Author Topic: Tomsk's Essex Events  (Read 29303 times)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
Re: Tomsk's Essex Events
« Reply #25 on: 17 January, 2014, 11:00:51 am »
I've got an idea for a 150km route - up towards Cambridge, over to Red Lodge, avoiding Newmarket, then back to Saffron Walden to pick up the TdF route as far as rayne then back to Dunmow: 100 miles/165km.

Good plan LOL.

Hope to do one of these rides this year, a BP only, no bus shelters for me unless it goes REALLY wrong.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
Local friends have told me that the other curry house in Manningtree, the Nirala Tandoori, is superior to the Mogul in terms of vegetarian options and general food. You could always try a different curry house out!

Thanks AH, I'll look into it....

avoiding Newmarket....

Good plan LOL.

'cept on the way back to Saffron Walden, just for fun   :facepalm:

« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2014, 01:18:46 pm »
Newbie alert!

I'm looking to do my first 300 this year and the Green and Yellow fields lands nicely on the calendar in April.

I've downloaded the route sheet and notes and Tom's comments in the notes state it is a x rated event for experienced riders. I was just wondering how 'experienced' that means.

I've done several 100km Audaxes over the past couple of years and a 200km sportive. I've got time to train for it so I'm not worried too much about stepping up to 300km (depending on how the next few months progress). I also used to ride a lot of club runs but haven't for a few years now.

I suppose I'm a little more worried about the navigation. I'm a bit old fashioned (despite my sprightly 34 years of age) and shy away from Garmins etc in favour of maps and routesheets. There doesn't look to be too many instructions so I guess theres quite long sections without too many junctions during the night leg? I have done a lot of rally car navigation at night but that doesn't involve controlling the vehicle or looking much where you are going!

I'm building a new bike for this year (a Genesis Equilibrium) and that will be well sorted based on the reliability I've had from the parts I'm transferring from the current steed. I do only have battery lights though but they are good quality and I believe three hours from each of those should get me through the night (with a cheap back up in the saddle bag just in case).

Anyway, apologies for my rambling, just thought I'd introduce myself and see what the more experienced on this board thought of my chances?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 22 January, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »
Hello!

You'll be fine!  X-rated in this case means there's no TLC from manned controls (village halls with a couple of volunteers serving tea and food etc.) - you're on your own, but Tom has you call at some excellent commercial controls on the ride, so you won't starve.  There's also no hall at the end, so you'll post your brevet card and receipts to Tom for validation.  Last time, Tom rode the ride as well. 

Make sure you have a head-torch or some way of reading the route sheet at night (and somewhere to mount that route sheet). 

I can't remember the navigation of the night-time section of G&YF - but I am sure it wasn't overly complex. 

Most of the time, during night riding, little groups form even more than during the day so there's always others around to share the navigation etc.

That time of year with a midnight start, you're likely to face around 5 hours of night-riding - so as long as you're confident in the lights to deliver that, then you're good to go. 

It's a lovely ride - I hope to be there myself, but may have some other things going on.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »

I suppose I'm a little more worried about the navigation. I'm a bit old fashioned (despite my sprightly 34 years of age) and shy away from Garmins etc in favour of maps and routesheets. There doesn't look to be too many instructions so I guess theres quite long sections without too many junctions during the night leg? I have done a lot of rally car navigation at night but that doesn't involve controlling the vehicle or looking much where you are going!

I did this last year and it was a straight forward route - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1252878

The advantages of a garmin at night is that you don't have to worry stopping every so often to check the map and directions, looking for turnings in the pitch black. Also it will warn you if veer of course.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »
trekker12, there will be a curry before the start and I would suggest you enjoy that as it will be a chance to get to know fellow riders before the off. 

As marcusjb says little groups form, me and Huggy of this parish are doing the ride so you're welcome to tag along with us if you want.  Both of us use Garmins, speaking personally, I can't stand route sheets or maps but carry both as a back up.

