Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857347 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1675 on: 23 September, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
Chief Prosecutor Jarvis Cocker made a good case at the Brits in 1996.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #1676 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »
UKBA.  Please correct your naturalisation guidance and the form.  "Seperate" is wrong. 

/nailsdownablackboard

« Reply #1677 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »
UKBA.  Please correct your naturalisation guidance and the form.  "Seperate" is wrong. 

/nailsdownablackboard
Perhaps the writer should be deported for lack of English.

« Reply #1678 on: 25 September, 2011, 06:10:45 pm »
Sorry if this one has already been done:-

Growing the business/economy.  They already exist, for goodness sake.  You can't get a packet of economy from Thompson & Morgan.  "Expanding" used to work fine - as a word, that is.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1679 on: 25 September, 2011, 08:14:26 pm »
Not grammar, but some amusing typos in the first paragraph of this spam I received.

Date: 25-9-2011

Dear Friend,

My Name is Mr. Luiz Fernando, I am from Portugal, but born and breath up in Russia, I have been
diagnosed with cancer. It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right now I have only about
a few months to live, according to medical experts. I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never
really cared for anyone (not even myself) but my business.

Though I was very rich, I was never generous, I was always hostile to people and only focused on my
business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more
to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world. I believe when God gives me a
second chance to come to this world I would live my life a different way from how I have lived it.

I Would want to have a Personal and Trusthworthy Relationship with you, as I intend and willing to
empower the change of ownership for the transfer of the sum of (USD 11,200,680.00) to your Account
or personal possession for further Investment and Charity Disbursement to the Less Priveledge, Haiti
Earthquake Victims, Homeless People, therefore, I appeal to you to write me via my mail
address: luizFernado@w.cn

N/B:Kindly note that 40% of this funds must go to victims of Haiti Earthquake , 55% to other Charity
Organizations around the World and 5% for your effort and time.

God be with you.

Mr. Luiz Fernando.
Defiled medical treatment, in the context I think that's quite nice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1680 on: 25 September, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »
poor grammar or signwriter's error?  You choose. Nice bit of Sharpie action though.

I have a similar one referring to life jackets.  Jackson Civil Engineering, I'm looking at you.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1681 on: 26 September, 2011, 10:51:03 pm »
Working my way up to inferior.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1682 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:07:11 am »
Dont give that to you're English teacher!
Getting there...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1683 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
And I thought the Americans didn't do irony.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1684 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:51:11 am »
The ellipsis, like the apostrophe, is used to indicate an omission.  Increasingly, it seems to be used as a way to indicate the end of a humorous statement. People used to use exclamation marks for this purpose, until F Scott Fitzgerald made them too self-conscious about it.

I admit that I have to fight the urge to use ellipses myself but they are becoming a plague on our nation's prose. We must fight this pernicious threat.

Continue to use ellipses by all means, but use them wisely and sparingly.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1685 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:07:38 am »
The ellipsis, like the apostrophe, is used to indicate an omission ...

... and also a pause, an unfinished sentence, an incomplete list, a trailing off, an aposiopesis, ...

citoyen

« Reply #1686 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
pause … unfinished … incomplete … trailing off … aposiopesis

I'm using "omission" to encompass all of the above. The point is that it's not shorthand for "please laugh here".

d.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1687 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:39:14 am »
I've noticed this usage of ellipsis too. The two main offenders have been writers in newsletters I have received... The same thing in every issue ... No punctuation to end a sentence ... No paragraphs either ...

I guess it's one of those attempts to write-how-they-speak, but for some reason it only irks me. And never gets a laugh.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1688 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
I do it a lot in my 'prose'... It's lazy... Demonstrates I'm not taking it seriously, but without the forced jollity of exclamation marks! Smileys :) or whatever :D
Doesn't it depend on context? Surely it's ok on message boards... or personal emails, but not on much else?...

border-rider

« Reply #1689 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:53:11 am »
I never use it in (work) written stuff.  I tend to here (probably over-use it), but in the aposiopesis sense, with the idea of presenting an idea and leaving the reader to make the connection.

It'd never occurred to me that it could be used in the same way as an exclamation mark.

citoyen

« Reply #1690 on: 27 September, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »
Doesn't it depend on context? Surely it's ok on message boards... or personal emails, but not on much else?...

Of course. But I'm increasingly seeing it used incorrectly in contexts where it might be said to matter.

It'd never occurred to me that it could be used in the same way as an exclamation mark.

It's not used with precisely the same intent but the effect is broadly the same.

d.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1691 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »
poor grammar or signwriter's error?  You choose. Nice bit of Sharpie action though.

I have a similar one referring to life jackets.  Jackson Civil Engineering, I'm looking at you.

I have recently seen a YouTube video, the caption of which avers that "Trefor mist the timing tapes".  The personal responsible is Dutch, though, so he at least has a slight excuse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1692 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »
Just seen a notice in a local take-away, informing them that an energy company has "de-energised" their gas supply.  I know how it feels; man, I'm tired!

red marley

« Reply #1693 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »
Just seen a notice in a local take-away, informing them that an energy company has "de-energised" their gas supply.  I know how it feels; man, I'm tired!

Not grammar as such, but I always have a little titter inside my head when I hear someone who should know better use the word "enervate" to mean "energise".

« Reply #1694 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:15:52 pm »
People, especially irritating pedants who should know better, who think 'noone' is a word.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1695 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:20:28 pm »
It is the opposite of midknighte.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1696 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
Thankyou.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1697 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »
Your welcome

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1698 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:04:11 am »
Not grammar but irresistible spelling from the website of the Five Bells, Colne Engaine:

"The pub is delighted to sell an outstanding selection of Real Ales plus Adnams beers & spirits, Visor Belgium Beer and a wide selection of hand picked wines from around the globe to tantilise your pallet!"
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1699 on: 28 September, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »
People, especially irritating pedants who should know better, who think 'noone' is a word.

Is so.  He was the singer in Herman's Hermits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime