Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889687 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #950 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »
a lovely ride down to west London (60 miles), very tasty cheescake with Charlotte, admired new Tandem and amazing new garage, then a sprint to Kings x, train to cambridge, gentle pootle home.  Quite sunburnt now :D

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #951 on: 04 July, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
A grand and hilly ride from Bentham over to Slaidburn then around the Trough of Bowland past Jubilee Towers and Quernmore .I managed again to fail to find the tea rooms at Scorton ,in fact I failed to find Scorton.I was out with a friend of mine who  is a keen MTBr but I have managed to convince at least partly of the joys of the road ,although Im not sure he was convinced  as we rode up to the Tatham fells ;)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #952 on: 04 July, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
We had a three o'clock appointment to view a bungalow in the village of Freckleton this afternoon so we thought we might as well build the viewing into a bike ride. From Lytham we pootled through Wrea Green and Wesham, found a rough road closed to cars to by-pass Kirkham and stopped by the Lancaster Canal at the Hand and Dagger for a pint. We then made our way via quiet country lanes towards Preston and exchanged cornfields and birdsong for city traffic. Passing Ribble Cycles without stopping was probably the achievment of the day and then a quick comfort stop at Morrisons (aren't supermakets convenient) and we were meandering throught the old docklands. A fast buzz down the A583/4 and we arrived at the viewing at five to three. The viewing agent did the usual "you cycled how far?" stuff but the bungalow turned out to be ideal, so fingers crossed there. Back to Lytham via crappy cycle paths, a quick cuppa with my Mum in Ansdell and then home to St. Annes. All in all a nice mixture of leisure and utility cycling.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #953 on: 05 July, 2008, 10:18:05 am »
Mrs. J. and myself ventured over and through the Downs today. Hampshire was visited as was Rowlands Castle where sarnies and coffee were quaffed. Sussex looking very nice, seeing as you asked...
Oh you lucky thing- I am jealous- my trip to work through the delights of Forest Hill and Sydenham  past the gasworks and Sainsburys Superstore doesn't have quite the same poetic ring to it.  I did take a ride up to Shaftesbury Avenue after work to pick up some cranks and stuff from Jakob and took a spin round regents Park afterwards before flying home over Waterloo Bridge and the Elephant after.  That was a bit good.

Ending on a high note, always a good thing. Actually during our ride I discussed Mrs. Js next bike and a Roberts similar to yours appears to have become a favourite goal.......last year I bought her a thoroughbred Colnago and she could never get on with it, the Roberts would suit her riding style more.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #954 on: 05 July, 2008, 12:40:26 pm »
Family ride to the Salt Ayre track for its grand opening. A complete washout. Worst weather on a Saturday morning for about 2 years.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #955 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:16:29 pm »
A mere 26 miles.  Rode to the cafe with the CTC, looked at the sky, felt the wind and decided to head the shortest way back with a couple of others.  We stayed dry, but watching the clouds that passed to the west of us, I think hoppy1848 and the main bunch got drenched  ;)

It was amazingly windy for summer, and wouldn't have shamed a winter's day.  Passing gaps in the hedge meant gripping the bars tightly, or suddenly my front wheel developed a mind of its own.

Oh...and an encounter with WVM on the way out (see On The Road).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #956 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »
A trip to Waitrose.

I'll be going back later: I overheard one of the chaps on the hot chickens counter commenting along hte lines that "We'll never get rid of this lot!" They shut at 8, so around 7 p.m. I'll go and buy a chicken or two and, if they've got any bread rolls reduced.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #957 on: 05 July, 2008, 10:52:28 pm »
Up to Bankside to join a London Festival of Architecture ride around various public spaces.  From Tower Bridge round the City, up to Shoreditch, Haggerston Park, Newington Green, Emirates Stadium, Paradise Park, and through to a former cemetery in St Pancras, where we saw the tomb of Sir John Soan.  About 12 miles in all, in a group of about twenty or so, of various abilities.  Respect to the tour leaders & TEC who kept us all together.

We rode our tandem, which was much improved after the changes we'd made following last weekend. :thumbsup:

Even in the two places where we needed to carry it down steps, it was a great bike.

Taking it up to Cambridgeshire tomorrow. :)
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #958 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:20:55 am »

Ending on a high note, always a good thing. Actually during our ride I discussed Mrs. Js next bike and a Roberts similar to yours appears to have become a favourite goal.......last year I bought her a thoroughbred Colnago and she could never get on with it, the Roberts would suit her riding style more.

Mrs J is a very lucky woman-  Mr Jane is constantly trying to persuade me to empty the shed of bikes rather than add to our collection.  And it looks like I'll have to buy him a bike to get him out on the road with me. 

More thread relevant- popped out this morning very early for a riveride trip- Greenich to Woolwich and back.  Not very far but needed a rest from the 60 mile ridei in E.Sussex yesterday led by a friend of mine which seemed to consist of hills, hills and more hills although very beautiful ones with gorgeous views passing through lovely villages like Rotherfield, Chiddingly Langton Green (too many more to mention.)  All the hills meant some lovely descents, though, clear and safe enough to really let rip.  And a few easy miles iin the middle along the Cuckoo trail to get our breath back before hills hills and more hills.  (Any of you who know Paul Taylor's rides will understand!)  Then, near the end of the ride, one of our party seemed to have dropped off the back, we waited and waited at the top of the hill, then realised that even walking he was being a bit slow- so back down the hill we reluctantly went to find him trying to wheel a bike with a hideously mangled rear wheel and derailleur up to us.  We eventually managed to salvage enough chain to attempt to get him going on one gear the couple of miles to the station but even then the wheel was so wrecked and something nasty seemed to have occurred within the bottom bracket - he couldn't ride it- so we chilled out at the nearby pub and waited for a cab to get him to the station.
  I really enjoyed the day- it makes it more interesting when things don't quite go to plan- and it wasn't my bike!
       Jane

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #959 on: 06 July, 2008, 12:37:24 pm »
Looked out pitifully at the wind and rain, went back to bed.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #960 on: 06 July, 2008, 01:39:02 pm »
Yes, of course.  It was wet, of course.