Basically, you'll be fine  :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 22 January, 2014, 04:28:20 pm »
This was a great ride last year with a good curry before hand. (I knicked the first part of it up to Bancaster for a DIY I did later in the year). 
It was flippin cold though during the night, someone on here reported that it got down to -5c so go prepared.
As Marcus said controls are commercial so you have to buy stuff from shops rather than have a nice volunteer cater for your every need. No problems n this ride as distance between controls are well spaced.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #32 on: 22 January, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
You'll be fine, trekker21. As already mentioned, over the first few miles little groups form (especially at night) and between you all there should be no problem navigating.  It's not a bad idea, though, to plot out the route on a road atlas or map beforehand so that you have a mental image of it, even if you don't actually use the map on the ride. That can be a great help if you come to a point where you're uncertain of which way to go.  Just knowing that the route passes close to a particular town or goes north,then east, can help. 

For holding the route sheet, I recommend the Klik-Fix map holder that sits over your headset.  I think SJS Cycles sell them.  And the head torch is invaluable - for fixing punctures as well as navigation!  Obviously, bonk rations in the back pocket or saddlebag - and you're ready to roll!

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #33 on: 22 January, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »
Although I use a garmin - I always carry the route sheet in a back pocket - and my fall back mounting for this is a bit of foam round the stem with a bulldog clip. So cheaper than a commercial route sheet holder - and when I did use those - I found that they rattled a lot ( very annoying)  and finally just fell apart.

Just my alternative cheapskate method   -- but you must have a way of reading the route sheet in the dark if that is what you are going to rely on -- helmet mounted head torch - and although it is 100% true that groups will form and stay together at night - you have to be ready for the "unknown" which happens - when your group says we will ride on slowly catch us up  -- but 5 minutes later you get to a junction and are not sure which way to choose.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »
.....Concurs with the wisdom above.....

The night section [Manningtree-Barton Mills-Burnham Deepdale] is pretty straightforward, and most likely done in a group, unlike a 600 with an early morning start, say, where you're sometimes faced with the choice of ploughing a lonely furrow or hanging around at late evening controls, looking for buddies to ride with. Don't get carried away and 'chain-gang' it or you'll be too early for breakfast at Deepdale Cafe, though other eateries are available further on.

As to fitness and preparation, trekker12, if you can ride 100 miles and not be totally wrecked at the end, then you can take on ANY Audax distance, no matter how silly it looks. I'll be riding it again this year - look out for news about the CURRY  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2014, 08:55:40 pm »
It was flippin cold though during the night, someone on here reported that it got down to -5c so go prepared.

It was a ride of 2 temperatures, winter gear to start & summer gear to finish. Also some water bottles were freezing I heard.

My Garmin registered -5c during the night & 25c during the day so checking the weather is essential and possibly something to carry / stow clothing if the weather is the same this year.

rob

« Reply #36 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:38:52 am »
You just know that everyone on the Green and Yellow Fields this year will end up carrying tons of extra kit which will remain in the luggage throughout.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #37 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:43:17 am »
It was unseasonably cold. 

I think the trick is to not stop at the first garage (service through a hatch), but to stop at the next one (Tom had asked kindly if they would let cyclists inside from memory)?

Feck it was chilly.

But the bit, just after the sun rises, going through the woods on the way to Burnham Deepdale was one of the real highlights of last season for me.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #38 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:49:30 am »
I did the G&YF in 2012 and whilst no water bottles froze it was nippy and wet.  I shall be carrying a range of clothing, comfort trumps extra weight.

« Reply #39 on: 23 January, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »
Wow, thanks all for the support and advice. Best get the bike built!!

I've got a Polaris mapboard which I've used on the 100s I've done but it does rather clutter the handlebars and limits where I can rest my hands on the tops so will consider re-mounting elsewhere when I build the new bike. It's also not exactly waterproof. Maybe a handlebar bag with clear map cover might be worth considering.

Decision also made to fit the panniers rather than just a saddle bag as by the sound of it I'll need two lots of kit and somewhere to store the leftover curry (bonk rations)!

See you all on the 26th April then. I'll let you get back on topic now!

« Reply #40 on: 23 January, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
Hi trekker12

I also ride the Genesis Equilibrium with a Carradice Cadet bag on the back, and a Carradice bar bag with map holder on the top, which you can roll up, turn over etc. The system works well for me, I can also run additional power out of the bag to the Garmin or front light. 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 24 January, 2014, 08:19:48 am »
+1 to bar bags. Never needed more than that plus Carradice Barley [for longer/early season events], even for PBP/LEL [and no bag drops - pah!] Not fond of over-stuffed jersey pockets either....

