Author Topic: An Olympic random thread for small things that don't really etc etc etc  (Read 40740 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The hockey always confuses me, as I forget that the clock counts down rather than up like in footy etc
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: An Olympic random thread for small things that don't really etc etc etc
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2012, 07:56:58 pm »
Were you wondering how you kept on getting more and more time in the pub?
It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »
One of the German Beach Volleyball women seems to have been touched by  His Noodly Appendage.

Edit:  See what I mean?

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
One of the German Beach Volleyball women seems to have been touched by  His Noodly Appendage.

You're gonna have to expand (no, not in that way) to those of us who have been cycling (forum'ing) six years or less what 'Noodly Appendage' actually is.
Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »

You're gonna have to expand (no, not in that way) to those of us who have been cycling (forum'ing) six years or less what 'Noodly Appendage' actually is.
Thank you.

It's a reference to a satirical "religion" which purports to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:26:41 pm »
Ah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »
Satirical?  How dare you!  Blasphemy!
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »

One of the more artistic uses of 'K' tape, I've seen - one of the Chinese divers in the 10m synchro competition just had what looked like a boring large rectangle of ElastoplastTM covering her lumbar region. Mind you, the divers could with using another type of tape altogether, there's a lot of adjustment going on prior to resurfacing...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »
It's a very visible sugar pill.  I noted that, in the list of things various athletes must have with them, itemised in The Guardian, one had one of those fakey-bolox Balance bracelets. :facepalm:
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »
On seeing how attractive Gemma Gibbons (the Silver medalist Judoka) is when she was interviewed by Lineker, I'm tempted to start an 2012 eye-candy-of-both-sexes thread, but realised it wouldn't be entirely appropriate on such a grown-up forum. And that she's still only 17. :">
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »
And another thing. The presenters keep referring to the 'accelerena' which I thought was another cool and zippy name for the velodrome alongside 'the pringle'. Then I wondered why they were holding the boxing in the velodrome. Ah! Excel Arena. All is clear now
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »
On seeing how attractive Gemma Gibbons (the Silver medalist Judoka) is when she was interviewed by Lineker, I'm tempted to start an 2012 eye-candy-of-both-sexes thread, but realised it wouldn't be entirely appropriate on such a grown-up forum. And that she's still only 17. :">

She's older that 17, her mum passed away when she was 17

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
Thank goodness for that! Though she still has a hint of vulnerability which makes me come over all protective.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »
<wonders exactly how vulnerable an Olympic Judo silver medalist is>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LindaG

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »
I really am enjoying watching people on telly who are famous for doing something difficult.  Non - slebs with no make up and messy hair who are a bit sweaty. Excellent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:52:25 pm »
I really am enjoying watching people on telly who are famous for doing something difficult.  Non - slebs with no make up and messy hair who are a bit sweaty. Excellent.

If I had a telly and a vague interest in sport, I'd wholeheartedly agree with this.  Instead, I'll have to settle for agreeing on a theoretical level.  We need more people who are famous for things other than being famous.

LindaG

« Reply #18 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »
It's even better when they are not media savvy and sound like Real People. Inspiring.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:54:20 am »
It's even better when they are not media savvy and sound like Real People. Inspiring.

Unless they're opining on cycle helmets...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #20 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:48:34 am »

If I had a telly
You have a computer & an interweb connection . . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:51:28 am »
Gave up my ticket to today's diving semi final to a friend, as I have tickets for the final tomorrow, and I have a lot of work to catch up on. Instead of catching up on work, I've just sat in front of the TV all morning. I can see this isn't going to work out...

« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »
The olympics has been nothing like the Brittas Empire. I'm a little disappointed.

« Reply #23 on: 04 August, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »
........................... I've just sat in front of the TV all morning. I can see this isn't going to work out...
Think how fit you are getting watching all this sport!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 04 August, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »
The current Radio Times has short interviews with/profiles of some of the less well-known competitors. Luol Deng plays basketball for the Chicago Bulls and they don't want him to compete for Britain in the Olympics; they would prefer him to spend the summer nursing a wrist injury. But he has chosen to ignore them because he feels he owes it to Britain to give something back after the UK gave him and his family asylum when they fled civil war in the Sudan in the mid-90s.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.