Author Topic: Going Touring  (Read 13559 times)

Re: Going Touring
« Reply #50 on: 26 February, 2016, 07:26:40 pm »
Matches!

I have various stuffs in with my Trangia - a small bottle of detergent, half a pan wipe, matches, sachets of salt, pepper, tea bags etc.
Also the collapsible coffee filter - I'm not roughing it!

A few years ago Mrs S bought me a small stovetop coffee maker with a pair of little ton cups and integrated cup stand.  Together with the Porlex it's indispensable.

« Reply #51 on: 26 February, 2016, 07:34:26 pm »
Have mental pictures of behemoth traversing Normandy roads crushing tarmac as it goes.  ::-) Oh, and something to sit on be it tarp or seat.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #52 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
Have mental pictures of behemoth traversing Normandy roads crushing tarmac as it goes.  ::-) Oh, and something to sit on be it tarp or seat.

Beginning to think I should just bring the car . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #53 on: 26 February, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »
Divvun ferget a small container for collecting wayward Pingfuckits until you get somewhere you can identify them.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #54 on: 27 February, 2016, 08:52:35 am »

Beginning to think I should just bring the car . . .

We own an independent hostel and I was having a discussion recently about how the number of proper touring cyclists has fallen off dramatically over the last few years.  Yet, ironically, there's never been a better time for the unsupported tourist with modern bikes and lightweight gear.  But most folk these days have a support vehicle of some sort or just bring their own car and do day rides.

I belonged to a touring club for many years and there was a constant competitive element - who could get away with the smallest/lightest saddlebag etc.  And it was just a single saddlebag, no-one used panniers they were regarded as a bit cissy, the Carradice Overlander was very popular I seem to recall I think I still have mine somewhere.  The point I'm making is with a bit of thought you can get away with minimal luggage, certainly if you're in the uk where you're never that far from civilization.

If you're not camping all you really need above and beyond what you would take on a day ride  is a change of clothes/shoes and whatever toiletries you use. 

If you are camping turn to the hard core backpackers for advice on weight saving, I met this guy a couple of years ago who has it down to a fine art  http://ultralightbackpacker.com/

If I was cycle camping these days I would certainly consider just a tarp rather than a full blown tent you can save a lot of weight/space.  I know guys who use tarps successfully in the depths of winter

It's very important to be able to make a brew quickly and easily.  I meet a lot of backpackers and stove wise the Pocket Rocket is almost universal these days but there are many who choose to use liquid fuel simply because gas canisters are not always easy to obtain but you can generally find meths or surgical spirit.

One golden rule is you can't have too many "dry bags".  Also those little canisters you get 35mm film in are very useful for small items provided you remember to label them...

I would say don't over think it though.  I met a couple of guys from London last year who had simply bought two bikes got on a train to Inverness and set off cycling back home.  They didn't have a clue but were learning fast - and having a whale of a time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:32:36 am »
IMHO the whole point in cycle camping is that you don't have to make the weight/bulk compromises of a backpacker, while not getting bogged down with pointless clutter as you might in a car.  A bike's worth seems to be the optimal amount of stuff to take camping.

(That's not strictly true.  Some of us aren't physically able to do prolonged walking, but can ride a bike for days on end.)

« Reply #56 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:48:43 am »
There is some pleasure to be had from paring down the weight of the stuff we carry. For instance (for off-bike use), lightweight hiking trousers are amazingly low weight, dry quickly and some can be converted to shorts (2 garments in one). Two pairs of socks are plenty if you wash a pair (by hand) each day. Two pairs of undies, two off-bike shirts selected partly for low weight and quick drying properties. Absolutely no slow drying cotton. One pair of cycle shorts is fine if you wash them after each day's efforts and perfect the wringing out of moisture (roll up really small then kneel on the ball of lycra / pad on the floor. Personally I leave my Trangia stuff at home and take some lighter and more compact cooking stuff. The lightest trainers I could find for off-bike use (£30). A small camping towel made from a super absorbent and easily wrung out material, packs away very small. If you take that approach with everything you will be able to take what you need for comfort without ending up carrying too much weight.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #57 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:51:09 am »
I suspect 35mm film canisters are rather rare these days. A bit like the other repurposed container of yore: the tobacco tin.

« Reply #58 on: 27 February, 2016, 12:07:22 pm »
It is much more fun on the bike.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 27 February, 2016, 12:32:28 pm »
There is some pleasure to be had from paring down the weight of the stuff we carry. For instance (for off-bike use), lightweight hiking trousers are amazingly low weight, dry quickly and some can be converted to shorts (2 garments in one). Two pairs of socks are plenty if you wash a pair (by hand) each day. Two pairs of undies, two off-bike shirts selected partly for low weight and quick drying properties. Absolutely no slow drying cotton. One pair of cycle shorts is fine if you wash them after each day's efforts and perfect the wringing out of moisture (roll up really small then kneel on the ball of lycra / pad on the floor. Personally I leave my Trangia stuff at home and take some lighter and more compact cooking stuff. The lightest trainers I could find for off-bike use (£30). A small camping towel made from a super absorbent and easily wrung out material, packs away very small. If you take that approach with everything you will be able to take what you need for comfort without ending up carrying too much weight.

