Author Topic: The Fall  (Read 8486 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The Fall
« Reply #50 on: 07 December, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
<snip>
For me, when you start picking holes in plot or character motivation then that is a sign that the program has lost its way. A well made film/program will carry you to the end regardless - that's if it knows what it's doing.

As I say, I reckon after season one they tried to change direction. Perhaps in response to audience response, don't know. Whyever, they've gotten lost. I'm not sure the directors/writers know what they are trying to say.
well we're not picking holes in the plot :)

It's very different plot-wise from most serial killer TV series that come before it - this might be why some folks aren't convinced by it.

I'm finding the conflicts and development of each character intriguing. They're all a bit weird - from the schoolgirl to Gibson's amorous beardy boss.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 19 December, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »
So, what did we all think of the ending? Pretty good, I thought. The interview showdown between DSI Gibson and Spector was nicely done - seemed designed to make you feel almost complicit with Spector for even watching the series. And I loved the bit when Stella gave amorous beardy boss a ticking off.

Although...
(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

« Reply #52 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »
well we're not picking holes in the plot :)

You might not have been but I was. My point was that when one starts picking holes then it's a sign that one has lost interest. I actually don't care how it ends. For me, there's little of interest to be resolved.

I guess that Rose will be found, the baddie will be caught, Gibson will be vindicated/happy faced...  or some variation thereof. What tension there was quickly went for me. This series has been 2 episodes too long IMHO.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #53 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »
So, what did we all think of the ending? Pretty good, I thought. The interview showdown between DSI Gibson and Spector was nicely done - seemed designed to make you feel almost complicit with Spector for even watching the series. And I loved the bit when Stella gave amorous beardy boss a ticking off.

Although...
(click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Although...
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 19 December, 2014, 02:09:55 pm »
I actually don't care how it ends. For me, there's little of interest to be resolved.

It comes back to what you said earlier about considering it as television. If I wanted to watch a simple whodunit, I'd stick with Miss Marple. Plot details aren't always the most interesting aspects of drama anyway; on the whole, I'm more interested in the journey than the destination. How the relationship between Gibson and Spector played out was, for me, more interesting than whether or not they caught him.

YMMV.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #55 on: 19 December, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »
I would agree with Citoyen about the journey, but add that it is necessary (for me) that the characters have some depth and originality. I would have said 'teeth' or 'bite', but that just reminds me of Tony Hopkins...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Andrew

« Reply #56 on: 19 December, 2014, 09:38:41 pm »
Plot details aren't always the most interesting aspects of drama anyway

Agreed. For me, for example, character motivation is more important. So again, as I said, if you find yourself questioning plot then it's a sure sign that you've lost interest.

Did they clarify just why baddie changed character entirely after seeing 'that English women' flashing flesh on tele? Just what was the 'relationship' between the two of them? Don't answer that BTW!

red marley

« Reply #57 on: 21 December, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »
The interview showdown between DSI Gibson and Spector was nicely done - seemed designed to make you feel almost complicit with Spector for even watching the series.

Absolutely. During that 20 minute interview sequence, Gibson shows Spector (and us) the video he'd made of his abduction in which he shouts to camera "Why are you watching this you sick fuck?". Gibson then goes on to say "Who are you talking to? Yourself? Me? People who like to read, to watch programmes about people like you?"

This felt like classy UK television writing to rival some of the best US efforts. Almost unbearably difficult to watch at times though. I thought the three characters of thuggish Jimmy, Gibson's pathetic boss and controlling Spector made for interesting comparison in their attitudes to women - each hating the others, but with an uncomfortable similarity between them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #58 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:37:38 pm »
Excellent TV.  Just spent today watching the entire series.  A Sunday well spent in front of a log fire with some wine.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #59 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:50:17 am »
We just finished watching both sets of DVDs at 2 episodes per night. 

Bit of a spoiler here:

(click to show/hide)

This serial has been atypical all the way through: the usual stereotypes were avoided, there was none of the "I've got a gut feeling, Jim" crap that comes up repeatedly in US serials**, only a very slight suggestion of the usual "pressure from above" syndrome, and the procedurals, in particular with the dispatcher and the interviews, were brilliant.

