Author Topic: QCell Domestic Battery Storage  (Read 326 times)

QCell Domestic Battery Storage
« on: 13 April, 2024, 10:40:38 am »
Considering this system and had the sales patter.  Would like to find actual users who have some experience of living with the system.

The suggestion from the sales guy is to charge the battery on Economy 7 overnight to provide the bulk of usage during the day.  Seems particularly useful, as I'm only at the premises for a couple of days in the week.

Believe this could be upgraded later with a third battery as opposed to the two units proposed, and could be adapted for solar PV input if that were deemed sensible.

Anyone have any experience with this system, manufactured by Samsung (South Korea).  It not being Chinese seems a plus point!

Re: QCell Domestic battery Storage
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2024, 01:42:15 pm »
Must admit to never having heard of them and I have been casually browsing the home storage market. 

I am currently favouring GivEnergy though I have also been contemplating Sunamp and Pylontech.

I'm going to take myself along to one of the Everything Electric weekends run by Fully Charged at some point to better inform myself.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2024, 01:46:49 pm »
I think Economy 7 is on the way out, so it would just be an inefficient way to use mains electricity unless you added PV/wind.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2024, 01:50:26 pm »
I think Economy 7 is on the way out

But something like Octopus Agile would be the spiritual successor, and we're going to get more of those.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:50:52 pm »

But something like Octopus Agile would be the spiritual successor, and we're going to get more of those.

Yes, the sales guy mentioned Octopus, but also another supplier, who does not insist on the ownership of an electric vehicle to make one eligible for the tariff, just any battery storage option.  Makes some sense when the suppliers are looking to increase flexibility around demand.  What was mentioned was charging battery at, say, 8p and having the storage available, if surplus to my requirements, for potential sale back at peak times at 14p or 15p.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: QCell Domestic Battery Storage
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2024, 03:02:26 pm »

Yes, the sales guy mentioned Octopus, but also another supplier, who does not insist on the ownership of an electric vehicle to make one eligible for the tariff, just any battery storage option.  Makes some sense when the suppliers are looking to increase flexibility around demand.  What was mentioned was charging battery at, say, 8p and having the storage available, if surplus to my requirements, for potential sale back at peak times at 14p or 15p.

You can do exactly that with Octopus Flux. There's a cheap import rate from 0200-0500, a 'standard rate' until 1600 and then an expensive rate between 1600-1900. Similarly with export though the corresponding rates are lower.
Also, I don't think you need an EV to be on the Agile tariff, but there are other EV specific flexible tariffs from Octopus.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2024, 06:22:36 pm »
Yes, the supplier that's been recommended (can't remember the name now) doesn't require either an EV or solar panels.

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2024, 06:50:39 pm »
The ancient switching method for economy 7 is being turned off but modern multi rate meters mean that you can in fact have upto 4 different charging rates logged on the meter.  We have one of these meters and get cheap rate electricity overnight.

Economy 7 lives ...

...  for now !

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2024, 06:52:17 pm »
Yes. At least I already have a smart meter, so hopefully I can embrace the new world order...