This is pretty much what I've done (see kit list above, though I handwaved clothing).  Cut down weight where reasonable to do so - I reckon clothing - and towels - is by far the biggest source of excess weight, especially once it fails to dry, but don't compromise where it actually matters (mat comfort, warmth, knee preservation, etc).  I'd always bring more than one pair of cycling shorts though, ideally of different designs so you don't have to keep wearing the same pad if it starts to rub.  And Ruthie's right about the pants.  Sandals save a lot of weight as you're not lugging extra shoes around.  After that it's probably the tent, which is all about weather-related compromised.

Cooking stuff is so subjective.  If I'm not planning on cooking actual meals, I either leave it all at home (not being a habitual drinker of Brown Drinks is a fantastic way to save weight and reduce faff), or bring a minimal pocket rocket style stove and the MyTiMug, which is sufficient for the odd hot chocolate or emergency snot-noodle.  But if I am cooking properly, the Trangia is well worth its weight in spilt food, crappy windshields and spare gas cartridges.  (If I'm doing more camping than cycling, I'll bring the Trangia with the gas burner, which adds weight, but is more convenient for frying and quickly boiling water.)

At the end of the day, you're only going to notice a difference of a couple of kilos when you want the stuff.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #60 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »
Ugh! Only one pair of shorts? That was said in jest, wasn't it? 3 is, in my opinion*, the optimal number. 1 to wear, one drying and one for Justin.

*as I am learning, it doesn't count for much!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #61 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »

That's my contribution. I don't think I've ever taken that lot, but it reminds me of what I need and I cross stuff out that I'm not going to take.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Samuel D

« Reply #62 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:26:30 pm »
What sort of binoculars do you carry, Wowbagger? I have a wonderful pair of Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars, but I find them a bit big and heavy for taking on the bicycle.

« Reply #63 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:38:00 pm »
Any of us that have done a lot of cycle touring and camping have our own ideas on what is great for us. These ideas like my own list have evolved over the last 17 years cycle camping and are great for me. I have tried going the minimalistic route and didn’t care for it as I do like some camp comforts. The extra weight of those comforts is well worth the effort to carry them.

A newcomer to cycle camping seeking advice is possibly going to be confused as to all the different ideas that are debated here. Hopefully they will either by trial and error or following specific advice they will find what is right for them. My advice is unless you have an excess of funds to play with, beg and borrow equipment to try until you find what is right for you.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #64 on: 27 February, 2016, 01:48:26 pm »
I suspect 35mm film canisters are rather rare these days. A bit like the other repurposed container of yore: the tobacco tin.

Hi Pancho.  Containers for 35mm film are still alive and kicking albeit they are either Black Plastic or Opaque Plastic.
I still use 35mm film in several of my older film cameras albeit I also have several Fuji FinePix digital cameras as well and of course the now ubiquitous Mobile Phone-Camera.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 27 February, 2016, 02:25:28 pm »
We own an independent hostel and I was having a discussion recently about how the number of proper touring cyclists has fallen off dramatically over the last few years.  Yet, ironically, there's never been a better time for the unsupported tourist with modern bikes and lightweight gear.  But most folk these days have a support vehicle of some sort or just bring their own car and do day rides.

Given the lengths that train companies go to to prevent us from taking bikes on trains (*cough* Eurostar *cough*), it's hardly surprising many stick the bike on the back of the car to get their bike to somewhere.

I belonged to a touring club for many years and there was a constant competitive element - who could get away with the smallest/lightest saddlebag etc.  And it was just a single saddlebag, no-one used panniers they were regarded as a bit cissy, the Carradice Overlander was very popular I seem to recall I think I still have mine somewhere.  The point I'm making is with a bit of thought you can get away with minimal luggage, certainly if you're in the uk where you're never that far from civilization.

Yes and no. You can be just 5 miles from civilisation, but if you're sat by a road that gets 3 cars a week with a broken bike in the rain, and can't walk, you may as well be on the moon...

If doing a Youth hostel to youth hostel trip I could probably get away with my 13l backpack with a change of shorts and a couple of inner tubes... But then when touring I have a 30L dry bag on the back with everything in it.

If you are camping turn to the hard core backpackers for advice on weight saving, I met this guy a couple of years ago who has it down to a fine art  http://ultralightbackpacker.com/

As an Ultralight backpacker I now have a dry weight of my backpack of under 5kg. And much the same on the bike. It's been quite an interesting adventure getting it down from about 15kg two years ago.

If I was cycle camping these days I would certainly consider just a tarp rather than a full blown tent you can save a lot of weight/space.  I know guys who use tarps successfully in the depths of winter

Last year I spent 15 nights wild camping with Bivvi/tarp. It's a brilliant way to camp and one I really like. *BUT* if I'm on campsites I prefer a tent where I can close it up, this is largely for privacy reasons. On the side of a hill, noone is going to walk past when I'm putting my bra on, on a campsite that is rather more likely. But an ultralight tent these days can be had for 1kg, or if you go for something like the tramplite shelter, 700g.

