Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1111016 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1800 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:08:04 pm »
We've just booked a holiday!!  \o/   \o/   \o/   \o/   \o/

Argentina for 3 weeks, leaving on Feb 1st. 

Quite excited...

Lovely country! I hope you visit the interior, up the Rio dela Plata as Rosario, Santa Fe and Cordoba countries are nice if you like the Wild West -- Mrs Mike is a horse rider, right?! I found BA very European and was happy not to spend too much tourist time there though. The very South is supposed to be stunning; a must do for us next time.

Enjoy your meat, probably the best there's still, and if you like blues listen to or bring an old Pappo CD.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1801 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:05:51 pm »
I booked ferry & train tickets this morning for our trip to Germany with Auntie Helen in May / June!

Planning jaunts doesn't half warm the cockles of your heart!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1802 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:19:45 pm »

Quite excited...
Where are you going? What are you doing?

It's over 20 years since I went. Great steaks, some decent wine, very friendly people (bit of "Don't talk about the war!", but no hostility), beautiful scenery in some places & bleak as hell in others.

Thinking of going sea lion/elephant seal/penguin/Patagonian Welsh spotting?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1803 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »

"I don't know why they can't speak bloody English so that the rest of us can understand them!"

« Reply #1804 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:29:19 pm »

"I don't know why they can't speak bloody English so that the rest of us can understand them!"
They all speak sort of weird Spanish with a funny accent*, even if they're called Haydn Evans (I visited his tea shop) or Myfanwy Price.

*Just like everyone else down there.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1805 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »

Quite excited...
Where are you going? What are you doing?

It's over 20 years since I went. Great steaks, some decent wine, very friendly people (bit of "Don't talk about the war!", but no hostility), beautiful scenery in some places & bleak as hell in others.

Buenos Aires, then lots of hiking, riding, biking and canoing in patagonia then back via the Torres del Paine in Chile and Santiago.  We're not planning on going to the very very south.

and an awful lot of steak and wine :D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1806 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »
I went to the physio today. She managed to sort out the problem and provide a partial cure to my very painful lower back/pelvis. Apparently I twisted it in an unplanned and abrupt saddle-sacrum interaction. She untwisted it and all of a sudden the rest of the muscles and ligaments don't need to try to compensate and it doesn't hurt.

The only downside is I am not allowed to run on it for a bit, nor swim other than crawl with gentle kicking.

Oh, and the cost of getting an immediate private appointment rather than waiting a month in agony for a GP referral to the NHS.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1807 on: 07 January, 2010, 06:17:30 pm »
I pick up n+1 tomorrow :)

« Reply #1808 on: 08 January, 2010, 10:43:53 am »
I think my new tyres have left Germany. :thumbsup:

At least I'm hoping that's what "The foreign mission was handled in the outbound packet Center" means after the German has been passed through Google's translation system.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1809 on: 08 January, 2010, 10:51:13 am »
"The foreign mission was handled in the outbound packet Center"

Sounds vaguely filthy.

And I guess that middle-aged, paunchy Germans are involved, so you can never be sure... :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #1810 on: 08 January, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »
I managed to get a ton of logs delivered today, so that we wouldn't absolutely freeze without a boiler. Then I managed to get hold of a heating engineer who has just fixed the boiler (new gas valve and circuit board).

This mean that I won't have to wear thermals, a hat, and gloves indoors all weekend.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1811 on: 09 January, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »
I have just put a deposit down on a latte-coloured Surly Long Haul Trucker.

They had a built one in my size, but I've left it there while the nice people at Brixton Cycles fit mudguards and order in the rack I want so they can fit that too.

*gibber*

« Reply #1812 on: 09 January, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
 :) Is that an n+1 or will there need to be a one in, one out pollicy?

They seem to be a great bike, enjoy it!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1813 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »

They had a built one in my size, but I've left it there while the nice people at Brixton Cycles fit mudguards and order in the rack I want so they can fit that too.

*gibber*
That's exciting. Congratulations.

« Reply #1814 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:05:42 pm »
I am unsure about that. Should probably be a one-in, one-out, given my policy of keeping my bikes safe and warm in my very small studio flat, although I could relegate one of the least valuable to the...gasp...garden I suppose, but I don't like that idea.

It is possible that one of my two existing bikes may need to be sought a loving home... ::-) I'm going to see how I get on but it's already a tight squeeze in here.  :-\

« Reply #1815 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:09:45 pm »

*gibber*
That's exciting. Congratulations.

Thanks. I am very excited!

« Reply #1816 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:31:41 pm »
Can you store bikes vertically (ie one above another), or are you already doing that?

There were previous mutterings about an external bike store, and anchor point, but presumably the cost of that has now been spent on n+1. :)

Anyways, congratulations on the new steed. :thumbsup:

« Reply #1817 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:56:48 pm »
Already doing that with a Minoura gravity stand Tim.

I've abandoned the external bike store idea for now. I just couldn't reconcile myself to the idea of valuable bikes outside, and my garden is overlooked so that kind of store would have screamed 'expensive bikes inside'. Plus it really is just so much easier to wheel my bike outside and go when it is sitting there inside and I don't live in a particularly salubrious area. And I think the bikes look nice hanging on the stand, even if non-bike people don't!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1818 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
Well, NSTN, when is this happy event due to take place?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1819 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »
I could have actually taken it home today, but I want it to have mudguards and a nice Tubus rack. A particular kind of rack with double rails, which they didn't have in stock. So I've left it with them so they can order in the rack and fit everything, and just dropped in my Brooks-alike Selle Anatomica saddle from the Eclipse and spare SPD pedals so they can stick those on too while they're at it. I get free fettling labour for a year from them now. I cannot tell you how pleased this makes me, because my fettling tends to make things worse, not better....

They reckon it should be ready by Friday/next weekend, as we are just waiting for the rack really  :thumbsup:

This makes me even more annoyed that not one but two events are stopping me from taking the bike's WARTY virginity this month. I shall have to seek out a ride of some sort.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1820 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:14:54 pm »
I'd gladly organise a ride in Essex somewhere, but I'd suggest that our roads are much nastier at the moment than any off-road you've ever attempted.

« Reply #1821 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »
This makes me even more annoyed that not one but two events are stopping me from taking the bike's WARTY virginity this month. I shall have to seek out a ride of some sort.

You could come camping with us next weekend.

« Reply #1822 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »
I'd gladly organise a ride in Essex somewhere, but I'd suggest that our roads are much nastier at the moment than any off-road you've ever attempted.

Thanks Wow, but I take your point. The roads in London (where I am anyway) have been pretty good thus far. There is always Richmond Park, but I don't know what its roads are like at the moment...

Oh Tim, what a wit you are  ::-) ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1823 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
Cool.  That is such a good choice.  I'd love a Long Haul Trucker (if I didn't already have my Orbit ;) )
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1824 on: 09 January, 2010, 07:14:37 pm »
I've thought about a Long Haul Trucker too, but it would duplicate so much of what my Thorn does so well.