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #175 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
Costal with a train station was Quality  ;D

Any unvisited pubs in Harwich? Also, I have never been to Burnham on the bike?

I think I did the Harwich GBG pubs last year, that's not to say they can't be don again. I think there are some Burnham pubs GBG pubs, I'll check.

I like this as a concept.

Harwich, Clacton, Walton, Frinton, Wivenhoe, Fambridge, Burnham, Southend, Shoeburyness, Benfleet, Leigh on Sea, Manningtree, Wrabness, Mistley (Shotleigh is an interesting place and isn't too far from Manningtree or Ipswich), Ipswich, Felixstowe and, just for Oaky, Lowestoft.

There are some ferry possibilities in there as well.

So, I have just had a thumb through my now well thumbed copy of the 2013 Good Beer Guide.  Here are the unvisited GBG pub opportunities which fit the above criteria (at the seaside, could involve a ferry and / or train) ...

- Brightlingsea, combined with ...
- Wivenhoe
- Burnham-on-Crouch
- Grays  :o , combined with ...
- Little Thurrock, combined with ...
- Stanford-le-Hope
- Kirby-le-Soken (could be a day long trip revisiting Clacton and also The Haywain GBG pub at Little Bromley, passed on Saturday) and ...
- Walton-on-the Naze
- Leigh-on-Sea, combined with ...
- Southend-on-Sea, combined with ...
- Westcliff-on-Sea
- Rowhedge

Gosh!  I hadn't realised the possibilities until I'd typed it all up.  And you lot still want to go audaxing?  There's your summer riding programme right there ^^^  ;D  Whole weekends could be lost  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #176 on: 23 February, 2016, 07:24:27 pm »
So, I have just had a thumb through my now well thumbed copy of the 2013 Good Beer Guide.  Here are the unvisited GBG pub opportunities which fit the above criteria (at the seaside, could involve a ferry and / or train) ...

- Brightlingsea, combined with ...
- Wivenhoe
- Burnham-on-Crouch
- Grays  :o , combined with ...
- Little Thurrock, combined with ...
- Stanford-le-Hope
- Kirby-le-Soken (could be a day long trip revisiting Clacton and also The Haywain GBG pub at Little Bromley, passed on Saturday) and ...
- Walton-on-the Naze
- Leigh-on-Sea, combined with ...
- Southend-on-Sea, combined with ...
- Westcliff-on-Sea
- Rowhedge

Gosh!  I hadn't realised the possibilities until I'd typed it all up.  And you lot still want to go audaxing?  There's your summer riding programme right there ^^^  ;D  Whole weekends could be lost  ;D

:thumbsup: Quite a few of those places feature on my 'Kingdom of the East Saxons' 400km route, or are quite near to it - I like the idea of a touring version of Audax ['a good ride spoiled'] - I last did an extended multi-day route-check [of 'Hereward' 300km] in about 2011.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #177 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »
One of my concepts in development is the "tourdax".

« Reply #178 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:27:22 pm »
Kingdom of the East Saxons tour on my Fixie later in the summer....long weekend. ...hmmmm

Oscar's dad

« Reply #179 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:28:54 pm »
Kingdom of the East Saxons tour on my Fixie later in the summer....long weekend. ...hmmmm

That sounds interesting. Want some company?

« Reply #180 on: 29 February, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »

That sounds interesting. Want some company?
No, Fuck off  ;D

Just kidding, company would be great

BTW, is the Bristol Arms in Shotley in the 2013 Good Beer Guide and if so is it still on the to do list? (I know it's in Suffolk) but when the summer comes a ride to Shotley, a pint and then the Ferry to Harwich might be fun?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #181 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »
 ;D

I don't know, I'm not home right now but will check later.  Is there a GPX of the route somewhere?  I could cross reference it against the 2013 GBG and see if a unvisited pub crawl could be contrived.  Hic.

« Reply #182 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:13:50 pm »
The Bristol Arms is a funny place.

The food and beer are actually pretty decent but it is just so huge. 

If you go there on a Sunday I should imagine it's full.  If you go there the rest of the time it is just very big.  I have been there when berthed at Shotley Marina and I used to go down to Shotley on the bike on a Saturday quite often last year. 

That part of Shotley is a cool place anyway.  On one side you have the liners and ferries at Harwich and on the other the mega container ships at Felixstowe.  There is also a little museum from HMS Ganges and the buildings are still there.

Also worthy of note on the Shotley peninsula are the Butt & Oyster at Pinmill and the café at Woolverstone Marina.  There is also a café/bar/restaurant at Shotley Marina if you like watching people trying to get in and out of a tidal lock.

