Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2400244 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #9250 on: 08 June, 2023, 08:47:16 am »
He wasn’t actually a member , just a dude that had the space 😂

« Reply #9251 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:13:05 pm »
Finally, finally, I got a GT Grade via C2W.
It's arrival was timely because I was knocked off the Disco recently and the car parked on the bikes rear wheel bending the axle and twisting the frame. The bike is a write-off; Disco is dead*.
I got the Grade Carbon Elite and the (not)LBS took off the groupset and replaced it with Super Record shifters, Chorus front and rear derailleurs, a Praxis chainset (48/32) and it's running an Ultegra 12 speed 34/11 cassette. I'm currently using the standard tyres and wheels but set up tubeless with Vittoria inserts as well; the tyres are very draggy but they'll stay on until after the Friday's London-Paris-London tour. The saddle is a Fizik Aliante and I'm waiting for an Ergon carbon seatpost to arrive. That will be the last, ahem, upGrade for a while.

https://imgur.com/a/cfOXs4v

^For now until I can find a way to display pictures properly.
Suggestions/help gratefully accepted.

*I'm OK, bruise on the inside of my leg.

« Reply #9252 on: 01 July, 2023, 08:42:36 pm »
Finally, finally, I got a GT Grade via C2W.
It's arrival was timely because I was knocked off the Disco recently and the car parked on the bikes rear wheel bending the axle and twisting the frame. The bike is a write-off; Disco is dead*.
I got the Grade Carbon Elite and the (not)LBS took off the groupset and replaced it with Super Record shifters, Chorus front and rear derailleurs, a Praxis chainset (48/32) and it's running an Ultegra 12 speed 34/11 cassette. I'm currently using the standard tyres and wheels but set up tubeless with Vittoria inserts as well; the tyres are very draggy but they'll stay on until after the Friday's London-Paris-London tour. The saddle is a Fizik Aliante and I'm waiting for an Ergon carbon seatpost to arrive. That will be the last, ahem, upGrade for a while.

https://imgur.com/a/cfOXs4v

^For now until I can find a way to display pictures properly.
Suggestions/help gratefully accepted.

*I'm OK, bruise on the inside of my leg.

Imgur's easy. You select the photo, look for option BB Code for forums, click on copy and paste directly into your post here. You don't even have to use the image option in the message box here, the square brackets and whatever are already in the Imgur link.

« Reply #9253 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:05:41 pm »
My new Tern GSD S00 LR that I collected last Friday, getting to work with sh!t recycling for the tip recycling centre.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9254 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:10:18 pm »
My new Tern GSD S00 LR that I collected last Friday, getting to work with sh!t recycling for the tip recycling centre.

How much!?!  :o  £6200!

« Reply #9255 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:34:18 pm »
You should not think of it as another bike. It has been bought to replace the car we got rid of in April so it is a car replacement. It's cheaper to buy than a car, it's cheaper to insure than a car and it's cheaper to run than a car. Therefore it is a bargain.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9256 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:54:27 pm »
You should not think of it as another bike. It has been bought to replace the car we got rid of in April so it is a car replacement. It's cheaper to buy than a car, it's cheaper to insure than a car and it's cheaper to run than a car. Therefore it is a bargain.  :thumbsup:

Yes very true!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9257 on: 03 July, 2023, 01:04:25 pm »
It's probably heavier than a car   ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9258 on: 03 July, 2023, 02:14:09 pm »
There was one o' they outside Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9259 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:19:43 am »

It's over double the price of the last car we bought, a couple of years ago, it undoubtedly is cheaper to insure but it won't do Limoges to Oxford in under a day and we take a lot more than that when we go to the déchetterie! And since you have managed without a car since april, it can't be considered as replacing anything whatsoever!

Just sour grapes 'cos I'm jealous  :(

« Reply #9260 on: 08 July, 2023, 12:44:11 am »

Many thanks mzjo.
It's easy when you know  :facepalm:
Picture added to my original post, look for new posts with pictures of my new, new bike  ::-)

« Reply #9261 on: 08 July, 2023, 01:14:04 am »
Here is the new, new bike, Cannondale Topstone Lefty 2.
Colour scheme is completely and utterly shit awful but there wasn't an alternative.
The bike is a replacement for the (sadly) dead Disco. The insurance company didn't offer a "cashback" deal, I had to get a new bike.
Could be worse I suppose..*.........

* Colour scheme ? WTAF were Cannondale thinking of  ?
I looked at the other versions but they weren't available.
I'm (more than)a little disappointed that the (not)LBS set it up for someone who weighs 80kg..............

Longer stem fitted and I'm loving it so far. Narrower bars and luggage fitments coming .........

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9262 on: 08 July, 2023, 10:07:09 am »

"The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available."

