Author Topic: The Computer Game Thread  (Read 19031 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Computer Game Thread
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:29:40 pm »
Dammit, you're making me want to play computer games.  I loved Frontier.  (I was a bit too young to get the hang of the original Elite.)

"Elite was pretty fronty, but Elite II is..." ~ Rednose Comix

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2019, 04:45:41 pm »
Yesterday I bought Tomb Raider

Sometimes stepping back to an older game (from Rise of the Tomb Raider) can expose less than ideal controls, sound or graphics.

I can not complain I only paid £3.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »
When lying in bed early the night before an early shift: Cossacks

When on a day off and bored: World of Tanks Blitz, or World of Warships.

I ignore the sexism and stupidity on WoT, but sometimes it is impossible, such as when two members of a 'platoon' allegedly on my team wedged my vehicle into a corner until the game was lost. I suspect it was done in response to my clearly female username. The other effect of THAT is an endless stream of friend requests (ignored).

Cossacks takes hours to play a game; WoT is a seven minute round.

I play WoT and WoWS on the PC. If you ever want to div up I am happy to. User name is the same as this one. :)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #28 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:20:29 pm »
Yesterday I completed the story of "Shadow of the Tomb Raider". Not 100% I did not do all optional sections.

I have enjoyed "Tomb Raider", "Rise Of The Tomb Raider" and "Shadow of The Tomb Raider". 

What next?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #29 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:36:22 pm »
I am currently dowloading Hitman. Its taking ages.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #30 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:58:26 pm »
Nvidia have launched a new series of Graphics cards.  They appear much more powerful and they have not pushed the price of these high end cards.  They are still a long way above my budget.  AMD are launching a new series this Autumn too.  It will be interesting to see how the "Big Navi" card compares to the new Nvidia items.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #31 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:02:07 pm »
Which, it is said, may be too powerful for your PSU.

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:10:25 pm »
I have a GTX 1080Ti. It is not up to the stuff I've been running lately. RTX 3090 is 3.2x more shader performance. I'll be getting one in a new PC build once things have settled down. The 3080 may be sufficient, and is a lot cheaper.

Edit: The 3080 is significantly more powerful than the rumours suggested, and the price is very attractive. I'd be really kicking myself if I'd bought a 2080x in the last 6 months.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #33 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:38:29 pm »
Which, it is said, may be too powerful for your PSU.

I have a 650W 80+ Platimum PSU shouuld be good enough for 3080 which I will not be buying.  The new AMD cards should be quite good with power. Unless they push the clocks in response to Nvidia, that really demands power.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #34 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:44:02 pm »
Nvidia says 750W but that is with a silly Intel CPU.  I only have a AMD 3700X

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #35 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:49:51 pm »
2070 in the big bugger upstairs but fortunately I bought it a couple of years ago rather than last week.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #36 on: 03 September, 2020, 11:04:28 pm »
I want to see independent reviews.  No computer companies marketing department can be trusted to tell the whole truth. 

And beyond that there are questions such as does PCIe 4.0 matter now the gpus can process more data. There have only been one or two games so far that run better on PCIe 4 than PCIe 3 with the slower AMD 5700XT  (until now the fastest PCIe 4 card). If so does Intel lose the gaming crown.  No current Intel system can do PCIe 4, although some Z490 motherboards may support it with a future cpu.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #37 on: 04 September, 2020, 02:25:45 am »
I have an AMD 5700XT in my gaming computer, and an Nvidia 1080Ti in my other one (which really just runs Zwift these days). The 5700XT is great for QHD screens, but several games (including Prepar3D v5) don't talk happily with it, so I will replace it with a 3090 in a month or so. Shame, the 5700XT had lots of potential, but unrealised.

Nick H.

« Reply #38 on: 04 September, 2020, 05:12:30 am »
I play No Man's Sky on PC. Been playing it since it was new 4 years ago. So it's just a bit samey. But I don't have the willpower to try something else. Can't think of anything I might like.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #39 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:20:25 pm »
I was wrong, PCIe 4.0 only improves the rate by 1 or 2 frames per sec, 

Nvidia 3080 is  a little less quick than they claimed but is still a big jump forward.

As usual they all sold out quickly. I do not understand why people are so impatient.  More will appear in a few months time.  Maybe a better one will appear when AMD launch a competitive card (Announcement  late October).  When AMD launched 5700 and 5700XT which were a tiny bit better than Nvidia 2060 and 2070 respectively Nvidia released 2060 Super and 2070 Super to retain marginal superiority over the AMD cards,  The 5700XT sits between 2070 and 2070 Super. The 5700 marginally beats the 2060 Super. AMD could not release a competitor for the 2080. AMD could release a card to beat the 3080 but they may not want to.

TimC

« Reply #40 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:25:43 am »
3700?  ITYM 5700!

See my post above. I have the 5700XT in a computer with the Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU. As a combination it’s quick, but it has odd compatibility problems with some games (P3D being the worst in my library). My older box has a 1080Ti with an i5 6xxxk. It really isn’t that much slower - and the 1080Ti is probably a match for the 5700XT in most applications. The AMD card was cheaper, though, and is still good value.

I’ve just learned that a 20Gb 3080 is waiting in the wings. I suspect that’ll be much better value than the 3090, so I’m debating my options now...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #41 on: 20 September, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »
I get confused by part numbers 3700/5700. I corrected the post two back.   

I have a 5700 card slightly overclocked by MSI.  the 5700 had the best frames / second / cost.  That was until the new Nvidia 3080, the big improvement and reduced cost has placed that card there for a while.

-----

I was amazed by the idiots who demand to have the new hardware immediately.  I learned a long time ago. Once desirable stuff was often built in the far east I learned that a small amount is shipped by air for the launch. The real launch for the rest of is when a large container ship turns up at Rotterdam or other European port. A lorry carrying a container load drops off a million widgets Amazon or a distributor and we can all get. Sometimes at a better price when the initial demand has subsided. 

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 20 September, 2020, 06:23:13 pm »
I play No Man's Sky on PC. Been playing it since it was new 4 years ago. So it's just a bit samey. But I don't have the willpower to try something else. Can't think of anything I might like.

I tried very hard to like NMS (PS4) and played quite a lot during lockdown.

If you like exploring, and base-building/automation/factory type games - then how about Space Engineers (been around even longer than NMS I think) or Satisfactory (early access, but horribly addictive game-loops)?

NMS is due a big update this week...

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 20 September, 2020, 06:58:06 pm »
I could hit buy on the PC build I want but I want to see what the benchmarks are for the 3090 (leaks suggest not worth it) and there's no stock anyway, so might as well wait and see whether there are additional options, such as a possible 3080Ti perhaps with more memory.

« Reply #44 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:06:03 pm »
I am still waiting to see AMDs offering in October.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

« Reply #45 on: 21 September, 2020, 12:27:51 am »

If you like exploring, and base-building/automation/factory type games - then how about Space Engineers (been around even longer than NMS I think) or Satisfactory (early access, but horribly addictive game-loops)?

I'm an Elite Dangerous Kickstarter! I do have NMS on the Playstation 4, and the updates have turned it into an interesting an absorbing game. But the sheer scale of ED put it head-and-shoulders above any other space game for freedom of movement and the ability to just do what you want to do. Add to that the amazing integration of VR, and the game is stunning to observe. The pause in in-game narrative over the last six months has tested the playerbase, but that's beginning to be addressed. Almost time for me to dive back in. I may not emerge for a year or two.

Chris S

« Reply #46 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:07:10 pm »

I'm an Elite Dangerous Kickstarter! I do have NMS on the Playstation 4, and the updates have turned it into an interesting an absorbing game. But the sheer scale of ED put it head-and-shoulders above any other space game for freedom of movement and the ability to just do what you want to do. Add to that the amazing integration of VR, and the game is stunning to observe. The pause in in-game narrative over the last six months has tested the playerbase, but that's beginning to be addressed. Almost time for me to dive back in. I may not emerge for a year or two.

The wheels have fallen off Frontier a little in the last year/eighteen months. They have all the hallmarks of a company that's overstretched itself, and ended up losing control.

I've never really liked the whole secret squirrel silent thing that Frontier do regarding futures and roadmaps. Having a closed release schedule is fine until you fuck it up and have to tell your userbase "No new updates for eighteen months". Fuck that. That was the moment I stopped playing E:D.

I was wowed by shops like Digital Extremes (Warframe) who seemed to have an open dialogue running the whole time with their userbase - and would issue software updates along the lines of "Let's see how this goes - let us know if it's pants". This is fine if it's FTP software like Warframe.

New kid on the block in this genre is Dual Universe. I want to like it because it's the closest thing I've seen to a cross-over between E:D and Space Engineers. But it's a "subscription beta". So I have to pay you for the privilege of doing your testing for you? Fuck that. Also - single server MMO? Not sure that's going to scale.

ISTM the market for that one beats all Eve/E:D/Space Engineers/Star Citizen/Dual Universe/NMS MMO is mahoosive - and nobody has quite nailed it yet.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #47 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:26:06 am »
The 3080 is failing sometimes. Possibly due to inadequate power supplies.

TimC

« Reply #48 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:00:44 am »

The wheels have fallen off Frontier a little in the last year/eighteen months. They have all the hallmarks of a company that's overstretched itself, and ended up losing control.

I've never really liked the whole secret squirrel silent thing that Frontier do regarding futures and roadmaps. Having a closed release schedule is fine until you fuck it up and have to tell your userbase "No new updates for eighteen months". Fuck that. That was the moment I stopped playing E:D.

I was wowed by shops like Digital Extremes (Warframe) who seemed to have an open dialogue running the whole time with their userbase - and would issue software updates along the lines of "Let's see how this goes - let us know if it's pants". This is fine if it's FTP software like Warframe.

New kid on the block in this genre is Dual Universe. I want to like it because it's the closest thing I've seen to a cross-over between E:D and Space Engineers. But it's a "subscription beta". So I have to pay you for the privilege of doing your testing for you? Fuck that. Also - single server MMO? Not sure that's going to scale.

ISTM the market for that one beats all Eve/E:D/Space Engineers/Star Citizen/Dual Universe/NMS MMO is mahoosive - and nobody has quite nailed it yet.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of DBOBE either. I'm doing some work for a company that has a lot to do with E:D producing payware add-ons. They report that there's been a significant change of approach recently and things are opening up. Let's hope so. Although I hope they don't do a Star Citizen and send more time on interacting with the playerbase than they do on developing the game!

Dual Universe does sound interesting, but I'm not paying to test it either. I agree; there's huge demand for a game that combines the size and freedom of E:D with the narrative and involvement of Eve.

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:02:22 pm »
Dual Universe does sound interesting, but I'm not paying to test it either. I agree; there's huge demand for a game that combines the size and freedom of E:D with the narrative and involvement of Eve.

plus the fucked up physics of Space Engineers  ;D.

I once considered what it would be like if E:D had even the Kerbal Space Programme concept of proper orbital mechanics. It would take AGES to get anywhere; one's life would be dominated by injection burns, and manoeuvre nodes. Nah - forget that...!