Author Topic: Garmin 520 not recording elevation  (Read 2982 times)

Garmin 520 not recording elevation
« on: 24 October, 2018, 07:27:35 pm »
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if so what was the fix?

My 520 is around 7mths old, I know the usual issue around the accuracy of what is recorded but on my last two rides on a 50km training circuit I use regularly the device has stopped recording.The route has just over 1000m of climbing as recorded by my Garmin on many occasions

Day 1 - weather was a drizzly and low cloud, about half way round the circuit the device stopped recording at 404m of climbing and nothing else was added after the half way point ( I put it down to the weather)

Day 2 same route - weather cloudy (not low cloud) but dry, about 2/3rds of the way round the device stopped recording at 668m and nothing else was added.

All other data displayed as expected.

The elevation correction on Garmin Connect adjusted elevation gain to expected figure.

So what's the issue then??

Samuel D

Re: Garmin 520 not recording elevation
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2018, 07:39:55 am »
The barometric altimeter works by detecting minuscule differences in air pressure. There is a tiny hole to allow air to flow into and out of the device’s casing. If that vent is blocked by a water droplet or anything else (dirt, etc.), the air cannot flow until the pressure differential drives air past a seal elsewhere or pops the meniscus blocking the vent. Until that happens, the barometer measures essentially no change in altitude.

The barometer of my Edge 520 is useless in the rain for this reason.

Re: Garmin 520 not recording elevation
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2018, 07:13:57 pm »
Update on the problem

Out today on the same route, weather was cold but clear and there were no issues with the elevation recording.

So as Samuel indicates above it looks like a rain related issue.

My 520 is on an "out front" mount which is slightly tilted up the way so may look at re-positioning to see if that helps to resolve the issue.