Author Topic: They shall grow not old - the Peter Jackson WWI thing  (Read 1905 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
They shall grow not old - the Peter Jackson WWI thing
« on: 12 November, 2018, 02:27:41 pm »
Has this already been discussed?

I didn't mean to watch it, but was stuck in with the family. It was brilliant. Very moving.

( Not sure that the colorization of the footage added anything, but I guess it gave a different perspective, little harm done. )

(And I was quite moved by the "remembrance" subltle message in Dr Who, also shown on Armistice Day. Clever and not too in your face  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: They shall grow not old - the Peter Jackson WWI thing
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2018, 02:32:16 pm »
Although it was titled "They shall not grow old" I believe.  Doesn't alter the content though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:03:21 pm »
Although it was titled "They shall not grow old" I believe.  Doesn't alter the content though.

Yes, why does Jackson misquote the line?

(Trivia fans, Horley War Memorial also has the line as "They Shall Not Grow Old")
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:58:06 pm »
I really enjoyed it and I thought that they did a great job with the restoration of the film.  Apparently they had to add extra frames to get it to the correct speed of 24fps.  The original film varied between 10 and 18fps they said.  (Although if I had been hand-cranking a camera with the Germans shooting at me I think it would have been a fair bit faster than that).  I thought he use of lip readers to give a voice to the men on the film was a brilliant idea.  Although the colour did help give it a bit more realism sometimes their faces seemed slightly odd looking which I guess is a s a result of the processing they had to do to the film.

It also brought back memories of my grandad telling us stories each Christmas.  In the film they described exactly what he had told us about getting issued with the uniforms when they signed on - basically they were each issued with the uniform in a random size and then you all went outside and swapped until you got something that fitted.

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
Thanks, going to try to watch this tonight.

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2018, 06:43:20 pm »
I cannot place the article, so it is from memory.

I read somewhere that there is a generation (perhaps more than one) who are unfamiliar and confused by Sepia and Black and White images.

They see them to be old, historical and something apart.

By making these images colour, they give them a new lease, bring them up to date and make everything more "current" and real for this generation.

If that is the case then it is more than worth while

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2018, 12:52:33 pm »
Watched this again last night and realised I had missed some detail the first time - stays with you long afterwards.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »

Yes, why does Jackson misquote the line?

(Trivia fans, Horley War Memorial also has the line as "They Shall Not Grow Old")

So as not to puzzle the punters with unfamiliar syntax. Or maybe because he read it too fast or didn't remember it properly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:10:42 pm »
If you liked the programme I really can't recommend this book enough;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031Y9D4Q/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Get it from your library. The TV programme was good but really surface depth only.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:19:17 pm »
Anyone interested in visiting sites should get hold of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Before-Endeavours-Fade-Rose-Coombs/dp/1870067622
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:23:54 pm »
Interesting letter in the Obsever today saying that there was on3 glaring omission from the credits, that being the names of the original “kinematographers” whose work was used for the production.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)