General Category > Freewheeling

Teaching an (almost) 6 year old to ride

(1/10) > >>

rogerzilla:
Any ideas?  Mrs Z insisted I put the stabilisers on because Emma would not go near the bike otherwise, and it was gathering dust in the shed.  She has since consented to a go without them again, but can't "scoot" at all.  She's now outgrown her first bike and still can't actually ride!

Does anyone teach kids to ride professionally, with guaranteed results?

My parents used the traditional terror method of running along holding the seat post and then letting go - I crashed a lot, but it was on grass.

Ian H:

--- Quote from: rogerzilla on 15 June, 2009, 07:40:21 pm ---...I crashed a lot, but it was on grass.

--- End quote ---

I assume there's no grass in Swindon?

pcolbeck:
I was taught in park with a (small) hill on grass. Parent running alongside then let go once up to speed. No need to pedal because of the hill. Once confidence in balance is gained pedalling is easy.

Panoramix:
If there is anything that applies to teaching a 5 years old to ride, I will be interested.

She managed to fall off with the stabilisers on as she decided to move her weight the wrong way round in a turn!!!

We have done some zigzagging and it is better now. I am trying to persuade her that cool kids can cycle with the stabilisers off the ground with some (minor) success. All this running keeps me fit!

pcolbeck:
Leaving stabilisers on too long is counter productive as they actually make the bike unstable when it leans ie when too much weight ends up on one of the little wheels when cornering or zig zagging which then destroys confidence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version