There is Manningtree or Ipswich as a train option as well.  If it isn't too heretic, I am often up that way in the car on Saturdays on school collection duty as another option.  There are all sorts of parts of the Suffolk cycle routes around there and on the other side of the A12.

Is there a MEWBS ride on Saturday by the way ?  I am ready for my new OD inspired approach to cycling...

Perhaps young master Tokyo Sexpest could be persuaded to come out some time as well.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #183 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:14:15 pm »
Wilkyboy has put the 2 parts up on Ride with GPS

Part A
Part B

« Reply #184 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »
 ;D nice one Ted, the Shotley peninsula sounds cracking for later in the year.

Mrs Tippers and the biggest of the little tippers are heading to the X-Factor concert ( :sick:) on Saturday. I might be able to sneak out early but I have my doubts!

I am likely missing something very clear but I can't work out the identity of our new friend...the Sex Pest as you put it.

« Reply #185 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »
It took me a while to work out who he was.

He reveals his true identity elsewhere on this forum and it is no surprise.  If I knew how to do fancy clicky links then I might do one now but I am sure you can track it down.

Anyone else for MEWBS on Saturday ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #186 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:26:48 pm »
It took me a while to work out who he was.

Like you say ted, no surprise CLICKY.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #187 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »
Oh, I'm not around this weekend, decorating the lounge.  Yes I know.  I want to get these chores out of the way prior to the warm weather hopefully returning.

« Reply #188 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:40:07 pm »
If we go to the Anchor on Wednesday night, you can probably find someone to do the decorating for you cheap!

it might later lead to a loss of several of your possessions but the initial result would seem good ;-)

« Reply #189 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
Not done one of these for a while. Anybody up for some MEWBS action this Saturday (16th)?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #190 on: 15 April, 2016, 09:21:13 am »
I could probably be tempted depending on when and where.

I should be sorting out my boat but I need some miles this week.

Forecast is not too bad.

« Reply #191 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
I was going to ride out with Tiptree Velo but I could be tempted as well. I am aiming to be home by 2pm latest (earlier is better) but I would like to get around 100km in.

Tall Green House café, Burnham-on-Crouch?

edit: Ted, to add miles I could swing over to Mersea to meet up before heading towards Burnham?

« Reply #192 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:48:10 am »
Sounds good to me. I could get a photo to go with this one:

:)

« Reply #193 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:49:10 am »
ETD ?

« Reply #194 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:57:25 am »
I'm Easy. Looking at the map how about we meet at the Peldon Rose? I am thinking of leaving home around 7ish so probably around 07:30 - 07:45?

I'll put a route together that should get us to Burnham around 10:30 or 11?

« Reply #195 on: 15 April, 2016, 12:25:13 pm »
looks like a plan

I need to persuade number 2 son to sort out the boat tomorrow morning but, subject to that and catching up a bit of sleep after last night, I should be there.

I will be on fixed until such time as there is a resolution on my other bike.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #196 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
I'm torn between 90 mins on the turbo or Burnham, though I have no love for the corridor through Latchingdon so it will probably be turbo tomorrow... :(

Its such a shame there aren't more lanes in the South of Essex like there is elsewhere.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #197 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:04:25 pm »
Are we go on this? Need to know whether to set my alarm or not  :P

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #198 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:20:38 pm »
I know this is a little late in the day to post about tomorrow morning but if you do see this before you depart then it would be interesting to see how much of my proposed Essex R&R route to Burnham you can follow: https://goo.gl/maps/pyA1P9mf5KB2
Also how cycle friendly the Tall Green House Cafe is to be promoted as a control in Burnham.

Appreciate any feedback :)

BTW, my 200 & 100k routes are now live on AUK and both have received their first entry!

p.s. I'm not able to join you so don't expect to see me
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #199 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:47:20 pm »
I did some of that route last year, great hot sunny day with a very strong SW wind which made some of the Jungle parts hard going, but the noise from the wind turbines and the big sky was worth it.  Also added some COR to get to that old church on the edge.  If only the private roads were accessible it would make for a good loop round the jungle...

I think I struggled to find a cafe stop in Burnham at the time, the one I did stop at was OK, but not great, there is another one on the high street which is very popular with motorbikers which I had forgotten on about at the time.  Queens Head is popular with the Chelmsford CTC from what I remember.

Latchingdon is only second to Cold Norton for aggressive vehicular hassle and the 'TT' route out of Lachingdon towards 'glow in the dark' Bradwell was not that pleasant with traffic.  As I mentioned, the lack of lanes means it is similar to some of the riding in Yorkshire where every B road is more busy that you might expect...  That was a weekday (Monday) so might be different on a Saturday (certainly earlier in the day).

https://www.strava.com/activities/340354031

Hope you have a good ride out chaps which ever route you decide to get there...
Regards,

Joergen