I've never used imgur but it seems it's not easy after all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9263 on: 08 July, 2023, 10:21:21 am »

"The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available."

I've never used imgur but it seems it's not easy after all.

I think it has to be an image that is uploaded to your personal account. I have never tried to upload anything that wasn't one of my images.
ETA Imgur was having one of its occasional hiccups a few minutes ago 'cos it didn't want to show me my images. It has happened before!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9264 on: 15 August, 2023, 05:22:06 pm »
Shimano D-type were better than the E-type IMHO. I didn't know that you could get Shimano coaster brakes with so few spoke holes.
An odd characteristic of the brake is that when it's hot, which it is on any cross-town ride because of the frequent braking, the brake shoes rattle on bumps.  The noise goes away when cold, presumably as the grease thickens.  This is 1000 deg C grease, too.  My old SRC3 never did that, but the brake shoes on that were in a kind of expanding ring, not just two loose shoes.  Same goes for the Sachs Duomatic, which I have had shimmering-hot coming down the Marlborough Downs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9265 on: 08 September, 2023, 10:45:36 pm »
I've had this frame since 1978 (a Raleigh Professional). It's done PB TT's, RR wins, commutes, tours and audaxes. I've ridden it geared and fixed. I've now converted it to single speed freewheel and flat bars.

IMG_20230908_222300_310 by ian, on Flickr

Afasoas

« Reply #9266 on: 24 September, 2023, 03:02:36 pm »
^^ proper classic.

My 90s Ridgeback hybrid sports a Henry Burton sticker ...... but it's not in the same league as what you've put together there.

New-to-me Wilier. I think it's from around 2015; I probably need to hit up WayBackMachine to confirm. Initial impression is that it's pretty much like every alu framed road bike I've ridden, barring Cannondales finest.
It's no spring chicken, and I shouldn't really ride it at all until the rear wheel/rim is replaced. Some barely used and unused second hand bits should be arriving later in the week.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9267 on: 24 September, 2023, 07:56:24 pm »
^^ proper classic.

My 90s Ridgeback hybrid sports a Henry Burton sticker ...... but it's not in the same league as what you've put together there.

New-to-me Wilier. I think it's from around 2015; I probably need to hit up WayBackMachine to confirm. Initial impression is that it's pretty much like every alu framed road bike I've ridden, barring Cannondales finest.
It's no spring chicken, and I shouldn't really ride it at all until the rear wheel/rim is replaced. Some barely used and unused second hand bits should be arriving later in the week.

I used to work in the shop (in my youth). Got cheap renovations if the shop decals were added :)

« Reply #9268 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:13:00 pm »
Grandchildren are starting to get close to needing this work in progress. I've yet to discover how old the frame is, not far off the century I believe - make unknown! It's been mine and in regular evolution since 1981.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9269 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:01:37 am »
It's arrived - played with saddle adjustment and bar position since arriving home but really enjoyed the ride home from Dumfries - not out of breath and no associated fatigue  :)

391606959_10160925213787486_6309481467611456173_n by ian, on Flickr

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9270 on: 04 November, 2023, 07:16:35 pm »
Over 200km done on the Raleigh Trace Ebike. A number of additions and changes made. More comfortable now with new saddle and bars (40mm uplift and 30 degree sweep back) fitted. The WTB Byways punctured twice on Sunday's CTC club run so replaced with some heavier Schwalbe Land Cruisers. Carradice Bagman support and Gorix front rack added for the shopping trips. Manufacturers state 80km/50miles battery range. I rode 79km last Sunday but there's still 36% battery life and 42km range left.

P1020991 by ian, on Flickr

P1020995 by ian, on Flickr

P1020996 by ian, on Flickr

P1020999 by ian, on Flickr

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9271 on: 15 December, 2023, 02:44:29 pm »
IMG_0772 by mark tilley, on Flickr

380423066_6530905056962690_3760570783737054059_n by mark tilley, on Flickr

Flossie the tandem, photos taken En France back in September on our first 'El Tandemista Social Club'  forrin excursion.
'tis a late 90's Dawes Kickback two,hand built Reynolds 501 frame, and it's super comfy.  Now has lower gearing for 'them 'ills'

Afasoas

« Reply #9272 on: 10 January, 2024, 12:06:47 pm »
^^ Lovely

« Reply #9273 on: 22 March, 2024, 04:26:10 pm »
After many years I have finally ordered this bike. It's a steel light tourer, with as many parts built in my region as possible
- Cyfac frame (France)
- Campagnolo group (Italy)
- SON dynamo and lighting (Germany)
- Gilles Berthoud saddle and mudguards (France)
- FMB tyres (Brittany)

It's not especially fast or light, but can swallow miles in comfort.

« Reply #9274 on: 26 March, 2024, 06:26:53 am »
That's lovely! Extra points for the local parts dimension.