Author Topic: What was the first film you watched?  (Read 2621 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What was the first film you watched?
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:58:55 am »
Either Bambi or Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I can't remember which was first, but I do remember that B&B seemed magical to me, the way it was a mixture of real people with animated backgrounds and magical situations. Perhaps this is why I much later was so impressed by magic realism such as (principally) The Master and Margarita. Disney as preparation for Bulgakov!!!

FWIW, I think the Disney films made by Disney, as opposed to the later stuff (yes, I know B&B was later) is a lot darker than is popularly supposed. Bambi didn't leave much impression on me, though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
I made my kids watch Bednobs and Broomsticks when they were in their early teens. They thought it was brilliant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:58:41 pm »
The first one I remember was Chitty Chiity Bang Bang. We later went to see the car at a local dealer's showroom.

I remember Bedknobs and Broomsticks as one that we enjoyed. Must have seen the Jungle Book too.

« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2015, 01:04:42 pm »
"Thunderball", or "Dr Who and the Daleks". Soon after, the cinema became a Liptons supermarket.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2015, 02:37:54 pm »
Can't remember. I can, however, remember the first X/18 fillum I saw: "The Shining". I would have been 14 or 15 at the time.
Pen Pusher

hillbilly

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:25:50 pm »
Superman  8)

At least that's what I remember and what I want to believe. 

My mum told me that it was Pete's Dragon.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »
Ah the days of t'internet leave such things not such a mystery

It was the imaginatively titled

'The cat from outer space' I suspect - certainly looks right on IMDb
So good I saw it twice! (What actually happened: two groups of friends saw it at different times - so I went with both. remember there was nothing else to do back in them days, a film didnt need to be great to see twice!)

To this day, I dont think I've seen another film twice. I think I'm too tight now.

I'd love to claim
"Jungle Book"
because it was certainly _amongst_ the first, but was also a great film ... and a lot cooler than TCFOS :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:35:49 pm »
Jungle Book - 1977 ish
Then Star Wars 77/78, then Superman (II, I expect).
The last one I could probably date exactly because there was heavy snow on the way back - in Cornwall - which is rare.

« Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2015, 02:31:50 am »
Double bill of Gregory's Girl and Chariots of Fire when I was about 7.

The cinema closed about a fortnight later and turned into a snooker hall.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:51:23 am »
As a 5 yo I was taken to Carry on Screaming. It's memorable because I had to be taken out half way through as I was too frightened!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #35 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
Jungle Book. We (me and my motley bunch of cousins, my mother and her eleven siblings raised a small army, and figured they could get rid of us by sending us to Saturday matinees at the local cinema*) left at the intermission because we thought it was the end.

*Heanor, long since gone. Now a depressing block of flats. Pretty much all my childhood is depressing blocks of flats or dull housing estates.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:17:55 am »
Star Wars: A New Hope (remastered CGI dinosaur edition)

[moved to https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg1857597#msg1857597 as this is the wrong thread]

There was an awful lot of unadulterated Star Wars in my childhood though.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:20:44 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:58:50 am »
And I've just realised this is the *other* film thread.   :facepalm:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #39 on: 07 May, 2015, 12:28:25 pm »
Jungle Book. We (me and my motley bunch of cousins, my mother and her eleven siblings raised a small army, and figured they could get rid of us by sending us to Saturday matinees at the local cinema*) left at the intermission because we thought it was the end.

*Heanor, long since gone. Now a depressing block of flats. Pretty much all my childhood is depressing blocks of flats or dull housing estates.

Jungle Book is in my top 3 all time favourite films, and sometimes it's no1. My mum used to pack my brother and me off to the Saturday matinees too, at the ABC*, with 50p each for a ticket and 50p each for sweets. We saw some really bad films, but I did win a prize (an enormous bar of Fruit & Nut) for doing the best picture of the view from Captain Nemo's submarine.

*Now Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of Toothy Comestibles.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2015, 12:50:33 pm »
We used to use our money to buy a giant bag of broken biscuits from the market and smuggle those into the cinema (an Empire, if I recall). That would leave us enough spare change for Kia-Ora. I feel sorry for the usher, for whom I'm sure the descent of the Sutton clan fueled by large amounts of sugar and unmoderated e-numbers was a frightful experience.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #41 on: 07 May, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »
[Moved as per Kim's post]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #42 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »
Strangely enough, it is still 'Zulu'.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #43 on: 08 May, 2015, 08:10:55 pm »
Bambi for me too.

I don't remember it very well, though my mum tells me I cried when [spoiler redacted]. I have a much better memory of the first film my son saw, which was Toy Story 2. The beginning bit with Buzz in space scared him half to death.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

« Reply #44 on: 19 May, 2015, 08:00:23 am »
I think it was Grand Prix. My dad took me to see it at a Leicester Square cinema. I remember it had a race car in the foyer and we had a spaghetti bolognese for tea. I was 4.

If it wasn't that one (but I'm pretty sure it was) then it was Song Of The South. We went as a family and I cried because I found the tar baby scene scarey and I didn't want Br'er Rabbit to be killed.

In fact, things like the tar baby (puppets, dolls, masks - any human-like caricature that is inanimate) still freak me a bit. Ventriloquist dolls ditto; the Anthony Hopkins film 'Magic' scares the crap out of me.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:48:24 am »
"The Young Ones" with the incomparable Cliff Richard. This could explain the fact that I doubt that my lifelong cinema attendance has probably not exceeded an average of one attendance every four years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #46 on: 19 May, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »
Bits of, "The Magnificent Seven".

Terendak camp cinema (probably Kinema, the army's odd that way).  Poor old dad didn't see much of it either.  Hint; don't take a 4 year old to the pictures.

The first film I can remember watching from beginning to end was Bedknobs & Broomsticks at a picture house on the Lothian road in Edinburgh.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #47 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »
"The Young Ones" with the incomparable Cliff Richard. This could explain the fact that I doubt that my lifelong cinema attendance has probably not exceeded an average of one attendance every four years.
Ditto.
At least it's the first one I can remember seeing cos we were on hol in Woolacombe at the time.
There's no vibrations, but wait.