Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813556 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1025 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:39:43 am »
Cycled into Bristol last night to meet friend for Curry Club at Wetherspoons - heavy rain all the way there, thankfully GoreTex kept top half dry but Rainlegs let in water, dry for the ride home though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1026 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:44:08 am »
Pleasant London Festival of Architecture ride shepherded by Southwark Cyclists last night.  Started approx 100m from my work, so I had to, really.  Visited various interesting buildings, and learned a lot about the regeneration of Waterloo/Southwark.  Got an opportunity to go inside a few places.  Well worth the trip, even if concrete is boring, and a bit crap as a material.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1027 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
I went as far as the garage and the turbo.  10 mins' warm-up at 52 x 21, 20 minutes at 52 x 18 and 10 minutes' warm-down going through the gears.

Better than nothing, I suppose, and I sweated buckets.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #1028 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:23:42 pm »
100k up Los Tres Bastardos (Cob Lane Ditchling Beacon and a new bastardo up to Patcham windmill; now feel completely wasted. Lots of riders in Ditchling something big goin' down; also did Devil's Dyke which is shut tomorrow for a ride (Capital to Coast?)

« Reply #1029 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »
Two short runs today - both about 4 miles.  One on the tandem with MiniQ to go and get a cooked breakfast at The Village Centre in Chinnor, and the other a quick sprint on the Pinarello to drop off a rucksack of stuff for MiniQ so she could have a sleepover at her mate's place.

Well, that's 8 miles car use avoided  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1030 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »
I went off to Duxford for the airshow & back.  90 miles in just over 5½ hours.  I'd got a jacket in my back pocket, and didn't have to put it on, as there was only a light shower heading through Stevenage. 

In fact it was raining there on the way back as well, but I guess that's not surprising as it's a bit of a hell hole (apologies to anyone who lives there).  I ended up doing about 5 miles more than I needed to, due to the daft road layouts and lack of proper signs.

Still, it was a very nice, gently undulating ride with quite a bit of sunshine in places, and lots of very picturesque villages.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1031 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:08:46 am »
Was going out today but an old shoulder injury is playing up. I know from experience not to risk it. When I tweaked it climbing in the Alps I then went on a four hour mtb ride. I was in extreme pain for two days afterwards.

Of course now the sun has come out, it is taunting me. Plus I was meant to be leading a ride today.

Would wine with my breakfast be bad?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Pete

« Reply #1032 on: 13 July, 2008, 02:25:37 pm »
100k up Los Tres Bastardos (Cob Lane Ditchling Beacon and a new bastardo up to Patcham windmill; now feel completely wasted. Lots of riders in Ditchling something big goin' down; also did Devil's Dyke which is shut tomorrow for a ride (Capital to Coast?)
Do you mean Mill Road (ex A27 - taken on its own, not all that steep - even I can do it - just a mile-long drag) or one of the more 'challenging' routes up further south e.g. Windmill Drive (used to go up that one as well in my younger days ::-))?  But I suppose, after the Cob and DB, anything is going to seem 'challenging'....

Pete

« Reply #1033 on: 13 July, 2008, 02:37:43 pm »
No great shakes, but at least I managed to fit in 40 modest miles this morning, so it wasn't a wasted Sunday ... made High Cross my end-point, that somewhat under-publicized Sussex landmark (it's a mile or two west of where Peli & co passed by yesterday).  Landmark, did I say?  A bit of poetic licence, though you can get a prominent view of this bit of tacky ersatz kitsch from a point just off the A22.  Go any nearer and you're liable to get shot.  Shot, that is, at the behest of one of Sussex's most conspicuous intermittent residents - 'intermittent' seeing as he spends much of the rest of the time 'resident' courtesy of Her Majesty's ....  but it's good cycling country around there.   I did not meet up with the aforementioned landlord  ;D.

« Reply #1034 on: 13 July, 2008, 02:38:50 pm »
Another good club run. Lancaster, Wray, Bentham, Clapham, Austwick, Settle (cafe stop), Wray, Brookhouse, Littledale, Lancaster.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1035 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:53:50 pm »
115 miles or so with Reading CTC to the Royal Oak at Wooton Rivers via the Tutti Pole at Hungerford.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

goatpebble

« Reply #1036 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
Sunday morning was a success, of sorts. I had to break into my flat two days ago, and in the process of launching myself through a small gap above my front door, in a smooth athletic sort of leap, I discovered that I had probably broken a rib.

