Author Topic: 10 speed touring bikes  (Read 14272 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 10 speed touring bikes
« Reply #75 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:05:28 pm »
My TRS30 Moulton comes stock with drop bars, Campag levers and mechs and Stronglight triple crank (58/48/34). Running a wide range cassette (stock is 11-25) would cause problems, though 11-27 is fine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #76 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
Shimano 9 speed MTB rear mechs work perfectly well with Shimano road STI 10 speed levers.  I have Ultegra 6703 10 speed sti levers, Ultegra 6703 10 speed front mech, Shimano XT M771 9 speed rear mech with SRAM 12-32 10 speed cassette and Stronglight Impact triple with 48/36/24 rings.  All this on my tourer/audax bike.  Works a treat.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #77 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »
The question is about *new* kit, not mixing with old kit.

I'm trying to get a list of what new kit could be combined to give touring-low gears on new 10spd kit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #78 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:55:52 pm »
Is this not where Deore LX is now, then? Low tooth count chainrings (relatively speaking), higher large rear cog (32/34/36) and oh-oh flat bar shifters, but aren't the mechs are made to work with the pull of drop bar shifters.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #79 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:29:03 pm »
aren't the mechs are made to work with the pull of drop bar shifters.

Not in all cases.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #80 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »

Fair enough and good to investigate new kit, but you may well find it easier with some new old stock*, so I think you'd be wise to keep all options open.

* Not ancient, just year or two old will help in some cases.  Hopefully other forumers will help you with the details.

« Reply #81 on: 18 February, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

I'm trying to get a list of what new kit could be combined to give touring-low gears on new 10spd kit.

In short, for Shimano, what I found was that there is no bar end or STI shifter that will correctly index a Dynasys rear mech across a Dynasys cassette (i.e. new Shimano MTB 10 speed). There are differences in both cable pull required for the mech and cog spacing, as compared with road kit. 

tiermat

« Reply #82 on: 18 February, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »
Having done a bit of reading and research I think that Shimano are going in the right direction, but slowly.

Example one:

2013 Sora (3500) is now available in "Super compact" 46/34 double.  It's STIs will operate Vs, mini-V, canti, roller brakes and calipers, thanks to a mode converter shim.

Meanwhile Tourney (A070), though still only 6/7 speed has gained STIs, so potentially scope to mix and match, even if the Tourney STIs are pig ugly!

Oh and 6700 gains a wider range, the 6700-A RD can now do up to 30 teeth (before the max was 28), again a faint glimmer of hope!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #83 on: 18 February, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
What?!? Are you saying we can buy brand-new 6 SPEED STIs ?!?

Blimey.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

« Reply #84 on: 18 February, 2013, 05:30:40 pm »
What?!? Are you saying we can buy brand-new 6 SPEED STIs ?!?

Blimey.

That's progress for you :)

Or Shimano's gateway drug....

« Reply #85 on: 18 February, 2013, 06:06:53 pm »
Oh and 6700 gains a wider range, the 6700-A RD can now do up to 30 teeth (before the max was 28), again a faint glimmer of hope!
That's the Ultegra one right? For reference the same goes for new Tiagra and 105. I've had bikes with each, both fitted with 12-30 cassettes.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #86 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »
This could be an interesting groupset for tourers - 8-speed, doubles and triples (but Shimano's silly 50/39/30 setup rather than anything silly low).  Up to 32 tooth on the cassette. And flat bar or drop bar shifters.

Looks quite nice as well.   

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-claris-groupset-first-look-36427/

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #87 on: 28 February, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
This could be an interesting groupset for tourers - 8-speed, doubles and triples (but Shimano's silly 50/39/30 setup rather than anything silly low).  Up to 32 tooth on the cassette. And flat bar or drop bar shifters.

Looks quite nice as well.   

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-claris-groupset-first-look-36427/

That's the one I want!! :D Never did see the point of 10v, don't even like the idea of 9v. At long last a replacement for my 600 levers when they wear out!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #88 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:10:46 pm »
Bloody awful name for a group set though "yeah, my bike has a Claris drivetrain"

Poor old 105 is now the only road group set with numbers now (yes, I know it is technically things like Ultegra 6700). Maybe they'll rename 105 something rubbish along the same lines as Claris.

But a great looking group set that should see applications for many people.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #89 on: 01 March, 2013, 09:30:05 am »
Maybe they'll rename 105 something rubbish along the same lines as Claris.

Hannibal?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #90 on: 01 March, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »
Perhaps Shimano are entering the music biz?

http://www.jpopasia.com/group/claris/

Probably not quite the image you wanted for your touring bike.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 01 March, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »
Yeah, next they'll be renaming 600 something crappy that sounds like a third rate service company.  Oh, I dunno...Ultegra or something.
Getting there...

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #92 on: 01 March, 2013, 02:38:42 pm »
I gather all the 10 speed sram mtb/road stuff is interchangeable - the wife has tourist gears using apex shifters & rear mech (11-32) plus an MTB double (26/40) using a shimano crankset and sram x5 mtb mech. Personally, I'll just stick with bar end levers and give up indexing if needs be.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

tiermat

« Reply #93 on: 01 March, 2013, 02:44:53 pm »
I gather all the 10 speed sram mtb/road stuff is interchangeable - the wife has tourist gears using apex shifters & rear mech (11-32) plus an MTB double (26/40) using a shimano crankset and sram x5 mtb mech. Personally, I'll just stick with bar end levers and give up indexing if needs be.

<Thinks> I wonder, then, if the front mechs are compatible with STIs, AIUI some SRAM and Shimano are interchangeable.  If so it could solve a niggling issue I have on the inbred...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #94 on: 01 March, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »
"Claris"?  As if Campag fans need any more ammunition to take this piss out of $himaNO!  ;)

Perhaps Shimano are entering the music biz?

http://www.jpopasia.com/group/claris/

Probably not quite the image you wanted for your touring bike.  :D

Jimmy Savile would have wanted it.