Author Topic: Going the distance  (Read 4361 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: Going the distance
« Reply #25 on: 04 September, 2023, 06:12:35 pm »
Time limitations are dictated by children/pick up times etc - if necessary I can set off earlier if factoring in a meal time half way through

Like the idea of maybe 4x 40km “legs” could do a 2x 80km loop with a cafe at the way point

I've just been thinking about this, being in a similar.situation. I'm 67 now and not planning any more Audaxes, but I'd like to ride a few more comfortable Centuries.

I'd say, if you want to ride much farther than you've been recently and you've got a hard time limit, allow enough time to to the extra distance at half the speed (you never know what might happen). . If that doesn't yet allow you to ride 100 miles in nine hours, pick a distance that you could easily do by that metric, see how long it actually takes you, and use that for calculating the length of your next big ride.

So, for example, if you've done 100k in five hours, your next ride should be 140k. If you can manage that in seven hours,  you can easily do 160 in nine, while allowing plenty of time for the unforeseen.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #26 on: 04 September, 2023, 06:45:42 pm »
"100 in 8" is an old club standard, the idea being that you arrive neither before nor after, but as near to the 8hrs as poss.  Given good time-trialists will beat 4hrs for 100 miles, it's not too onerous a task. 

Take it easy for the first miles, but vary your position, take the weight off your backside occasionally, drink plenty.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #27 on: 12 September, 2023, 06:11:02 pm »

Got it done - massive thank you for all the advice and encouragement

« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:31:50 pm »
Chapeau

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:43:00 pm »
Well done! Even when I was young, a 7h century was beyond me. I could keep my moving average close to 15mph, but stops would always take me over. I think my fastest was something like 7h 50m.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #30 on: 13 September, 2023, 12:09:56 am »
Well I’m nearly 45 now and this was my first. We were out for 9.5 hours but spent a bit of that helping a cyclist who was behind a car at some lights , the car was sitting too far forward so reversed into the guy , crushed his front wheel and cause some sort of weird bubble on his leg - that kind of knocked us for a while afterward , we were on for about 6h 30min prior to that. Probably won’t try again till next year now , it was quite cold this morning and very hot this afternoon , clothing nightmare.

Enjoyed it though , and apart from a bit of a ride hangover I’m fine now

« Reply #31 on: 13 September, 2023, 03:51:07 pm »
Excellent stuff.

You'll have the bug. Next stop, 200km
<i>Marmite slave</i>