Author Topic: The Computer Game Thread  (Read 19029 times)

Chris S

Re: The Computer Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: 28 February, 2021, 11:31:03 pm »
Valheim.

When you cross Playstation 1 graphics,  2021 particle effect filters, and survival game mechanics; you get a video game experience that feels like you're playing the role of a character in an illustrated Grimm fairy tale.

I've been playing online with another forummer; and it's bloody awesome.

It's little surprise that this early-access indie title has sold 4 million copies on Steam this month.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #76 on: 01 March, 2021, 07:10:07 am »
MS Flight Simulator. Shameless plug: I've been involved in the development of a voice control product over the last year, and it's just had its first independent review by Obsidian Ant.

https://youtu.be/ccPFDt2-ITA

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #77 on: 10 April, 2021, 09:34:51 am »
Gosh there has been a AMD 6700XT for sale at Scan for over a day.  Asrock is nobody's favourite brand and at £785 about £400 more than I would pay for a card I want.

« Reply #78 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:07:36 am »
Availability of AMD 5000 series CPUs seems to have improved with  more reasonable pricing atm apart from Currys, who seem to have gone bananas wih pricing, although MSRP hitherto. The latest intel Cpus are not selling well it seems and are already being discounted.

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-amd-ryzen-5000-zen-3-cpu
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #79 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »
Oh dear, I drank too much tonight and broke my rule of never buying expensive things when I am tired in the evening. I find in the morning when I am wide awake that I will decide against it.  I know I should of waited for the price to fall as it will soon. The cost of AMD 6700XT is falling.   Tonight after half a bottle of Casa Silva Cabernet/Camenere I logged on to Scan and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700XT in exchange for £800. One of the better cards of its type but not worth that. Some of the more recent 6700xt cards to appear are just above £700 now.

If I was less impatient I would of waited for a 6800 which is a much better choice to appear at a lower cost.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #80 on: 09 June, 2021, 02:20:04 pm »
At least I didn't use the most expensive shop. I found it at a few other shops who wanted more.

Now I need a new game to play.  I considered Godfall but all reviews are bad and from what I saw I would not like it anyway.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #81 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:16:25 pm »
I just bought the game control in the steam sale for £13.99

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #82 on: 28 August, 2021, 10:27:35 pm »
I just downloaded Borderlands 3 for my brother to play when he comes home.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #83 on: 07 May, 2022, 01:40:33 pm »
I have decided not to play a computer game until September. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #84 on: 07 May, 2022, 02:10:59 pm »
I can’t play anything more sophisticated than Minesweeper atm because my new PC still hasn’t been built yet chiz.  I assume this is due to inability to source bits from the Fiendish Godless Hordes of Beijing  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #85 on: 09 July, 2022, 04:08:39 pm »
£20 quid has been exchanged for Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition.  I get 58 fps with my system with high graphics settings. Perfectly playable apart from my inept gameplay.

Not that I am playing it until the weather gets bad.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #86 on: 21 September, 2022, 11:59:39 am »
Nvidia announced their new 4090,  4080 and 4080 cutdown models.  The pricing remains very high.  The 4080 cutdown 12MB version is particularly highly priced that is why it is called a 4080 because it is obviously a 4070 but even Nvidia are embarrassed that a $600 price uplift on a mainstream model so they called it 4080 12MB.

As ever Nvidia present their product in a slightly dishonest best light.  They seem very proud of DLSS 3.0.  Commentators are suspicious that they mostly showed examples of games moving in a straight line. Cars along a road, planes in Flight Simulator.  It is suspected it may be less clever in more complex situations.  DLSS 3.0 also has the problem it only works on the new cards.  Games companies, except those making a Nvidia sponsored game will not be interested.  AMD FSR 2.0 from AMD while good but not quite as good as DLSS 2.0 works on the majority of graphics cards currently in use.  Game developers like that.

We need to wait for 3rd party reviews before we form an opinion on there new cards.  AMD make their announcement of new cards 3rd November.

« Reply #87 on: 23 September, 2022, 08:19:22 pm »
Given the recent increases in energy costs who in their right mind would want to run a system using 600 watts plus at 50 odd P per KWh?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 23 September, 2022, 08:32:13 pm »
Given the recent increases in energy costs who in their right mind would want to run a system using 600 watts plus at 50 odd P per KWh?

Someone with electric heating.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #90 on: 16 October, 2023, 06:51:37 pm »
Recently I bought a new Graphics card.  A PowerColor Red Devil 5800XT.  A great card for 1440p gaming.  Adequate for many Ray Tracing games but Nvidia is still usually a long way ahead, with a few exceptions.   

It came with copy of Starfield Premium edition. Which I think of as Wallpaper. That is to say nothing to get excited about. I would probably be upset if I had paid £85.99 for it.

TimC

« Reply #91 on: 17 October, 2023, 07:40:18 pm »
A 5800XT? New? Blimey! I didn't think anything older than the 6000-series cards came with the Starfield offer. And I wasn't aware that a 5800XT existed. I thought the 5700XT was the top dog of that generation.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #92 on: 17 October, 2023, 10:01:54 pm »
I meant AMD RX 7800xt.  Numeracy in this country is terrible. It is all my fault for playing too many computer games.

TimC

« Reply #93 on: 17 October, 2023, 11:23:53 pm »
😁

Yes, I also bought a 7800XT recently (to replace a 5700XT as it happens). It's quick, but it bloody should be at the price. Its notable that the 6800XT - if you can find it - has held up in price as the 7800 is far less of an advance than the market had hoped it would be. I have a 6750XT in my other desktop and the difference isn't great (the 6750 is an overclocked 6700).

Starfield is a waste of disk space, as far as I can see.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #94 on: 20 October, 2023, 12:01:19 am »
Look, Mr L, American Truck Simulator is not a racing game so if you will insist on a sightseeing trip in a Challenger Hellcat don’t be surprised if you crash.  A lot.