Author Topic: Changing from STi to Campag  (Read 925 times)

Changing from STi to Campag
« on: 05 November, 2020, 11:29:16 am »
I'm not happy with the Shimano 105 STi on the tandem.  I don't think the shifting is very good, I don't like the way the brake lever can swing while braking and the brake pivot digs into my forefinger while shifting to the big ring.  And talking about the brake pivot, I think it is too low for the best mechanical advantage when braking from the hoods.  One finger on the drops is far more powerful than a whole hand on the hoods.

Anyways, what options do I have to swap manufacturers?

Rear mech could use a shiftmate to convert??

Is there a type of Campag that would work with a Shimano triple front?

What about brake cable pull, I have full length V's with a travel agent on the front and a TRP Spyre road on the rear.

Thanks

Re: Changing from STi to Campag
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2020, 11:40:13 am »
Condor Cycles have some NOS Campag Centaur 10s ergo levers.

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2020, 12:49:25 pm »
Not sure about the latest Campag stuff but older front shifters were not indexed, just a ratchet so should work with any front mech.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:08:14 pm »
Interesting, but does that mean I cannot have the new style levers with a ratcheting left hand?

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:56:34 pm »
With the exception of Tiagra, I don't think there are any modern brifters which work with a triple front mech. I may well be wrong, though (and please correct me if I am). Unfortunately triples have disappeared from modern bikes.

I recently refurbished one of my old bikes for a lockdown project, and ended up putting downtube levers on it for just that reason. My other triple-equipped bike has end shifetrs, so no help there.

However I can tell you from experience that Campag levers work very well with Spyre brakes. I have the Potenza HO levers, which might make a difference (HO = hydraulically optimised, though bizarrely they use cables).

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:58:25 pm »
With the exception of Tiagra, I don't think there are any modern brifters which work with a triple front mech.
How do you define modern?

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2020, 02:14:36 pm »
I use 2006 Campag 10 Speed Ergos on a Shimano 9 Speed drivetrain with a shiftmate on my tourer and have done since 2006.

I have done many, many thousands of trouble free miles on that setup.

The Ergos got refurbed by Condor about 5 years ago, the chainset and everything else has been replaced several times (except the front mech (Ultegra triple)) which is still going strong.

Edit: The rear mech is currently a fairly recent Deore. I originally ran an old XT. Works fine.

Condor Cycles have some NOS Campag Centaur 10s ergo levers.

They do indeed
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!