It was also great to take a bath in my home-town accent.

We noticed the similarity to The Killing, but I think I preferred this for the lack of peripheral issues.  None of it was boring.  But like the killing, I don't think it will be particulary rewatchable.

**I wonder if they started calling them mini-series to avoid confusion with Cheerios.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #60 on: 12 January, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »
We just finished watching both sets of DVDs at 2 episodes per night. 

Bit of a spoiler here:

(click to show/hide)

This serial has been atypical all the way through: the usual stereotypes were avoided, there was none of the "I've got a gut feeling, Jim" crap that comes up repeatedly in US serials**, only a very slight suggestion of the usual "pressure from above" syndrome, and the procedurals, in particular with the dispatcher and the interviews, were brilliant.

It was also great to take a bath in my home-town accent.

We noticed the similarity to The Killing, but I think I preferred this for the lack of peripheral issues.  None of it was boring.  But like the killing, I don't think it will be particulary rewatchable.

**I wonder if they started calling them mini-series to avoid confusion with Cheerios.

Re. Your Spoiler.

I also guessed wrong (and glad I was).

Overall, and in spite of some comments about her accent, I thought Gillian Anderson added just enough "A-list" presence to the series to lift it above most others.

It can get a bit same-old, same-old when you see the same-old, same-old go-to actors (ex-Holby, ex-Bill, Helen Mirren..etc).

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #61 on: 12 January, 2015, 03:56:13 pm »
I hope there won't be a series 3 - I wouldn't care for it to degenerate into Norn Iron Z-Cars.  In any case, this should sell well enough to lift Jamie Dornan's career a good few notches.  Ditto the wee lassie who played Katie.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #62 on: 12 January, 2015, 04:20:33 pm »
In any case, this should sell well enough to lift Jamie Dornan's career a good few notches. 

He already had the lead in "Fifty Shades of Grey".  It's not possible to lift a career profile higher than that. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #63 on: 12 January, 2015, 05:06:54 pm »
In any case, this should sell well enough to lift Jamie Dornan's career a good few notches. 

He already had the lead in "Fifty Shades of Grey".  It's not possible to lift a career profile higher than that.

It may seem strange to someone living in the UK, but I hadn't heard of the book or it's being a best seller.  I did see the film mentioned somewhere but the title is so cheesy I didn't bother with it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:22:33 pm »

It may seem strange to someone living in the UK, but I hadn't heard of the book or it's being a best seller.  I did see the film mentioned somewhere but the title is so cheesy I didn't bother with it.
It was the fastest selling book in french history! (in french translation)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #65 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:57:14 pm »
I'm obviously disconnected from popular culture.  Doesn't worry me.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #66 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:08:47 pm »
I'm obviously disconnected from popular culture.  Doesn't worry me.

Have you heard of Wowbagger?

If you have, and he's heard of you, then that could cause fluctuations in the Space-Time continuum.

The integrity of the Universe is held together by the facts that:

1) Wowbagger hasn't heard of n (Where n is something everyone else is aware of)

2) Wowbagger has heard of x (Where x plays Chess)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jakob

« Reply #68 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »
This finally got on Netflix in Canadaland and a convenient cold allowed me to finish season 2.
I loved Season 1. Few quips about Gibson's accent, but otherwise very good.
I ended up hating season 2. It's a 2 hour story dragged out to 6 hours. Ending was predictable once Jimmy got re-introduced. Apart from Katie, any character development had all but stopped. Scenes with very little happening are dragged out to an eternity and this is from someone who loves Japanese cinema, who are masters of that type of stuff.

Andrew

« Reply #69 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:08:35 am »
I ended up hating season 2. It's a 2 hour story dragged out to 6 hours.

I'm glad I'm not alone! I certainly felt that way after reading reviews. (I like to read reviews after I've seen something). Whilst I didn't hate season 2, I felt it was a let down after the first series. And I certainly didn't see nor have the interpretations that some reviewers had (e.g the one linked to above). Praps I am an insensitive, sexist, misogynistic ignorant WASP after all - despite my lip service to the contrary! No escaping our fate after all!