Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 135605 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #1025 on: 31 January, 2024, 06:14:29 pm »
Venice, LA has a new folk hero - the phantom faeces-flagger!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/30/los-angeles-dog-poop-flag-venice-mystery

That reminds me of seeing a similar thing in Saltaire, years ago - my favourite flag message was "Shame on you, clean up your poo". :D

A few months back, someone in EH7 was drawing chalk-lines around pavement dog poos, in the style of dead body crime scenes.
There's someone here that does the chalk circle thing too.
Doesn't last long in our climate.

I first saw the circle round a dog-job in Worthing in 1975. I'm glad the idea has been revived.

« Reply #1026 on: 31 January, 2024, 07:12:07 pm »
When my mate Pete collapsed on my kitchen floor thanks to an access of incohol, I used a tub of table salt to draw a white line around his prone body.
How we laughed.

« Reply #1027 on: 31 January, 2024, 07:59:37 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/30/los-angeles-dog-poop-flag-venice-mystery

That reminds me of seeing a similar thing in Saltaire, years ago - my favourite flag message was "Shame on you, clean up your poo". :D

A few months back, someone in EH7 was drawing chalk-lines around pavement dog poos, in the style of dead body crime scenes.

I'm in EH7, but it wasn't me. ;D (I did see that, though, and commend whoever did it.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1028 on: 31 January, 2024, 10:18:41 pm »
When my mate Pete collapsed on my kitchen floor thanks to an access of incohol, I used a tub of table salt to draw a white line around his prone body.
How we laughed.

Where's that photo of the CrinklyCubs mantling a train set around a crashed-out audaxer...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1029 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:05:00 pm »
I investigated getting “Yellow Spray Paint, hazard marking for the use of”. For the council but other shit got in the way and I never progressed it.

The idea was to make dog eggs stand out. But with weather degrading paint.

May reconsider and relook at it in my dotage.
It is simpler than it looks.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #1031 on: 02 February, 2024, 09:39:00 pm »
How we laughed.

I don't doubt I've told the story, but as students we borrowed a reel of 'police' tape from, not the police, but our gangster landlord who used it to discourage people looking at stuff that they shouldn't be looking at ('plenty more where that came from, lads'). Anyway, we spent our drunken evenings with me prone on various garden paths and street pavements while my partner-in-crime chalked my outline. Then we'd seal off the scene with the police tape. We trapped my girlfriend in her house for an entire weekend because she thought someone had been murdered on her doorstep. I thought it was you!, she said. How close she was. If she'd ever found out, it might have been me.

It got a bit out of hand, our faux crime spree was even featured in the Liverpool Echo. At that point, we decided to fade into the background, and let's face it, Liverpool has enough real murders to have eventually put us out of the faux crime business.

« Reply #1032 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:00:06 am »

I'm in EH7, but it wasn't me. ;D (I did see that, though, and commend whoever did it.)

I've not seen anything similar in EH9, but I feel like there's been an increase in the amount of dog poo being left to lie about in the last few months.

I, too, commend whoever is doing the chalk outlines. The flags are good too, but I guess they would result in random litter after a few spells of rain.

« Reply #1033 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:28:43 am »
The flags are good too, but I guess they would result in random litter after a few spells of rain.

That's a fair point - we certainly don't need more litter on the streets.

I realised I have some pavement chalk (bought for scrawling messages to the phantom flytippers who think it's ok to dump bags of rubbish next to the glass bin instead of walking 20m to the general waste bin).

Perhaps I shall become the next poo-chalker. ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1034 on: 03 February, 2024, 06:39:27 pm »
The thought of squatting down close enough to the poo to draw round it makes me want to boak. Maybe the chalkers have a long stick with their chalk attached.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1035 on: 03 February, 2024, 07:43:43 pm »
The thought of squatting down close enough to the poo to draw round it makes me want to boak. Maybe the chalkers have a long stick with their chalk attached.

Probably smokers.  Or dog owners.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1036 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:02:54 pm »
There's a pavement chalk artist by the name of Zinn, who does these things which when looked at from the right angle, appear to be things like vertical shafts dropping down into the ground, and with various creatures coming up out of the top.

To get this uncanny 3D perspective view, he stands from the observer's PoV, and used chalk-onna-stick to sketch out the initial framework.

« Reply #1037 on: 04 February, 2024, 10:06:13 am »

It took a few seconds to occur to me that you were probably referring to their sense of smell - I immediately imagined that they were using their old-school cigarette holders to hold the chalk.  :facepalm: ;D

Oh, and an update on the EH9 situation - I mentioned the chalk thing to my wife, who said she'd seen it in the neighbourhood.

I was semi-seriously thinking of getting a poop trowel and scooping all of the poops into a pile. It would confine the issue to a smaller area, and maybe make the dog emptiers think again before just leaving it. Probably not though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1038 on: 04 February, 2024, 01:54:54 pm »
There's a pavement chalk artist by the name of Zinn, who does these things which when looked at from the right angle, appear to be things like vertical shafts dropping down into the ground, and with various creatures coming up out of the top.

To get this uncanny 3D perspective view, he stands from the observer's PoV, and used chalk-onna-stick to sketch out the initial framework.

A conscientious dog might be forgiven for squatting on the "edge" of one and crapping "down" it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1039 on: 05 February, 2024, 09:51:04 am »

It took a few seconds to occur to me that you were probably referring to their sense of smell - I immediately imagined that they were using their old-school cigarette holders to hold the chalk.  :facepalm: ;D

Oh, and an update on the EH9 situation - I mentioned the chalk thing to my wife, who said she'd seen it in the neighbourhood.

I was semi-seriously thinking of getting a poop trowel and scooping all of the poops into a pile. It would confine the issue to a smaller area, and maybe make the dog emptiers think again before just leaving it. Probably not though.
It's presumably spray chalk rather than a old-skool stick.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1040 on: 06 February, 2024, 07:29:28 am »

« Reply #1042 on: 06 February, 2024, 02:12:19 pm »
I guess the rules must state you have to advise the potential side effects, no matter how (un)likely they are in reality.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1044 on: 09 February, 2024, 01:34:54 pm »
‘What do you mean, the tower is gone?’: thieves steal 200ft structure from Alabama radio station

The FCC also notified WJLX on Thursday morning that the station would have to go off the air because of the theft. While WJLX still has its FM transmitter and tower, it is not allowed to operate its FM transmitter while the AM station is off the air.

That's about as sympathetic as you could expect from the Home Orifice. Maybe the FCC has been taking lessons.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1045 on: 09 February, 2024, 01:45:56 pm »
I suspect that American bureaucracy needs no lessons from anybody in the art of Bastard-fu.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1046 on: 09 February, 2024, 02:10:04 pm »
Build an Eiffel Tower out of matches.
Get a World Record.
Have it snatched away.
Get it back.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/09/matchstick-eiffel-tower-guinness-world-records-matches
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1048 on: 03 March, 2024, 11:20:35 am »
Worried about the pong of your poo? You’re in good company.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20240301/p2a/00m/0na/028000c
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1049 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:06:36 am »
Baltimore bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship.  Casualties unknown.

https://x.com/bbcbreakfast/status/1772528883411103847

https://x.com/uncoovr/status/1772531237556564216

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark