Author Topic: Going Touring  (Read 13578 times)

Re: Going Touring
« Reply #75 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:40:15 am »
For three nights you can bum hot water and use of trangia etc. for cooking from a fellow yacf'er tourist I expect.   You'd just need to carry a mug, bowl, hot beverage ingredient(s) or choice and a couple of sporks.   Buy your daily food on the move.

If we make it onto the trip you'd be welcome to use our trangia.  If we don't make it onto the trip and we're not away elsewhere, you'd be very welcome to borrow our trangia if that would help.  Alcool a bruler is as cheap as aldi wine... 

« Reply #76 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:52:43 am »
Look forward to the morning after pics ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #77 on: 28 February, 2016, 11:35:26 am »
I am sure we can keep you going with Tea and Coffee John. Whatever you do don't google best restaurants in Normandy. You will never eat a noodle again!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 28 February, 2016, 02:00:37 pm »
Jeez! Herding cats is easier... Perspective, guys. Pretty please.

This is a 3 night camp in a 5 night tour. The other two will be onna ferry.

Problem is you need about the same amount of kit for a weekend as you do for a month.  The main difference is that you don't have to wash anything.

As I say, prioritise a decent night's sleep and don't get too hung up about the cookery.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #79 on: 28 February, 2016, 02:56:56 pm »
Kewl!  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #80 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:17:07 pm »
Whilst I don't have the depth of knowledge of others here, I did use the spring Long Itch as my first 'tour' in 25+ years .... and to add to the fun, used the Brompton.
I could have used the regular bike with rack and mahoosive panniers, but decided to see how minimal I could be and have the advantage of easy multi-modal transport options.

Firstly as others have said, to do a practice run with others is a good idea.  Me and Mrs FF did this zillions of years ago with a weekend in Kent before 2 weeks in France.  Something like the LI weekend is perfect.  If you forget something or something doesn't work there are plenty folks to help-out (laugh at your misfortune) and share experience.
I was also surprised how little kit I really needed (and how much I still had).

I ended up with 15kgs of kit in 2 large saddlebags.  The front mounted bag contained most of the 'Camping Kit':

Large Trangia including kettle (I couldn't find the small one)
Plastic plate, metal mug, knife fork spoon, 'Camping knife'.
Washing liquid, small scourer, sugar, tea bags.
Meths, lighter and Matches
Alpkit Hunka Bivvy bag (for extra warmth)*
Tarp, shock-cord and pegs
Small foam 'kneeling/sitting' mat*
2 season down bag
Coleman 5 reed inflatable lilo-thingy*
Head Torch
Bog Roll
Phone charger

Rear Saddle-bag:
Spare cycle shorts, cycle jersey, spare socks
Craghopper trousers, T-shirt, North Face travel shirt, light fleece, Sandals
Toiletries
Woolly hat
Misc bike tools
Paramo compressed is a  Waterproof in a dry-bag

Seat-post Rack:
Vango Banshee 200

My second trip on a real bike and panniers was much the same except I brought a small low folding table to keep cook-stuff off the ground.

The * items are bits that were far more useful than I expected.  As Kim says, comfort at night is hugely important.  The cheap and cheerful Coleman reed bed (like an small old-fashioned lilo, is both comfortable and insulating and takes little space.  It is a bit of a pain to inflate and deflate however, but that's a time issue.  The kneeling mat aids getting out of a small tent without kneeling in the dewy grass.  The Hunka bivvy is light, compact and adds extra warmth for little space, weight or cost and helps protect the down-bag.

For cooking a Trangia works just fine, it has all you need, is simple and reliable for basic camp nomminess.  I've since moved to a Pocket stove with the Trangia Meth burner and an Alpkit Myti mug for cooking/heating duties and a Tifoon for eating just to save weight and space further.
Having discovered Merino this also cuts down on the clothing weight/space too.

I would say with hindsight that a slightly bigger tent would be better for several days away.  Whilst I can get all my kit inside comfortably AND the Brompton, you can't sit upright in it.  Getting dressed is quite an energetic work-out, however it is cosy and I like the side openings.

