Author Topic: Small camping kettle recommendations  (Read 10509 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Small camping kettle recommendations
« Reply #25 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:26:44 pm »
Most of them also whistle, which gets everyone else out of their tents at 7am if the hiss of a Coleman stove generator (surprisingly loud on a still dewy morning) doesn't quite do the job.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
I understand that a pan can boil water BUT a kettle can't do anything else. It's always there, for that brew.

My point is that you may have pans cacked-up with egg and Cassoulet first thing in the morning, when you really need a brew, before facing the washing up.

I have a Trangia kettle, it fits inside the Trangia pans (and the burner fits inside the kettle) so it's minimal hassle.

No matter what state my pans are in it's always available...just for a brew.
Damn. That's a perfect justification for buying one.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2013, 09:58:16 am »
Most of them also whistle, which gets everyone else out of their tents at 7am if the hiss of a Coleman stove generator (surprisingly loud on a still dewy morning) doesn't quite do the job.

I think the roar of my Primus Multifuel is louder than many kettle whistles :-[
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2013, 10:36:56 am »
I wish my home kettle had a whistle!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 15 September, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »
When Jane and I went to Pembs a couple of weeks ago she offered to do the cooking on her Trangia because my paraffin stove gives her the heebie-jeebies. I therefore put my 1-litre John Lewis stainless flask in the Bike Buddy (where the paraffin bottle would normally go) and we made tea in that. It enabled us to take tea to the beach without the kettle, which lasted most of the day.

I'm inclined to take a vacuum flask camping every time now, as long as I have the space.

Having seen a Trangia in action, it's good, but blimey isn't the meths expensive? The cost of the meths we burned in a week would have paid for more than 2 years' worth of paraffin. In fact, >£6 worth of meths only lasted 5 days - and we ate in the pub on 3 nights - and on the last night/morning I boiled the water on a tiny gas stove I'd taken.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 15 September, 2013, 09:43:51 pm »
Kettle for cycle camping?  How quaint.

Get with the programme..

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 15 September, 2013, 09:48:14 pm »
Having seen a Trangia in action, it's good, but blimey isn't the meths expensive?

Depends how you buy it.  500ml bottles from hardware shops tend to be ludicrously overpriced, better deals can be had online for larger quantities.

(Laboratory grade methanol can be competitive price wise, and doesn't taste of bittrex, but doesn't burn as hot as ethanol[1].)

Although, tbh, cost of stove fuel is something that I don't really get hung up about, given how even expensive little gas cartridges last for ages, and are dwarfed by the cost of things like train tickets and camp site fees.  The advantage of the trangia is that it Just Works, even when cold and/or windy, is stirring friendly and is relatively unlikely to set fire to your tent.  Other stoves have other merits, and you can buy an awful lot of meths for the price of the multifuel burner.

[1] 'meths' being mostly ethanol, with a little methanol added to make it undrinktaxable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 15 September, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
An admittedly very quick google shows 5 litres for £16. That's about 3 times the price of paraffin but not a lot more than white spirit, which my stove can burn as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #33 on: 16 September, 2013, 07:15:06 am »
I'm with Kim, I love our Trangia and I really enjoyed using it over the weekend. Meths is expensive but other aspects of cycling cost much more so its fairly inconsequential to my mind.

I really enjoyed using our Trangia kettle too. It is a thing of much cuteness!

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #34 on: 16 September, 2013, 07:25:37 am »
I do like my little trangia kettle, but prefer my (very) old MSR multifuel stove.  (When there's no campfire, that is).
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #35 on: 16 September, 2013, 07:58:05 am »
I buy meths for £15 for 5 litres from my local truly independent hardware store.   What I like about meths or similar flamable liquids that a trangia burner can use is that they tend to be more available than bespoke gas cannisters when you're bimblimg around more remote areas on tour   

I am impressed by my gas burner gizmo for my trangia but the cannisters are bulky and not reuseable.   I can buy meths and refill my bottles as and when required, something that gas doesn't facilitate.   Also, given how many filling stations that there are, isn't it a pain that you can't actually buy a litre or less of the stuff.

Your average b@q/wilko half litre price of around £3.50 for meths is frankly high street robbery imo, but, if you purvey, you say as they wibble in retail.   :-\