Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3902559 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23625 on: 21 June, 2020, 03:15:17 pm »
Had in mind to go roamin the the gloamin with sundown at fife ness and sunup at St Andrews but the early morning forecast put me off that.

Stuck to the main route plan and hit the road for StAndrews finding things not too bad until I came across what seemed like most of Cupar heading for the beach at Guard Bridge.
My hankering for a Janettas was one again eliminated by the length of the queue but town was still spookily quiet.
Coast road out to Crail had a few tile bagging forays including into Boar Hills and Kingsbarns which I've only ever passed though.  I went in land from Kingsbarns to claim a road and tiles before descending to Ainster and Sillerdyke which were being enjoyed by the locals for once. A surprisingly sunny Crail saw the stretch out to Fife Ness which when I last visited was a car park which always had a history of nefarious activity...
Fife's proliferation of Golf Courses seems to be been the solution to that activity and I got myself right out to the far tip of mainland Fife with a bit of comedy off road on the coastal path with a note taken to claim some of the edge tiles by walking it.

I'd cut out a leg to the other village named after Wormwood due to the need to pass through a working farm yard so one for a later date.
The route home was mostly for tile and road bagging purposes and round the back of Craigton I found a rather blunt gate blocking one of the tile bags on tarmac, though there was a right of way that would also make it annoyingly this one was a drit track, fine enough to ride but I didn't go far enough up to claim the tile before taking the directest route home over Strathkinness (why is a village on the top of a hill named after the valley below it???).
Sadly the Hungry Horse is still shut so I had to do the last 20k on vapours

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51117413

Went out to get the sunset near home and I managed to sleep through the morning rain.

bairn again

« Reply #23626 on: 21 June, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »
Arrived in BoA a little early so pootled up the Glen Road a bit which Ive not been up since my yoof, though I stopped when it petered out into a track.  Lots of lovely big houses 

Is it overgrown again?
I find it a rather pleasant link between Dunblane and BoA and so worth the climb.

Aye it was getting a bit overgrown, though in fairness I was just killing time until I got my fish n chips text from the café.

I know the path connects Dunblane and BoA and helps avoid the nasty bits that connect both to the huge RAB. 

Many years ago on the Very popular Three Glens Explorer 160km (Dalmeny - Milnathort - Dunning - Yetts o Muckart - Lang Toun - Dunblane - Dalmeny) the organiser (John Cheesmond?) put an info control in to ensure folk took the alternative route.  The event relocated to Linlithgow Bridge under Neil Fraser where it made a perfect 200km ECE for me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23627 on: 21 June, 2020, 04:13:11 pm »
Wanted to do >100k, legs didn't, home with 67. Arse.

Don't think I'm going to ride on Sundays any more: fed up with young twats overtaking me, inspecting me as they go by, then riding on without a word.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23628 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:33:09 pm »
Was in Edinburgh over the weekend for reasons.

Did a 100k partly offroad loop out to Falkirk to inspect the Kelpies...
https://www.strava.com/activities/3650076498

Echo the great beasts that work among us
unbridled in this kingdom between canal and firth
here to harness the river
and carry each weary traveller
Bow down your strong heads to taste the water
Stretch up your long necks to face the sun

Kelpies by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Then rode home to Aberdeen today:
https://www.strava.com/activities/3654264368

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #23629 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:44:59 pm »
Cyclists allowed back in to Richmond Park all day from today so I felt duty bound to pay the place a visit.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #23630 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:47:01 pm »
B
Cyclists allowed back in to Richmond Park all day from today so I felt duty bound to pay the place a visit.
But still not at weekends. Unless you're under 12 (and accompanied by an adult on foot).
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23631 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:08:17 pm »

https://www.strava.com/activities/3650076498

Echo the great beasts that work among us
unbridled in this kingdom between canal and firth
here to harness the river
and carry each weary traveller
Bow down your strong heads to taste the water
Stretch up your long necks to face the sun

Kelpies by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Then rode home to Aberdeen today:
https://www.strava.com/activities/3654264368

Did you go to the Falkirk Wheel canal boat lift too?

Rob

« Reply #23632 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:27:20 pm »
95km to Waddesdon & beyond.  Nice & sunny, and I didn't get too much of the wind.

Going up Ashendon Hill from Westcott for the first time, opposite direction to Upper Thames Audax...

IMG_AH by a oxon, on Flickr

Remember this place...

IMG_MG by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Feanor

« Reply #23633 on: 22 June, 2020, 10:12:28 pm »

Did you go to the Falkirk Wheel canal boat lift too?