In bar bag: map, bonk rations, camera, headtorch, hat, gloves, batteries, simple washkit, Sudocrem etc. Route sheets in A4 ziplock bags, in map holder on bag.

In saddlebag: extra layers, spare jersey,shorts etc. Inner tubes and spare folding tyre in side pockets. Waterproofs strapped on top [and bag of French pastries on PBP]. Tools in separate pouch under saddle.

« Reply #42 on: 17 April, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »
I felt I should update my postings above with the news that I have decided to give this one a miss this time round. I do intend to do it perhaps next year but deceided 300km was a touch ambitious at this stage in my Audax career. I'll give no excuses I just don't think I've ridden enough this spring.

Am looking at some 200s at the end of May and early June - Edmunds Sally forth and Paddle and if I get a pass for two weekends in a row the Flitchbikes 200.

I'll see how they go to begin with.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 17 April, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »
But, but....I have arranged for some actual Yellow Fields this year, trekker12.

Do it this year to prove you can qualify for PBP next year!

« Reply #44 on: 18 April, 2014, 04:25:07 am »
Oh no! Surely the thread can't end like this. Everyone feels like this before their first 300. It seems an incredible distance and it is but there is also lots of time. Spare time in fact. This isn't a speed event like a sportive.
Don't worry about the route sheet .This is a time honoured and tested route. I don't use GPS and have had no problems route finding this route. And I see you are already set up to carry and read the sheet at night.
The midnight start works well. As the sun rises your energy levels will be renewed. This ride is an experience not to miss.
Last year's cold weather was a one off. That said it made for a most memorable audax. I wouldn't change it!

My advice is not to bale out now but to look at options along the way to bale out if it came to it. Look at rail services going direct to Manningtree from Norwich, Diss, Stowmarket and even Needham Market (a few trains only).
My guess is you won't need the bale out and will enjoy the sense of achievement at the end. Whatever, maybe we'll meet up Manningtree or at the Long Melford audax. I ride a blue Dawes 'Audax' tourer.

« Reply #45 on: 18 April, 2014, 10:15:44 am »
This will be my first 300 and I'm really looking forward to it, particularly as I live local. I've done the Norfolk Nips series over the winter and a couple of 200's over the past few weeks (one of them while suffering with a stinking cold!). I just think about the next control point and no further, keep pedalling without trying to push to hard - its surprising how the miles and time go by. Its a great feeling when you know you've cracked it, quite addictive this audaxing. When I start to find things tough I stop for a few minutes, have a drink, walk around and stretch and then carry on.....

I'll be on a cream coloured Genesis Equilibrium which has proved to be a very comfortable and capable bike. I haven't even had a single puncture over the past six months, though I feel I'll probably be eating my words at 3 am......

Oscar's dad

« Reply #46 on: 18 April, 2014, 11:13:12 am »
trekker12, wise words hath been spoke!  Just do it, you'll be fine and we'll look after you. I'm planning on taking it steady as I've not done as many miles as I'd of liked this year.

I shall be on a blue Ribble. I'm a tall twat with a big nose answering to the name of Steve. Come and say hello.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #47 on: 18 April, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »
...with a big nose answering to the name of Steve...

What does the rest of you answer to?  :P
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #48 on: 19 April, 2014, 11:05:54 pm »
Well I entered and I have decided I will actually ride it this year. Note Trekker12 I have done exactly one ride over 100miles in the last six months, and had three months off the bike over xmas but I suspect I will be able to do it, though I KNOW I will have some slow and groveling buts... Honestly the hardest thing about the ride will be the not sleeping.

Tom I will be driving up from London and will have eaten earlier, but I would like to come and have a pudding and a coffee with you folk if that's ok? See you about 11...

Right, off to download routes then...

Allen

rob

« Reply #49 on: 19 April, 2014, 11:25:09 pm »
I just worked out that this year's ride will be the 20th anniversary of my first Green and Yellow fields back when Herman used to run it from Wrabness.