Just do it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:45:08 pm »
The kneeling mat aids getting out of a small tent without kneeling in the dewy grass.

I've used an empty Ortlieb back-roller for this in the past.  Particularly when it was a choice of which pile of rabbit poo to pitch the tent on.

Not something you'd want to do with a Carradice.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #82 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »
I ended up with 15kgs of kit in 2 large saddlebags.  The front mounted bag contained most of the 'Camping Kit':

Does that 15kg include the weight of food and fuel and water?

My Base kit When cycle touring comes in under 5kg before I add food/fuel/water. 6kg in Winter.

The Hunka bivvy is light, compact and adds extra warmth for little space, weight or cost and helps protect the down-bag.

Be very careful about using a bivvi bag inside a tent. The membrane on bivvi bags requires some air movement across it, as well as a temperature gradient (warmer inside than out), for it to breath properly. If you are warm enough to sweat (which if you are comfortable, you will be), then that sweat needs to get out of the bivvi bag. Inside a tent you generally won't have the air movement necessary, and if you've closed the tent up too much then it will be warmer inside the tent, which reduces the temperature gradient.

You may be lucky and get some condensation free nights sleeping with a bivvi bag inside a tent, you may (as I have) wake up to find your sleeping bag soaked because it was warmer than expected.

YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend using a bivvi bag inside a tent.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #83 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
The kneeling mat aids getting out of a small tent without kneeling in the dewy grass.

I've used an empty Ortlieb back-roller for this in the past.  Particularly when it was a choice of which pile of rabbit poo to pitch the tent on.

Not something you'd want to do with a Carradice.

My preferred solution to this is cheap loft insulation. The stuff that is basically foil coated bubble wrap. It weighs next to nothing, you can fold it up tiny, and it double as something to sit on when using station seats that are metal and designed to burn you or freeze you depending on time of year. It's not the most durable item, but the stuff I've been using has been in use for 2 years of year round wild camping without issue, tho I may replace it soon.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »
My experience of bubble wrap is that, yes, it weighs next to nothing but it is extremely bulky and quite resistant to staying folded. But popping the bubbles could be a way to spend a rainy afternoon!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #85 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:54:52 pm »
My experience of bubble wrap is that, yes, it weighs next to nothing but it is extremely bulky and quite resistant to staying folded. But popping the bubbles could be a way to spend a rainy afternoon!

The foil coated stuff seems to be ok, normal bubble wrap isn't durable enough.

J
--

« Reply #86 on: 29 February, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »
My preferred solution to this is cheap loft insulation. The stuff that is basically foil coated bubble wrap. It weighs next to nothing, you can fold it up tiny, and it double as something to sit on when using station seats that are metal and designed to burn you or freeze you depending on time of year. It's not the most durable item, but the stuff I've been using has been in use for 2 years of year round wild camping without issue, tho I may replace it soon.

J
I had a mat made of this stuff. Incredibly warm but a bit slippery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #87 on: 29 February, 2016, 06:05:17 pm »

Does that 15kg include the weight of food and fuel and water?

My Base kit When cycle touring comes in under 5kg before I add food/fuel/water. 6kg in Winter.

The Hunka bivvy is light, compact and adds extra warmth for little space, weight or cost and helps protect the down-bag.

Be very careful about using a bivvi bag inside a tent. The membrane on bivvi bags requires some air movement across it, as well as a temperature gradient (warmer inside than out), for it to breath properly. If you are warm enough to sweat (which if you are comfortable, you will be), then that sweat needs to get out of the bivvi bag. Inside a tent you generally won't have the air movement necessary, and if you've closed the tent up too much then it will be warmer inside the tent, which reduces the temperature gradient.

You may be lucky and get some condensation free nights sleeping with a bivvi bag inside a tent, you may (as I have) wake up to find your sleeping bag soaked because it was warmer than expected.

YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend using a bivvi bag inside a tent.

J

IIRC the weight includes, the 2 saddlebags, the S-bag frame and the SQR bracket, the Topeak rack and the Tent, everything except water, fuel and food (I didn't carry any except bonk rations) that I carried on the bike.