« Reply #961 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:30:25 pm »
Nice short but hilly 50 miler around Quernmore, Through of Bowland, Slaidburn, Lowgill, Wray, Littledale.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #962 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:13:53 pm »
Nice short but hilly 50 miler around Quernmore, Through of Bowland, Slaidburn, Lowgill, Wray, Littledale.

Bloody hell you must have got wet. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I went round there on friday twas nice and sunny.

alan

« Reply #963 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »
A first for me.I actually started a ride while it was raining & windy :o
Rode over to Don Amott's to look at motorhomes(on the advice of GillP I left my wallet & all methods of making any payments at home).
The route :-
Tean-Uttoxeter-Doveridge-Sudbury-Scropton-Hatton-Hilton  & reversed coming home.
66km
3hrs 25 mins
on the fixie :thumbsup:
The new jacket was tested in anger :thumbsup: & I used Shimano sandals with Sealskin socks :thumbsup:.
I used a Brooks saddle & a Carradice Barley but couldn't do a beard so had to settle for a 36 hour shadow ;D
Crossed the path of 8 other cyclists & they all exchanged greetings. 8)
The longest ride I've done for a little while(a couple of months) & certainly the longest on the fixie.I really enjoyed that despite the very wet & windy weather &  have that warm glow of satisfaction.

LEE

« Reply #964 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:26:40 pm »
No.

It was blowing the potted plants all over the garden yesterday and now it's raining all Biblical like.

Staying in.

« Reply #965 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:29:29 pm »

Bloody hell you must have got wet. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I went round there on friday twas nice and sunny.
I have to say we were rather lucky with our timing.

Some drizzle on the way. Cafe stop at Wray: Heavens open. Chris notices a puncture on his back wheel, changes the inner tube, inflates the tyre. The rain stops. Back home: heavens open again  :thumbsup:

« Reply #966 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:33:26 pm »
flattish, reasonably quick (for me) 14 miles on the tandem with MiniQ.  Set off in the dry....arrived back soaked so MiniQ retired to the bath with a cup of tea and a Mars Delight, which she had the decency to share.  The Mars, not the bath...

Went from Kingston Blount off round Postcombe, through edge of Thame and back along the Phoenix Trail to Henton, Chinnor and home.  We even did a bit of rough-stuff, albeit not hilly.

Jolly good fun. :thumbsup:

« Reply #967 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:35:18 pm »
I went out for about an hour and a half this morning and did some exploring of an off-road riverside trail not too far from the house. It turned out to be very twisty and narrow, meaning I had to keep my speed down in case someone came the other way, but it looks like perfect territory for a pootle with my wife on a nicer day, especially since it's flat! Don't know the distance but probably between 12 and 15 miles.

Also today was the first time I've used SPDs:)

« Reply #968 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:57:40 pm »
A circuit of Rutland Water in aid of the BHF with Mrs A. Rained alot, but was nice scenery and a good cause and remarkably good fun :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #969 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »
Yes, with Nutkin and Andrij, in the wind and gales.  Andrij and I did a couple of mini TT's.  I had an almost over the handlebar moment coming down the Col de Barking, Andrij had a foot of the pedal, almost using it to brake on reaching the bend at the bottom, twas the scariest moment I have ever had on my bike.

We enjoyed a pub lunch, not sure what the locals thought, the guys had their tongues out and their eyes on stalks, not sure if this was for Andrij or Nutkin and myself!

We got back to the farm to find it was closing so no tea and cakes for the girls.

Andrij is on his way back on the train.

The lasagne is cooking nicely.

« Reply #970 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:27:45 pm »
Yup. 96 miles including the Wetherby 100. Quite wet, reasonably fast and all rather easy.

« Reply #971 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:28:45 pm »
yep, 30 miles with my mate Loz, putting the world to rights. Dry but breezy.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #972 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:49:35 pm »
Yes, with Nutkin and Andrij, in the wind and gales.  Andrij and I did a couple of mini TT's.  I had an almost over the handlebar moment coming down the Col de Barking, Andrij had a foot of the pedal, almost using it to brake on reaching the bend at the bottom, twas the scariest moment I have ever had on my bike.

We enjoyed a pub lunch, not sure what the locals thought, the guys had their tongues out and their eyes on stalks, not sure if this was for Andrij or Nutkin and myself!

We got back to the farm to find it was closing so no tea and cakes for the girls.

TT ing does not normally involve braking with the feet, unless of course you are on a fixie.

Glad to hear your training is going well for the Tuesday night TT  ;)

« Reply #973 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:21:59 pm »
Yes. Hills, hills, hills, and my word my thighs are complaining now!   :o

annie

« Reply #974 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:23:21 pm »

TT ing does not normally involve braking with the feet, unless of course you are on a fixie.

Glad to hear your training is going well for the Tuesday night TT  ;)

Oh erm yes well.

It was only a very tiny spurt of enerygy you realise, couldn't get faster than 26mph on the flat, my legs then told me to stop but my lungs seemed to be ok'ish.