Two nights of sleepless pain, and this morning I decide to attack the steepest hill out of town. It starts just 100 meters from my flat, and is an unforgiving 5km climb, that gets steeper and steeper as you progress. Halfway, the serious gradients start, with no chance of a sensible warm up. I took the easy option of the mountain bike, because I was feeling crap.

It was a wee bit painful, but despite it's reputation, it really was a kitten of a ride. The worst section meant just ten minutes of panting, and possible loss of dignity.

This really made me think of how I prepare myself, and why I become afraid of things when I don't do them enough.

So opening a beer is painful, but a big hill just feels like a big hill.

Interesting.

PS  the 5km hill was just the start of the ride. There were more hills to follow...

« Reply #1037 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:03:27 pm »
About 55m today- 8-9m into and back from MCR with GF to the start of MCR-Blackpool. Waved her off and then went home (back to bed for a while).
Later, a ride with Chorlton Wanderers on the "Tour de Macc".
Everyone else said that this ride was 52m so maybe the computer on the MTB under reads.
Great weather all day though GF had developed a more startling biker tan than I have. *

MTB rolls surprisingly well compared to the Super G.
Didn't use the Super G 'cos "New Super G" has arrived and LBS is changing over the "special" bits from the old SG to the new one.

* She's just come out of the bath. Startling is an understatement.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1038 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:23:51 pm »
About 9 miles "round the block" to test the lighting rig for Dunwich.  I'd forgotten how draggy a dynamo hub is when active; switching the light on and off is quite noticeable*.  I'm going to use a crappy little battery minilight until I really need to see where I'm going, which should give me an hour-and-a-half of easier pedalling at either end.

*a SON pulls about 7W at my usual speed of 17mph, which is 5% of total output.  It's only 65% efficient (the normally quoted figure) at around 10mph.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #1039 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:26:12 pm »
No, but a nice hilly hour's run (of the running kind) up through woods onto the Offa's Dyke long-distance path and back along an obscure footpath through fields.  Lovely :)

I paced it well, trotted round and felt good the whole way.   Could have gone longer, and it's been a while since I felt that way on a run. 

A good day.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1040 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
Bloody cyclists riding on footpaths  ::-)
 ;)

« Reply #1041 on: 13 July, 2008, 11:05:54 pm »
I did a fairly easy 45 miles, 26 of which was the London Bikeathon Scenic route, from the Royal Hospital Chelsea out to Richmond Park and back, and 19 of which was cycling to and from the start!

If I'd been doing it by myself, I guess I would have done the 52 miles option, but I was doing it with some friends from work, and I think 26 miles was enough for them!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1042 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:42:21 am »
I rode 100 miles over the North York Moors yesterday, including tackling this for the first time:

It really is very very steep.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1043 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:43:08 am »
I rode 100 miles over the North York Moors yesterday, including tackling this for the first time:

chapeau, did you make it up there in one?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1044 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:08:07 am »

1.3 what?  I though gradients were always either 1 in X or X%.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1045 on: 14 July, 2008, 12:47:25 pm »
It is 1 in 3 - I'm pretty sure it says 1 in 3 on the other signs.  I assume they ran out of space on that one...

I did get up it in one go, discounting when I stopped to take that photo.  There was a dodgy moment when I was riding at <3 mph and I thought I would topple over sideways :-\

« Reply #1046 on: 14 July, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »
65 pleasant miles on Saturday. The lats bit was even fast.  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #1047 on: 14 July, 2008, 01:50:57 pm »
This morning - longest ever ride on mtb with child seat and small child.  To chiropractor, jobs in town then fun ride.  Only about 9 miles in total, but the furthest we've been together.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1048 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:49:06 am »
Sounds cool. I am going out today because my shoulder, although still a bit tight, feels much better. I will get a couple of hours in then take Mrs. J-tsc out for a training ride. She has a triathlon on Sunday....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1049 on: 15 July, 2008, 09:41:53 am »
Sorry to hear about your shoulder Jasper. I hope the younger J's shoulder is healing ok?

Best of luck to Mrs J in the triathlon, have lots of respect for people who do those kind of shenanigans.

Am back to commuting today; Sundays extra mileage kept me off yesterday, my legs felt like lead, but better now.