Rob

No, though I've been there before.
I do like it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23634 on: 23 June, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »
The last two days I have been out exploring some new (to me) local trails on the MTB. It's been wonderful, really enjoying it. Very pleased to get out early today for a pre-work ride before it started getting hot (although it was already 18ºC at 6.30am.

I would just like to observe that 1km at 7% and 400m at 12% are a lot tougher on a 14kg full-sus MTB than they are on a lightweight road bike, especially when the riding surface is mud, tree detritus and knobbly roots rather than smooth tarmac. Who knew?

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23635 on: 23 June, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »
The last two days I have been out exploring some new (to me) local trails on the MTB. It's been wonderful, really enjoying it. Very pleased to get out early today for a pre-work ride before it started getting hot (although it was already 18ºC at 6.30am.

I would just like to observe that 1km at 7% and 400m at 12% are a lot tougher on a 14kg full-sus MTB than they are on a lightweight road bike, especially when the riding surface is mud, tree detritus and knobbly roots rather than smooth tarmac. Who knew?

:-)  You should give the South Downs Way a go.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23636 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:16:28 pm »

"Bits of you might survive" as someone's sig line would have it.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23637 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:31:41 pm »
Very hot 75km on t'bent.. :P

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Have you been out today?
« Reply #23638 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »

Have to make do with what’s local for the time being. Hitting an altitude of 110m this morning is about as close as I’ll get to a real mountain round here.

Never mind the South Downs, what I’d really love to do is get up to the Highlands.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Feanor

« Reply #23639 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:03:56 pm »
We did a homage to my local Cycle Club Ice Cream outing to Portsoy today, in hot sunny conditions, with a stiff headwind on the return home.

Portsoy harbour by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/3669728402

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23640 on: 26 June, 2020, 08:02:47 am »
We did a homage to my local Cycle Club Ice Cream outing to Portsoy today, in hot sunny conditions, with a stiff headwind on the return home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3669728402

Haven't been to Portsoy for years. MrsT lived with her parents in Banff when we met.  I think it was in Portsoy where there was a shop with a mynah outside and a RNLI collection box on top of the cage. When you put a coin in it would bob its head and say either "thankee" or "you black stinker" at random. Could be unfortunate at times.  "You black stinker" was what the shop-owner called it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23641 on: 26 June, 2020, 08:20:08 am »
110k via my usual 100k loop with another bit tacked on.  Fast 40k outleg with following wind, home through forest with a few good climbs, including one that used to be a bugbear when I was just starting cycling again >25 years ago but now seems gentle apart from the very end.  The forest roads were 10% new tarmac and 90% ancient worn-down chip & seal; much vibration, endless bumps, plentiful potholes.

Seem to have got a lot of sun because skin still stinging a bit in places; realised that by this time of year I'd usually have built up a gradual tan, but thanks to lockdown I'm getting the full brunt of the sun with not much melanin to resist it.  Slapped on Biafine everywhere.

Knackered this morning, and found my back tyre flat.  It can wait.

« Reply #23642 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:42:03 am »
Usual Thursday small group ride. Wasn't going to go as shattered but wife made me and once I'd put my seat up which I think must be slipping and convinced my legsnto. Work was a lovely evening. Had some silly games after one guy chased me down hill so I went for it on the next uphill. He kept up but were both glad we had to wait for the others. Returned the favour on another downhill and managed to sneak past before we realised we had dropped a guy so took it easy. Lovely to be out till nearly 10 and still relatively light

bairn again

« Reply #23643 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
I thought id take advantage of the more bearable end of the hottest day of the year by setting off for a long ride at 4pm. 

Edinburgh to Bridge of Allan by the north side of the Forth for fish n chips for the 2nd Thursday in a row. 

Upwards and NE to Braco, Auchterader and Perth (120k) for a Costa coffee from the petrol station. 

I had toyed with heading further north a bit, with a sleep option in the audax hotel in Kinrossie but my right knee was twingeing a bit and while a kip might have been helpful I didnt want to set off cold and stiff after.  So I headed south over to Bridge of Earn Kinross and back over the Forth. 

Ridewithgps had been playing up on my phone so I was relying on mental arithmetic for total distance and I realised when crossing the Forth that Id be about 190km if I went straight home. 

So I decided to go and have a look at Princes Street and the castle before a retrace for home.  Both were shrouded in haar....classic summer weather in Edinburgh so I did a quick u turn and headed west for home.  There werent many folk about, apart from a handful at Haymarket Railway Station and the adjacent tram stop.  I dont think Ive ever passed there without there being some straggler or other.  They always appear to be pining for the station or chippie to open! 

