Author Topic: Touring gears - lowest inch's  (Read 8870 times)

Re: Touring gears - lowest inch's
« Reply #75 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:48:48 pm »
Just had a look - seems it can be used with a Rohloff, am getting my mind around that combination.....

As forumers might advise, cold shower time? :P

Frere

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #76 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:50:32 pm »
Following the last post (phone doesn't do quotes) - is this becomming a gear limbo competition?

I've currently got an 18.7" gear on my bike, and I've got more use out of it than I expected so far. I'm glad I didn't try this with the bigger chanrings.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #77 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:58:18 pm »
Just had a look - seems it can be used with a Rohloff, am getting my mind around that combination.....

Frere
The clutch on the new versions is fixed-friendly too .... S3X + mountain drive? ;D

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #78 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
I've got 18 at the front and 32 at the back on a 26" wheel, so that's about 14 and a half inches, but it is on this.

« Reply #79 on: 22 October, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
I'm seriously considering a range of 12.3" to 133.3 on my new bike.

My excuse is that I can't get off and push up any hills, because I'd need both hands for the crutches, and wouldn't have one free to push the bike with.

I still need to find out if I can actually balance at 1.5mph uphill on a 'bent bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 22 October, 2011, 08:13:26 am »

Paging Tigerbiten.  Tigerbiten to the ridiculously low-geared courtesy phone please...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #81 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:25:02 am »
I'm currently debating whether or not to email Florian Schlumpf and ask him if the Mountain Drive is Pugsley-friendly - I suspect not, since the Pug has a 100mm BB shell, but the only harm in asking is potentially to my bank balance ;)

The current prize for Most Utterly Ridiculous Low Gear probably goes to a fellow of my acquaintance who has (or had, not seen him in ages) a Greenspeed trike fitted with, amongst other things, an SRAM 3x7 and a Mountain Drive. His lowest gear, with the MD engaged, was 7" ...

« Reply #82 on: 22 October, 2011, 05:10:48 pm »
7" is awesome, that should get a trike up 45% inclines?

Frere

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #83 on: 22 October, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »
I've got 18 at the front and 32 at the back on a 26" wheel, so that's about 14 and a half inches, but it is on this.
That's an impressive rig! I thought at first glance it was tandem + tagalong + trailer, rather than triplet + trailer, but either way it's heavy haulage of the cycle world. And it looks so gloriously happy.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #84 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:38:01 pm »
at first glance it was tandem + tagalong + trailer, rather than triplet + trailer

Tried that when sprog number two came along. It's not to be recommended as the trailer tries to overtake the bike when going down hill. The only way out is to accelerate!

Jobro

• Trice TNT
« Reply #85 on: 23 October, 2011, 11:31:49 am »
CamPhil, I think you are being a bit pessimistic to think you will be climbing at 1.5 mph! A brief seance with my calculator shows 12" gear produces 3.5 mph at 100rpm - a result the more convincing 'cos thats what I see in practice. I get Steep hill: 4mph, Very Steep hill: 3.5 mph, Very Steep long hill 3.5 mph with frequent stops for gasping....

« Reply #86 on: 23 October, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »
I had this thread in mind last weekend when I was in a hilly place with my Rohloff lowest gear 17".   I was spinning doing about 5.5Km/hr in the lowest gear, I rarely honk.   I get off & walk if my speed drops to 5 Km/hr and looks like staying there.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #87 on: 23 October, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »
I'm waiting for someone to say they've got a reverse gear.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #88 on: 23 October, 2011, 01:01:16 pm »
According to  http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm, on a 33% gradient (the steepest you'll ever see on-road, you would need to output about 400watts to got 3mph. It drops to 320W for a 25% slope.

For ordinary mortals like me, that's anaerobic sprinting output. So regardless of the gear, you are going to struggle to keep up 3mph up a really really steep hill. Zig-zagging to reduce the effective gradient can help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #89 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »
CamPhil, I think you are being a bit pessimistic to think you will be climbing at 1.5 mph! A brief seance with my calculator shows 12" gear produces 3.5 mph at 100rpm - a result the more convincing 'cos thats what I see in practice. I get Steep hill: 4mph, Very Steep hill: 3.5 mph, Very Steep long hill 3.5 mph with frequent stops for gasping....

That 1.5mph is with 155mm cranks, and based on cadence falling to 40rpm.
Obviously, if I can keep up >60rpm, I will, but power output may be the limiting factor, as noted by mrcharly.

Both the bike (Barcchetta Cafe, needing modification for me) and the dual-drive are on order, so we'll see.

« Reply #90 on: 24 October, 2011, 09:56:53 pm »
I'm waiting for someone to say they've got a reverse gear.
;D

« Reply #91 on: 24 October, 2011, 10:59:03 pm »
That'd be everyone riding fixed, surely?  ;D

« Reply #92 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:58:43 am »
The gear range on the new Trike goes from ~10" to ~130".

I was thinking of useing a Mountain Drive on the new trike but ended up useing the the High Speed Drive at it made the build a lot easier to get that range useing standard parts.
The bottom 3 gears are really below the Rolhoff min spec of 14", so I try not to use them ..........  ;D