Author Topic: Cycling distance equivalent to running a marathon?  (Read 31617 times)

Re: Cycling distance equivalent to running a marathon?
« Reply #100 on: 12 May, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »
Cos cycling slowly is so easy, we tend to ride less hard than we could (especially on long rides

What is cycling slowly ?  I am 63 and like to think myself not to unfit. I average 12mph on my new recumbent trike (although not new to bents) over my 8 mile each way commute with loaded pannier, slightly undulating route.
         I recognise that a mid 20's person who is in training would p**s all over me but at the same time without trying to I seem to pass the majority of cyclists .
         My return is after an 11 hr shift by the way, so would that be slow ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 12 May, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
Cos cycling slowly is so easy, we tend to ride less hard than we could (especially on long rides

What is cycling slowly ?  I am 63 and like to think myself not to unfit. I average 12mph on my new recumbent trike (although not new to bents) over my 8 mile each way commute with loaded pannier, slightly undulating route.
         I recognise that a mid 20's person who is in training would p**s all over me but at the same time without trying to I seem to pass the majority of cyclists .
         My return is after an 11 hr shift by the way, so would that be slow ?
I would say it's slower than Lance, but faster than the majority of cyclists you meet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 12 May, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
 Gethin Butler is a rather special athlete.  I'd hazard a guess that very few, if any TdeF cyclists could run a marathon in 2hrs 30m.  That doesn't detract from their phenomenal abilities as cyclists, it just doesn't often transfer.

How do you know that? I suspect we just don't have much data on athletes that have bothered trying.

Unless someone has data-and-or-science that proves different :)

I think the fact is that no-one KNOWS anything about such comparisons.  However, I do know that my best time (and I was a fun-runner, practically) for a marathon is the same as Lance Armstrong's and at the same age.  He'd have finished a tour stage while I was still getting the syringe out of my arm in the hotel.

« Reply #103 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:20:42 pm »
"I would say it's slower than Lance"

Hmmn, theres a thought, Lance on a recumbent trike  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #104 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
I'm pretty sure this story answers all the questions:

BBC News - London Marathon snail Lloyd Scott reaches halfway point

The former Blackpool, Watford and Leyton Orient player who fought off leukaemia more than 20 years ago, said the 26-day attempt had been tough on his knees.

He said he has also had to deal with muscle pain and cramp due to hauling himself face-down around the route in the 9ft costume for up to eight hours every day.

He added he was finding it nearly impossible to eat and drink en route because of lying on his stomach on a sled inside the costume.

Mr Scott, who raised more than £5m for charity by running marathons, took five days to complete the 2002 London Marathon in a deep sea diving suit.

He also cycled across Australia on a penny-farthing, and was awarded an MBE in 2005 for his charity work.

(He finished this morning, you'll be pleased to hear)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #105 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:16:41 am »
That photo is hilarious!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #106 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:12:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure this story answers all the questions:

BBC News - London Marathon snail Lloyd Scott reaches halfway point

The former Blackpool, Watford and Leyton Orient player who fought off leukaemia more than 20 years ago, said the 26-day attempt had been tough on his knees.

He said he has also had to deal with muscle pain and cramp due to hauling himself face-down around the route in the 9ft costume for up to eight hours every day.

He added he was finding it nearly impossible to eat and drink en route because of lying on his stomach on a sled inside the costume.

Mr Scott, who raised more than £5m for charity by running marathons, took five days to complete the 2002 London Marathon in a deep sea diving suit.

He also cycled across Australia on a penny-farthing, and was awarded an MBE in 2005 for his charity work.

(He finished this morning, you'll be pleased to hear)

Possibly not, Matt - I reckon there's room for a bike in that costume, don't you?!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:54:06 pm »
Clearly the next step is to stage a

Man vs Bike vs Snail

race.

[I can't think of a good pun title right now - maybe the One Foot at a Time Challenge  ? Do YACFers like puns? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #108 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:27:07 am »
after tough 600 (bcm) i can say that i'm nowhere near as sore as i was after running a marathon a month ago. knee pain "acquired" during marathon was still giving me problems on bcm.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #109 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:40:20 am »
After the 400 I did at the weekend, I felt like my knees had been whacked with a baseball bat. This may or may not be because I did it on fixed.

They seem to have recovered pretty quickly, though I did get a bit of a twinge while going uphill on the ride home last night.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #110 on: 18 May, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »
Having participated in marathons I can assure you all that they are very very hard work.   Cycling all day on the other hand isn't.  
Cycling at 24-hour time trial record-setting speed would be, I reckon...

"Just cycling" is more like walking than running. Judging by the people seen on Long Distance Walkers Association challenge events (25 miles to 100 miles, cross-country on footpaths and bridleways) I think most people could walk all day with a bit of practice - and desire.
Profit or planet?

« Reply #111 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:33:08 pm »
Zigzag - aren't you a significanty stronger cyclist than runner? Isn't that what it's about?

How Many Calories Do You Burn? - Weight Loss - Runner's World

Using those numbers, it looks like a 4hr marathon would give me similar numbers to those I got off Sporttracks for a 13.5hr 300k. However, I know that Physical Activity Energy Expenditure (It's an activity measure used in predicting obesity - I am sat in an MRC Epidemiology dept today, so have be talking to one of their researchers who runs marathons about this) weights intensity from HR when deriving energy expenditure from accelerometry, so I suspect to get a metric that can compare across disciplines, you'd want something that mixes energy expenditure with intensity, so you can compare across similarly trained people. The guy I was speaking to said that they didn't use any measures like that that, but they'd be easy to derive, albeit arbitrary. Simplistically, something like kcal + kcals burnt above lactate threshold (so those above lt count twice) is what I am thinking of.

Still, I can't imagine many people are equally trained /suited for multiple activities, so not sure what use it'd be.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #112 on: 19 May, 2011, 11:34:30 am »
Zigzag - aren't you a significanty stronger cyclist than runner? Isn't that what it's about?

i could say that, but that's the case with most users on this forum. i think in triathlete (ironman) forum the opinion would be more balanced as they train for both running and cycling. my relevant cycling/running ability is similar to a big part of forumers here as most of us are stronger cyclists than runners - otherwise this place would be called yarf ;D.
i used to run a bit ten years ago while at uni, 4km in the mornings 3-5 times a week - for exercise. then half marathon two years ago and couple of london marathons after that.