Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851414 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5850 on: 02 December, 2020, 01:47:07 pm »
From Halfords: a new inner tube, some replacement plastic tyre levers for the ones what snapped yesterday and some steel ones for if I end up completely stuck again. Obviously I'll try and avoid using them.

From Amazon: Some new brake pads - £3 for the same thing that Halfords wanted a tenner for.

From Decathlon: Two pairs of their basic bib tights for commuting, a pair of waterproof trousers for the same, and a new long sleeve jersey mostly because I liked the colour but also full zip should help a bit with temperature regulation on those in betweeny days.

A slightly expensive day but then the Wiggle bib tights I have are falling apart (I've had a good ten years out of them though).
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5851 on: 20 December, 2020, 03:43:29 pm »
An el cheapo slow cooker to melt down candles for chain lube.  And the other day a member of the council delivered a big thick candle to every house in the village. Everyone else wastes these by burning them overnight on Christmas Eve.  I reckon a single candle will last me a year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5852 on: 20 December, 2020, 06:01:57 pm »
Fenix BC21R V2.0 light. About £50 off Aliexpress. I've had the v1 version for a few years, the v2 seems like a nice upgrade - a bit slimmer and lighter. And a better mount, the old one could be a bit wobbly. Also USB C charging, and a clearer battery level indicator.
Have now fitted them both on the bars, so I have a backup in case of battery running low.

« Reply #5853 on: 25 December, 2020, 12:55:33 am »
A Samsung galaxy 2 Bluetooth heart rate monitor to use on Zwift. I've theory I put more effort into real life cycling than the virtual world. Other than the fan zwift doesn't do headwinds.

Apparently HRMs are a non-essential item so I changed it for a really, really cheapo model which probably lies about everything except the time and won't link to Zwift.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5854 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:54:04 am »
A pair of oversize lockrings to secure Shimano ultegra disc rotor to Miche DX hub.

« Reply #5855 on: 27 December, 2020, 12:41:59 pm »

« Reply #5856 on: 28 December, 2020, 10:43:00 am »
A couple fistfuls of lights from PX and a gillet from reverse gear cycles.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5857 on: 30 December, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
More like post-cycling stuff than cycling stuff.

A vibrator massage gun.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5858 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:05:12 am »
A rack for the Brompton that I bought my wife for Christmas, so that she can more easily wheel it through tube stations when she is allowed to return to work  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5859 on: 30 December, 2020, 11:42:47 am »
Why would a rack make it easier to wheel through tube stations?  My old Brommie had a rack that made it easier to carry sometimes.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5860 on: 30 December, 2020, 12:35:43 pm »
Why would a rack make it easier to wheel through tube stations?  My old Brommie had a rack that made it easier to carry sometimes.

If it's partially folded (rear triangle swung underneath) then the rack has wheels that make it easier to wheel along using the handlebars.   My Brompton has the rack wheels re-positioned on the outside of the rack to improve wheeling stability.

« Reply #5861 on: 30 December, 2020, 04:28:53 pm »

If it's partially folded (rear triangle swung underneath) then the rack has wheels that make it easier to wheel along using the handlebars.   My Brompton has the rack wheels re-positioned on the outside of the rack to improve wheeling stability.

They have obviously improved it since mine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5862 on: 30 December, 2020, 04:36:20 pm »
I believe the current generation of wheels are an improvement on older ones, and the rack certainly adds stability to the folded package, but I've never found trolleying a Brompton around on its easy wheels to be quick and controllable enough for a tube-station-like environment.  With four (or presumably three, on the L type) wheels in contact with the ground, it only wants to roll in a straight line.  Your instinct to lean it to steer, as you might a skateboard, just causes it to tip.  The best method I've found it to pick it up by the saddle and push it along on two wheels.

(If you've got luggage attached and pulling it by the handlebars as a shopping trolley, it's tolerable, as you aren't trying to maintain a brisk walk.)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5863 on: 31 December, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
I ordered these lights  https://www.rutlandcycling.com/487470/products/cateye-ampp-400-front-and-orb-rechargeable-rear-bike-light-set.aspx?utm_source=email&mc_cid=c5c6f1fdfd&mc_eid=32c19fb867 yesterday. I've not had rechargables before, but the price and a review I read made the offer seem worth taking up.

Now, just need to ride a bike...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5864 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:04:34 am »
More like post-cycling stuff than cycling stuff.

A vibrator massage gun.

I won a shiatsu massager in our work Christmas charity raffle a couple of years ago. Lots of sniggers from colleagues etc., and it ended up on a shelf.
But then I dug out when MrsH was having shoulder issues that a deep hard hand message helped on - it was amazing how good it is. We use it quite a lot now; it really does ease tight and knotted muscles in a couple of minutes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5865 on: 31 December, 2020, 04:56:19 pm »
Ejendals Tegera 517 gloves. They are work gloves, but seem quite suitable for cycling. Supposed to be thermal and waterproof, will see how warm they are.

« Reply #5866 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:06:11 am »
Brooks Proofide

Just finished the tin on the bike I am using for Zwift.  Seems being indoors dries out leather.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5867 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:38:01 am »
Some eco cleaning solution, some Green Oil chain lube, and some proofide.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5868 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:20:02 pm »
Some Jo Burt bar tape.. the bloke that doodles, and made an awesome illustrated long distance cycling book.

« Reply #5869 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:55:59 pm »
As it's extremely cold outside and cycling being restricted by the pandemic (me being of the extremely critically vulnerable category), I bought one of these, to be used on my bike whilst I workout on my rollers. https://youtu.be/YFQdLLKxiww
VEL Sweat Guard

« Reply #5870 on: 09 January, 2021, 06:57:35 pm »
Those rollers are very nifty!

« Reply #5871 on: 09 January, 2021, 08:21:33 pm »
Those rollers are very nifty!
They cost me £825 back in 2009. Insideride have given permission for Elite to make similar ones
for the European market. One of those versions is about £350.

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/rollers/quick-motion

« Reply #5872 on: 09 January, 2021, 08:36:20 pm »
I've got the bog standard Elite rollers for lockdown - let's just say my attempts to try riding out of the saddle were more comical than effective  ;D

« Reply #5873 on: 13 February, 2021, 07:42:59 am »
I may not have ridden a bike in approximately eleven zillion years, but when I discovered that Trek had released bottle cages that match my bike exactly, I had to succumb. :facepalm: No longer must I suffer the Wrong Shade of Purple:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5874 on: 02 March, 2021, 09:15:21 pm »
Following on from this, a couple of freehub bodies.

PSA: The venerable FH-M756 is verging into unobtanium territory.