I rode down the tram tracks for a frission of excitement and gave a wide berth to a few guys doing the lop sided drunk walk (theres a great Billy Connolly sketch about it).  The mist was billowing around the Roseburn Bar as I passed it and we were now fully into Basil Rathbone territory. 

Getting home at 3am I felt a wee bit let down that it wasnt getting light - on a clear day this time of year daylight can start to appear by then, but there was no chance on this misty morning.

I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and managed to drag myself out of bed to login for work.  It was a weary trudge upstairs to my Lockdown Office.  Maybe I can phone down for coffee.   :o

A few pics. 

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23644 on: 28 June, 2020, 07:34:29 pm »
22km mostly off road noodling about in the forest, very windy today so one to stay among the trees.
I knew my riding has been pathetic this year but my total on strava for the year is less than I've done in a day before :(  I shall be out after work tomorrow and Tuesday to ensure I exceed 1x Amesbury Amble in 6 months.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #23645 on: 28 June, 2020, 08:14:35 pm »
An not too early jaunt to deliver a card for the wife. She could have posted it but hey any excuse. First bit was nasty windy and my planned route was scuppered by a police road closure. I had ignored the fact someone said the road was closed coming the other way as generally they are not closed to bikes which can be carried round but this was proper shut. Reports are one dead and one arrested for death by dangerous driving with drink and drugs added.

Back into the wind due to rerouting. Card delivered and back via a circulous route. Loads of cyclists out. Probably in the region of 200 seen and most seemed in allowed groups and friendly enough. Another reroute as another road closed. Some cyclists were getting through but think the road work team were getting pissed off. It was signed closed for a good mile.

Last little bit after that was hard. Felt the battle into the earlier wind but over with the 40ish K today I've without aiming to got to around 400km for the month.

Will be celebrating by buying a helmet cam after a couple of badly executed overtakes as detailed in today's motorised moron.

Feanor

« Reply #23646 on: 28 June, 2020, 08:29:12 pm »
Took the MTB for another spin around Bennachie.
The rain started the moment I set off, and didn't really let up much all the way round.
I omitted part of the planned route due to the poor weather.

Bennachie in the murk by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/3683830903

« Reply #23647 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:45:07 pm »
A 30 mile spin into Surrey with Mrs h and a guest appearance from mini. Beautiful out there (if a little windy). Lots and lots of bikes out.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23648 on: 29 June, 2020, 01:15:50 am »
Saturday 200km loop, anti-clockwise from Sheffield to Wetherby via Sherburn in Elmet, returning via Kirkstall where a friend lives and I stopped for an awkward coffee.

I got wet and dried off a few times. A good test for my new merino jersey which performed well, keeping me warm when wet.

The first 100km was relatively flat with the bulk of the 2200m elevation in the last 50km, some nasty little buggers on the border of West and South Yorkshire.

It was a ride which used the full variety of roads, including 4 lane roundabouts near Leeds, the awkward "CS1" between Leeds and Bradford and the Spen Valley Greenway which is ideally surfaced but busy with dog walkers and young 'uns, liberal use of the bell was needed.

A good day out but would've been improved if I'd not missed the chip shop in Wetherby by 10 minutes.

bairn again

« Reply #23649 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:59:32 am »
An early rise for 50km before work out to Linlithgow and back.

Got home somewhat deflated after experiencing bad driving at the spots where I tend to be on highest alert levels.  A triple crown of awful driving if you will. 

- Drum Brae RAB where my 3rd exit right turn can occasionally be fraught due to prevailing traffic on a dual carriageway mostly going SO.  This morning it was a delivery lorry coming towards me wanting to go left ie same exit as me but refusing to stop sufficiently to confirm definitively that hed seen me and then driving dangerously close behind me after that to the extent that I chose to go onto the pavement and stop for my own safety.  I think I'll avoid this RAB in future now that lockdown levels of traffic are well and truly a thing of the past. 

- Dangerous rat runners heading for the M9 at the staggered crossroads at Threemiletown (both ways)

- Folk flying along the A803 between Linlithgow heading towards Champany, making my right turn to the minor road to Kingsfield nigh on impossible.  No doubt folk here also heading to the M9.     

I mean I've been riding these roads for the best part of 50 years and have developed a sense of what to look out for and where.  Heaven help folk who aren't expecting bad driving.  It reminded me why I used to do quite a lot of wattbike cycling in the gym, avoiding the fight that this crap ^ represents. 

Beautiful morning too, should have been so much more enjoyable. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51670013