Author Topic: Making a tyre boot  (Read 14236 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Making a tyre boot
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2009, 03:45:14 pm »
Just use decent tyres that are not worn out and you'll not need tyre boots at all. (I have carried a Park one and a piece of tyre of thousands on likometres and used it only once).

A top-quality lightweight tyre can get ripped on its first outing if you're unlucky enough.  That happened to one of mine, and a Park Tyre Boot saved the day with minimal fuss.  The self-adhesive makes it really quick & easy to fit.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2009, 03:51:16 pm »
I hit a large flint, and it cut the sidewall, hence my need for a boot. Tire wasn't that worn.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »
Whilst on the way to NearGruB I burst a tyre on a sharp stone. It was only about 4 months old. I managed to use some inner tube patches to get me to GruBLand and the GruBLBS! It was touch and go though, the patches were wearing through.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »
+1 to Park tyre boots.  They are a fine temporary fix.

Be advised that a Park Tyre Boot is not a permanent fix.  After a month or two, it will go all hard and wrinkly and cause your tyre to explode in an unseemly manner.

Do not ask me how I know this.

Surely you wouldn't want to keep a tyre that needed a tyre boot?  Mine policy is to take it off and chuck it as soon as I can replace it with a new tyre.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2009, 04:54:57 pm »
Dunno why.  I see a lot of motorists driving around with spacesaver spares (even on the motorway) - should work much the same, no?
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »
A bicycle tyre is safe to use for the rest of its natural life when booted with something as strong and durable as a piece of tyre casing.  No need to chuck if confident that you've done a good job.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:07:36 pm »
If a tyre's been damaged enough to need a boot, I'd replace it when I got home.  But then, as I said, I'm probably over-cautious...
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:14:08 pm »
Nothing wrong with being over-cautious - if you can afford to be :)

I don't think booting is being under-cautious though, if you do it properly.

« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:29:56 pm »
If a tyre's been damaged enough to need a boot, I'd replace it when I got home.  But then, as I said, I'm probably over-cautious...

When you consider how often I get to 45mph on downhills, I wouldn't consider that at all over-cautious.

« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:46:11 pm »
When I went to the LBS to buy the park boot their advice was to go home and wrap some gaffer tape round my pump - apparently it's just as effective. Thankfully I've yet to have cause to try it out. Anyone tried this?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #35 on: 06 March, 2009, 05:53:36 pm »
It is over-cautious to think material designed for withstanding high pressure won't withstand high pressure.  That is all the boot has to do.  I have ridden a booted tyre at 40 mph with no worry at all.  No more worry than usual, I mean!  (That would be 45 mph too if I ever did 45 mph at all these days).

Not that there's anything terrible about being over-cautious.

« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2009, 06:39:16 pm »
US currency works, but the one time I tried it I only had a couple of $20 bills so I pulled them out when I got home. It made for a good story to the shopkeeper when I spent them.

I used lots of duct tape to patch a massive slice in a brand new tire on the first day of my Scotland tour(cycling from LHR to Euston station to get a train to Edinburgh) and forgot the boot was there until I hit 50 mph on a long descent  :o.

Chris N

« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »
I keep a piece of Tyvek envelope in my puncture kit as it was free and works well.  A crisp packet would probably be fine too.  You just need to make sure that the boot is big enough to be held against the wall of the tyre by the tube.  UK notes won't work for long as they're made of paper - you need cloth or plastic notes.

I used a tyre with a duct tape patch for a year, though it was only over a small hole.

« Reply #38 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:11:05 pm »
I don't carry bits of tyre for this purpose.  That's an emergency thang.

A piece of this in your toolkit is lighter and way more effective:

J,
If it doesn't work and I don't need mine, you can have one of them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #39 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »
A piece of Embassy fag packet only lasts three miles.  Been there, done that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #40 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »
A piece of Embassy fag packet only lasts three miles.  Been there, done that.

M&M packets last a little bit longer and they taste better than Embassy  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #41 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:51:09 pm »
M&M's are a bugger to light though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:54:08 pm »
A tyre boot wouldn't have got me round Cambridge-York-Cambridge after I'd worn the rear tyre down to canvas round the entire circumference after about 230km.

Probably useful to have as a back-up to full replacement tyre though.

« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »
A tyre boot wouldn't have got me round Cambridge-York-Cambridge after I'd worn the rear tyre down to canvas round the entire circumference after about 230km.

How did you manage to do that?  If it wasn't a mechanical, that implies you didn't check your bike over?

simonp

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2009, 09:59:30 pm »

How did you manage to do that?  If it wasn't a mechanical, that implies you didn't check your bike over?

I don't recall checking the tread at the start, but then I tend to check things when I decide to perform maintenance rather than at the start of a ride when if something serious is wrong, it's too late to do anything about it.

« Reply #45 on: 06 March, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »
Just use decent tyres that are not worn out and you'll not need tyre boots at all. (I have carried a Park one and a piece of tyre of thousands on likometres and used it only once).
I've had a sidewall ripped by a large, sharp flint while cornering on a night ride. No chance to avoid it. New or old wouldn't make any difference to that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 07 March, 2009, 12:19:02 am »
I've had a sidewall ripped by a large, sharp flint while cornering on a night ride. No chance to avoid it. New or old wouldn't make any difference to that.

I think that tyre would have had perhaps 2000-3000 miles on it at most, and I was doing a 400 mile ride.  I can't detect a tyre being within 400 miles of needing replacement.  And that's a significant fraction of its useful life.

« Reply #47 on: 07 March, 2009, 12:56:18 am »
Has anyone mentioned tothpaste tube yet?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #48 on: 07 March, 2009, 12:51:54 pm »
After this morning's ride, I can tell you that an energy gel sachet lasts about a mile and half. After the first blowout, we noticed another bubble of inner tube so he had two boots in there. That tyre should have been binned months ago!

Why do people ride ultra-expensive carbon race bikes in winter, subject them to a shocking lack of maintenance and won't spend £15 on a tyre when the old one is clearly falling apart?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #49 on: 08 March, 2009, 02:37:58 pm »
The good news is that my tyre boot wasn't needed yesterday.  :thumbsup:

Which was one of the reasons for having it!
It is simpler than it looks.