It's very important to be able to make a brew quickly and easily.  I meet a lot of backpackers and stove wise the Pocket Rocket is almost universal these days but there are many who choose to use liquid fuel simply because gas canisters are not always easy to obtain but you can generally find meths or surgical spirit.

The main disadvantage of the MSR Pocket rocket is it doesn't fold very compact, the microrocket is a better design that folds smaller and takes up less space in your pot. But you are at the mercy of being able to find an EN417 canister. My personal rule of thumb is that a stove should be able to make a mug of tea in about 20 seconds longer than it takes you to put your tent up. This is a problem when you can put your tent up in just over a minute...

One golden rule is you can't have too many "dry bags".  Also those little canisters you get 35mm film in are very useful for small items provided you remember to label them...

35mm film cans are not that easy to find, but my preference these days is actually the pots that Diabetic test strips come in, if you know anyone who's diabetic and uses a BGM to test their blood, the test strips come in a little black pot. They seal better than film canisters for about the same size.

I would say don't over think it though.  I met a couple of guys from London last year who had simply bought two bikes got on a train to Inverness and set off cycling back home.  They didn't have a clue but were learning fast - and having a whale of a time.

Agreed, F8 and be there.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #66 on: 27 February, 2016, 02:32:45 pm »
It seems that with every camping trip I make, I take less stuff. Originally I had two stuffed panniers, a stuffed bar bag, my mat and tent were on the rack and I had a musette slung over the top with food.
My mat has now migrated into a pannier, there is less in the bar bag so it's now sensibly organised.
Naturally this reduction is not going to be long lived as I'll start adding more comfort stuff - a chair and tarp.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #67 on: 27 February, 2016, 04:05:04 pm »
Ugh! Only one pair of shorts? That was said in jest, wasn't it? 3 is, in my opinion*, the optimal number. 1 to wear, one drying and one for Justin.

*as I am learning, it doesn't count for much!

It may depend where you are touring and the expected climate (for drying) but last summer I toured for a couple of weeks in Provence with one pair of cycle shorts. As soon as I had the tent up at the end of the day's ride I had a shower, changed into my off-bike clothes and washed the shorts, cycle shirt and vest. Then I wrung out as much moisture as I could before hanging them to dry. They were dry enough by the morning, clean and ready for use. Every morning. Clean shorts are clean shorts, even if they are the same ones you wore yesterday.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #68 on: 27 February, 2016, 04:22:58 pm »
The only time I ever went cycle touring (France) we bought supper at lunch time and the only ingredients that we carried for more than half a day where things like cooking oil and pasta that came in bottles/packs that were too big to eat in one night.
Of course, that works fine in France where there's a shop in every village but you might need to rethink if you're in outer Mongolia :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 27 February, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »

Hi Pancho.  Containers for 35mm film are still alive and kicking albeit they are either Black Plastic or Opaque Plastic.
I still use 35mm film in several of my older film cameras albeit I also have several Fuji FinePix digital cameras as well and of course the now ubiquitous Mobile Phone-Camera.
I use these:

But as I've found, they're no good for liquids.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 27 February, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »
It seems that with every camping trip I make, I take less stuff.

I think that's normal.  Or at least, the stuff you take adds up to less weight/volume as you invest in better quality kit.  To that end, the single best purchase I've made was a down sleeping bag.  A synthetic bag that's thick enough to keep you warm can easily fill a pannier.

My clothing's gradually shrunk, too, as cotton has been replaced with silk and merino.

The Downmat's a marginal improvement volume-wise over my self-inflating mat, but many times better in terms of comfort.

« Reply #71 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:39:13 am »
I met a german guy a few years ago (in fact I replaced a broken spoke for him) who represented the other extreme.

He was on the North Sea cycle route so a long trip but even so some of the stuff he was carrying was crazy.  Two digital SLR's for a start, and carrying a laptop would be bad enough but he had separate keyboard as well...  The weight of the loaded bike was phenomenal, dangerously so.

Another intrepid gent from Russia, similarly loaded, proudly showed me his cycle computer which read "average speed - 9" wow I said that's pretty impressive with all that weight, 9mph, no he explained it's in kph.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #72 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:09:37 am »
Jeez! Herding cats is easier... Perspective, guys. Pretty please.

This is a 3 night camp in a 5 night tour. The other two will be onna ferry.
Dean. I settled on the tiny front rack because it gives me something to attach the mudguard bridge to. Whether it will carry anything is debatable.
Having ridden with rear panniers and saddlebag fully loaded I want the front lowriders to spread the weight between front & rear.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. Particularly those who have peeyemmed. It's appreciated. I think I need to take all the info absorb it and do some working out.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #73 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:19:59 am »
John,
I know you're not a fan of tenting, you told me on our last meeting. Don't go buying kit that you'll not need again. Get some clean clothes and essentials in panniers and b&b, cafe it all  :thumbsup:

maybe get something like an alpkit brukit to make a hot drink for when you're lost ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #74 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:26:56 am »
What? " Deaf'n'dumb breakfast" with everyone else cos they camped? Not a chance!

Ackcherly I want to try this 'camping' lark. Even considering the full Long Itch experience...
VELOMANCER