Author Topic: Which book ?  (Read 1558 times)

Which book ?
« on: 09 November, 2018, 08:47:58 pm »
I remember us as a class reading a novel / short story in English at school but can't remember the tittle or author. This was in the 70s so bare with me.
It was I think set in WWI and the antagonist was a a sailor who had or had been thought to do something shameful and now was redeeming himself by acting as a spotter on a barren island for the warship he had been a crew member of. It was a bit of a suicide mission.

Thats all I can remember. I thought it might be EM Forster but I cant find anything that matches.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Which book ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:24:58 pm »
CS Forresters Brown on Resolution covers a lot of your memories but not necessarily in the right order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_on_Resolution
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2018, 11:24:07 pm »
Thats definitely it !

Thanks.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2019, 03:25:05 pm »
Thread ressurection

About 40 tears ago I bought an obscure second hand SF paperback from a market stall.

From what I recall it concerned a post apocolypse world where a small city size group decided to finish building a small warship that had been left unfinished when whatever happened took place. As this ship would have been vastly more powerful than anything else left in the world all the other groups banded together to try and stop them. It may have been loosely based in Ireland as I think the mountains of Mourne were mentioned.

Any ideas?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams