Author Topic: Time trial designations  (Read 4160 times)

Maladict

Time trial designations
« on: 17 April, 2008, 07:06:49 pm »
What does all this E3/10 etc mean?  I know 10 is the distance but I forgot what all the numbers mean and googling has revealed nowt.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Time trial designations
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:13:03 pm »
It's so the police don't know that people race on the open roads - well, that was the reason for the course codes about a thousand years ago.  ::-)

All is revealed HERE

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:13:59 pm »
What does all this E3/10 etc mean?  I know 10 is the distance but I forgot what all the numbers mean and googling has revealed nowt.

When I was racing, E3/10 would have been the 10 course on the A127 dual carriageway, starting near Wingletye Lane Upminster and turning at the Halfway House roundabout.
But that was a long time ago.....
Mike

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
E is the district, 3 is the course number and 10 is the distance.

So last night I was racing on a modified version of the FI7/10 (modified due to roadworks.)

Fife district, course 7, 10 miles.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:23:07 pm »
when I raced, some districts didn't use the distance suffix(?).

K courses (midland) and J courses (N.Staffs/Manchester) for example just used a number and sometimes a letter to identify the start point

K6 for example was based on the A449/A5 and started nr Cannock, K6s same roads but started at Dunston nr Stafford

I remember the K49 and the J57 were basically the same course in opposite directions. The K49 started in Rugeley and went to Stone and back on the A51. The J equivalent started nr Stone and went to Rugeley and back, the A51 being the boundary between 2 districts.

Maladict

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
I think i worked out the E3/10 course.  On the A1303 from Bottisham, down to a roundabout near Newmarket, and back.

It's nice and flat.

Should I buy my Trek Madone next week I might take it down there on Thursday.  It's only a few miles from my house.

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:07:30 pm »
I think i worked out the E3/10 course.  On the A1303 from Bottisham, down to a roundabout near Newmarket, and back.

It's nice and flat.

Should I buy my Trek Madone next week I might take it down there on Thursday.  It's only a few miles from my house.

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/courses.asp?Page=2&ID=202&DstID=5 should give you the course description.

..d

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:50:27 am »

It's nice and flat.

Not if you are going hard enough  :demon: Starts and finishes at the Van sales garage.

Our flattest local TT course is the 10 starting on the Sawston bypass out to the Four Wentways roundabout and back (E2/10a).

Neil

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »
Our flattest local TT course is the 10 starting on the Sawston bypass out to the Four Wentways roundabout and back (E2/10a).

One of the fastest 10 courses in the country, that (my PB was on it). And deservedly popular, so you might need a fairly good last-three-seasons time to get into an event there. Or are there middle markers' events on it?
Profit or planet?

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:45:10 pm »

One of the fastest 10 courses in the country, that (my PB was on it). And deservedly popular, so you might need a fairly good last-three-seasons time to get into an event there. Or are there middle markers' events on it?

No, that's the E2/10 from Six mile bottom to 4 Wentways on the A11 - that is a very fast course, but  we don't use that for club TTs as it's too dangerous in the evening (most open events on there start at 6am!). The a version comes from the other direction starting at Sawston to 4 wentways on the A505 - not as fast, but not as dangerous at 7pm.

I doubt I'll ever be fast enough to get an official ride on the E2/10  :(

Neil

Maladict

« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:49:44 pm »
The A10 course I did in 2000 seems to have vanished from the calendar.  Doesn't surprise me, the A10 has become a very busy road.  It wasn't too bad back then.

I would be very uncomfortable about riding in a time trial on the A11.  A 6am start wouldn't be so bad.  The A1303 on the other hand runs parallel to the A14 so the through traffic is on there, it's mostly local traffic and it's a road I am happy to cycle on normally.

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:11:28 pm »
This is the course I was riding on Wednesday.

I prefer the A90 at 7am on a Sunday morning. I think it is far safer despite being a motorway in all but name. Same traffic flow but two lanes each way, much better sight lines and so on.

..d
Edit: No that is not me, and it was the event a fortnight ago - 5 miles on the same course.

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:41:41 am »
No, that's the E2/10 from Six mile bottom to 4 Wentways on the A11 - that is a very fast course, but  we don't use that for club TTs as it's too dangerous in the evening...

Ah, memory doesn't serve...

I stopped time trialling four years ago, not because courses are inherently dangerous in the South East but because many of the motorists using them are lazy morons who would rather risk killing you than move over into an empty outside lane when passing.

That and the death of Saturday afternoon events due to traffic counts  :(
Profit or planet?