Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 61663 times)

Re: Heating on?
« Reply #350 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:47:51 pm »
The igloo shaped cat bed that we bought for the previous kittehs that was ignored and has only seen occasional interest from Ninkasi until now has suddenly become the place to be.

@rafletcher sounds like you could do with a girt big wood burning stove.

We have an open fire that’ll see it’s first use of the year this evening  :). Get the chimney breast storage heater stoked up and keep the bedroom warm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #351 on: 30 November, 2021, 02:31:33 pm »
Off as the boiler started playing up on Sunday.
The plumber has it in bits at the moment.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #352 on: 30 November, 2021, 03:19:56 pm »
During our power cut the kittehs found that laps were the only great sources of heat in the house.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #353 on: 30 November, 2021, 03:22:48 pm »
Off as it's unseasonably warm here. Which is both good and disappointing. Disappointing cos I thought I'd cracked the secret of being warm after the previous couple of days cold, but no, it's just gone really warm.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #354 on: 30 November, 2021, 11:29:57 pm »
It was seriously cold yesterday, with lots of heating used overnight as I had to stay up because barakta was ill.  And then today it's been unseasonably warm and we were out for a couple of hours.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #355 on: 01 December, 2021, 12:32:03 am »

Turned all the radiators up a smidge as it was getting cold and i was becoming non functional. Only turned them up a quarter of what ever the 1-5 units are on the valve. And it's made a massive difference. Feeling much more productive.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #356 on: 01 December, 2021, 12:40:58 am »
My sis-in-law's heating most certainly isn't on. They have been without power for 4 or 5 days, courtesy of Arwen, 1000 feet up in the hills near Burnley. Word is that it will take a fortnight to fix.

S-i-l has long covid and an African grey parrot to support.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #357 on: 10 December, 2021, 08:11:58 pm »
"How could you walk round the house barefoot?" my son said to me this morning. I pointed out that though he had fluffy socks on, I had three layers on my top half whereas he had only a t-shirt.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #358 on: 10 December, 2021, 08:18:21 pm »
Mine was playing silly bugger for the last few days not going above 18c

Fixed and money is back to burning as normal.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #359 on: 11 December, 2021, 01:16:56 pm »
So far this year I haven't put the heating on and I'm trying not too, I'm lucky that the flat has cavity insulation and double glazing and up to now the temperature had not dropped below 15c and that was during the night.
Day time it around 17c and I find that OK.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #360 on: 17 December, 2021, 12:15:45 am »
We've been pretty frugal this year. I'm acutely conscious of the damage our gas boiler is doing to the livelihoods or person or persons unknown and I'm keen to reduce that as much as possible. I have a suspicion that we will have a heat pump for next winter. Whenever possible, I've been keeping the gas boiler turned off and heating a couple of rooms with an oil-filled radiator.

However. I was most surprised by the massive bill we received for the past month's energy. The electricity cost per unit has risen from 14.32p to 25.63p (December 2020/December 2021). The gas price has also risen markedly: 4.53p to 7.53. This is with Ecotricity.

How do others compare?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #361 on: 17 December, 2021, 12:24:59 am »
16.90p per kwh leccy fixed Feb 2021

There is now a 1.5kw electric heater in the conservatory, it's set to frostat except for heating to a comfortable temperature for eating for 2 hours since its the only place there's space for a table.

That the temperature has risen the last few days is v. Welcome while I work out how to reduce heat loss further.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #362 on: 17 December, 2021, 12:25:52 am »
Large drop in our heating demand over the last few days coinciding with  a) the current warm spell  and  b) barakta conquering the stairs.  Will be interesting to compare when it turns cold again.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #363 on: 17 December, 2021, 01:55:30 am »
I've come close to turning the desk fan on in the Estate Office the last couple of evenings as a combination of warmth seeping through the floor from the kitchen and the Babbage-Engine doing Hard Work has raised the temperature into the high 20s in spite of the radiator in there being in a state of long-term not-workingness.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #364 on: 17 December, 2021, 07:34:54 am »
However. I was most surprised by the massive bill we received for the past month's energy. The electricity cost per unit has risen from 14.32p to 25.63p (December 2020/December 2021). The gas price has also risen markedly: 4.53p to 7.53. This is with Ecotricity.

How do others compare?

My 2 year fix deal on electricity (no gas here) runs out in early 2022 so I have been looking at options.  We are fairly heavy users due to the heating being a heat pump, people being at home 24/7 and teenagers that have yet to discover switches can also turn things off when you leave the room. I like to go for truly green tariffs to help my environmental credentials. 

I settled yesterday on a fixed deal offered by my current supplier Scottish power until March 2023 at 23.6p per KW which is up massively but due to my previous direct debit being a little too high and a bit of success in reducing our consumption slightly, we have a credit balance on the account so no change is needed in the monthly payment and I won’t feel the effects of the increase for a while.

felstedrider

« Reply #365 on: 17 December, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
We've been pretty frugal this year. I'm acutely conscious of the damage our gas boiler is doing to the livelihoods or person or persons unknown and I'm keen to reduce that as much as possible. I have a suspicion that we will have a heat pump for next winter. Whenever possible, I've been keeping the gas boiler turned off and heating a couple of rooms with an oil-filled radiator.

How do others compare?

Ecotricity, Good Energy and Green Energy UK have a derogation from the Price Cap mechanism due to their business models.   They can up their prices as much as they like although they probably have to tell you.

The wholesale market is at record highs.  January power traded over 40p/kWh yesterday and that's before all the supply costs are added.

My fix with Ovo rolls off in a couple of weeks but they just offered me a 3 year fix which looks incredibly good value.   The exit fee is £120 so in the unlikely event that the wholesale market returns to its old levels I can unpick pretty easily.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #366 on: 17 December, 2021, 10:56:46 am »
I just checked last month's bill: the leccy price jumped from 17.38p to 25.63p. That's 50% as near as.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #367 on: 17 December, 2021, 11:14:16 am »
Large drop in our heating demand over the last few days coinciding with  a) the current warm spell  and  b) barakta conquering the stairs.  Will be interesting to compare when it turns cold again.

Congratulations also richly deserved by Sherpa Kimzing Norgay.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #368 on: 17 December, 2021, 11:16:55 am »

How do others compare?
Is this actually more eco-friendly? I thought burning oil was substantially more "emissive" than gas.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #369 on: 17 December, 2021, 11:54:09 am »
We are with good energy and our electricity price is just about to go up around 50%.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #370 on: 17 December, 2021, 11:54:39 am »

How do others compare?
Is this actually more eco-friendly? I thought burning oil was substantially more "emissive" than gas.

An oil-filled radiator burns electrons, m'lud.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #371 on: 17 December, 2021, 12:23:58 pm »
Well, that's another tick in the no column of my considerations of whether to get a stove at the new Pingu Towers
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/17/wood-burners-urban-air-pollution-cancer-risk-study
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #372 on: 17 December, 2021, 12:27:24 pm »
Our rates which I fixed (rightly or wrongly, but this was a week or so before Martin Lewis said don't fix) in September are:
Lectric: 22.59p/kWh
Gas: 4.81p/kWh
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #373 on: 17 December, 2021, 01:32:26 pm »

How do others compare?

An oil-filled radiator burns electrons, m'lud.
So it does. I blame my recent excursion with the paraffin-burning Tilley lamp enthusiasts for confusing it with an oil-fired device.

felstedrider

« Reply #374 on: 21 December, 2021, 02:57:59 pm »

January power traded over 40p/kWh yesterday and that's before all the supply costs are added.

57.5p this morning.