I take your point about a bivvi bag in a tent but in this case a) I knew it would be cold and b) I knew there would be air movement so there was no issue.  On warmers days the bag alone or bag plus liner would be sufficient.  I accept it's possible to be caught out.  Right now I can't justify a warmer down bag.
Next LI i might try just the flysheet of the Banshee and see how that works as a lighter shelter.

« Reply #88 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:31:06 pm »
Ah .... found my exploits .... including weights!
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bromptons-first-cycle-camping-trip.179679/

The Rourke loaded with similar kit list plus the small table ....
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-steel-its-real.16850/page-95#post-3926742

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #89 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »
Trial run at somewhere like Dalesbridge ought to give you an idea of what's what without being too far away - It's not too far away if it all goes titsup, and there's a good breakfast to be had (even on a Sunday morning) in Ingleton, should your stove-wrangling skills prove wanting.

On the C2C and IOM trips - both about three nights' camping - I did:
Tent/mat/sleeping bag, with a tiny extra tarp for wet or stony ground
Microfibre towel
Baggy 3/4 shorts with liners, Keela non-bike shirts (ADS short sleeve 1/4 zip), lightweight fleece (zip jacket style) for evenings, 1 pair of Ron Hill bikesters for an extra layer at night, Polaris Hydrofoil touring jacket for the rain (best money I ever spent on a jacket, especially as I got it at half price!).
We only aimed at cooking one meal per day, so breakfast and lunch were mostly bought on the hoof.  I took a Trangia 27.1 + fuel + ignition + mug, a couple of backup dried pasta meals in case we got stuck with nowhere to shop for the evening - which we did, but only once.  Otherwise, buy your evening scran at lunchtime, and only buy what you need.  Local bakery for flapjacks, etc.  I recall Graham had a lightweight gas doofer, but I can't remember which kind.
Cooking/eating irons, sharp knife - SAK or Leatherman / Gerber will do.
I found that I could have done with front panniers - the weight was all at the back, but that was my fault.  The problem with getting more panniers would have been the temptation to put more stuff in.  I felt like I was oversupplied enough as it was...

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #90 on: 29 February, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »
After reading through this, do most of you take a trailer  :o

bars:
down bag
sleeping mat
spare shorts-I have on occassion taken savlon or sudocrem and no spare shorts for an overnighter
1 pr spare socks-always have dry socks in the bivvy
1 spare top

frame bag:
water
jetboil gas/firesteel if the piezo cocks it/scourer/spork/coffee inside
food-dry stuff that does in the jetboil
toiletries
bike spares
phone

seatpack:
bivvy
tarp
pegs
groundsheet tarp in winter

if I take my camera it goes into a waist pack/bum bag/ fanny pack.

The crap I've lugged about for years was never used so I ditched the lot and take the stuff I always use. What isn't with me doesn't get used, food and snacks can be purchased. Water can be obtained from lots of places, I have a mental list of public toilets that I use. I mostly use saint flats with shimano boots so I can walk normally, 3/4 shorts so I don't look like a mamil when I pop in anywhere.

loaded-
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #91 on: 01 March, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »
That's impressively coordinated luggage, bumper.

« Reply #92 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »
pure coincidence ol' boy ;D

alpkit yellow stuff is a good match to the retina melting paint on the arkose. My bags are now grey and don't match anything!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #93 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:51:32 pm »
The radioactive paint also explains how you can stay warm with such a tiny mat/bag...

« Reply #94 on: 02 March, 2016, 07:39:08 am »
That was in August using a Rab down bag and an alpkit mat. That seat pack is ****ing massive!

« Reply #95 on: 02 March, 2016, 08:25:28 am »
How about this one. Even less on the bike but I did have a camelbak on.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #96 on: 02 March, 2016, 08:34:15 am »

...and set it to RAW/HDR unless I'm very much mistaken.

Great photos as usual.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #97 on: 02 March, 2016, 08:39:57 am »

...and set it to RAW/HDR unless I'm very much mistaken.

Great photos as usual.

correct :thumbsup:

or iphone for the first pic