Author Topic: Static Trainer Stand for Pendleton Somerby??  (Read 1353 times)

Static Trainer Stand for Pendleton Somerby??
« on: 15 September, 2023, 04:11:45 am »
I'm getting fed up of my bike gathering dust, I'm getting annoyed that I keep getting the bus for a trip that I use to cycle frequently. Heck, I could walk it in 10-15 minutes if I'm in good health.
I'm getting back into the walking part but I want to get back to being bike fit again. Trouble is, when I take out my bike (A Pendleton Somerby, if you hadn't guessed by the title) I get the dreaded "wet lung". You know that feeling, harsh breathing and mouth full of ick! I don't want to then get off the bike and have to either walk it back home nor keep having to stop every couple of minutes to recuperate.
So I thought I'd get one of those bike stand things so I can pedal to my heart's content in the comfort of my kitchen or back garden.
So what do you recommend for a bike like the Somerby? It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that I can get her back wheel off floor to pedal. Maybe looking in the £50 price range, if possible.
Preemptive thanks in advance.
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Static Trainer Stand for Pendleton Somerby??
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2023, 05:52:16 am »
You want something like this https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/standard-turbo-trainers/saris-basic-magnetic-trainer-296950.html

But look on gumtree or your local free cycle groups as well since people often buy with good intentions and then not use them.

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2023, 06:33:09 am »
Thank you.
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2023, 05:12:07 pm »
As far as I can tell, that bike has wheels that bolt on (with nuts), as opposed to quick-release (Q/R) fastenings - i.e. the lever type that tend to come on sports/racing and mountain bikes. PaulF is right, but some trainers fit only Q/R wheels, whereas others take either type. It's hard to be certain for any particular trainer, so I'd recommend actually trying to fit your bike to it before spending money.

Just to complicate things, some trainers do take wheels with nuts, but need adaptors. If you get stuck, tell us which trainer model you're looking at.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2023, 10:58:11 am »
Yep, has nuts.

I have no problems with swapping out her axle if I have to, but I want to avoid that as much as possible. The adapters I've seen, they look like an axle swap. Is that right? Or are they just a fancy nut?

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:28:19 am »
Fancy nut I think. Swapping an axle between Q/R and nutted is not always straightforward. But, if you don't yet have the trainer, just buy one that takes nuts in the first place. As I said, some take both and some are Q/R only.