Author Topic: Audax Events near Wrexham, North Wales  (Read 2000 times)

Audax Events near Wrexham, North Wales
« on: 03 June, 2020, 12:51:03 pm »
Just planning some post CV19 rides. One can but hope.

I live near Bristol/Bath and have a friend in Wrexham, North Wales. It’s about 300km so a point to point DIY is one option. There seems to be a lumpy route across Wales or a MUCH flatter route through England. Any tips?

Any calendar events up there worth thinking about?

I could also do 200km DIYs from Wrexham, so any interesting routes?

Any ideas would be greatly received. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Audax Events near Wrexham, North Wales
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2020, 02:39:38 pm »
Depends whether or not you like hilly or flat routes.  I personally love the lanes around Cheshire to the East of Wrexham and if you do go that way the Ice Cream Farm on Newton Lane near Tattenhall comes highly recommended and is a regular visit by many from across Cheshire and beyond. Also the Eureka cyclists cafe at Two Mills comes highly recommended.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:09:08 pm »
Several of the Cambrian Series permanents have Llangollen or Mold as a potential start finish control:

Cambrian 2F - Llangollen - Bala - Machynlleth - Llanidloes - Llanfyllin - Llangollen
Cambrian 2G - Langollen - Bala - Ffestiniog - Conwy - Mold - Ruthin - Llangollen
or if you are really brave the revised Cambrian 3D - Mold - Ruthin - Llangollen - Glen Ceirog - Bala - Pwllheli - Bethesda - Llanwrst - Conwy - Mold with a full fat 5190m ascent

Clearly subject to relaxation of lockdown rules so that AUK permanents are allowed in Wales.  These routes are 100% in Wales so at least you would only have one set of lockdown rules to worry about.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:02:41 pm »
For what it's worth, here's some experience from several rides between Bradford on Avon and Telford or Farndon or (mainly) Stockport:

Making it a 300 gives lots of choice (even more, if you choose start/finish points a bit away from home/destination).

Or, plan a more direct route of say 270km, and either ride it as a "long" 200, or enter a 205 section of that as a 200 - adds a sort of variety.

In spite of the attraction of the Severn Bridge, I sometimes used the flat way - Cirencester, Droitwich, Kinver... then avoiding the A41.

Very early starts give quiet main-road options.

Happy Planning!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2020, 07:05:25 pm »
There's an AUK-recognised route that involves riding from Wrexham to Prees Heath, and then doing some loops...

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2020, 07:32:24 pm »
Thanks everyone. I’m looking forward to a play with routes and perms. I’m not sure Tony will be so pleased with rides starting and finishing from Haydon (bet you’ve enjoyed not having all the DIYs to validate)

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2020, 12:08:10 pm »
Just planning some post CV19 rides. One can but hope.

I live near Bristol/Bath and have a friend in Wrexham, North Wales. It’s about 300km so a point to point DIY is one option. There seems to be a lumpy route across Wales or a MUCH flatter route through England. Any tips?

Any calendar events up there worth thinking about?

I could also do 200km DIYs from Wrexham, so any interesting routes?

Any ideas would be greatly received. Thank you.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=2566  This perm has a control at Coedpoeth nr Wrexham. If you wanted to set it up as a DIY I'd have no objection (I'm the org').

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2020, 12:27:32 pm »
I’m not sure Tony will be so pleased with rides starting and finishing from Haydon (bet you’ve enjoyed not having all the DIYs to validate)

I'm always extremely pleased to deal with rides which start and/or finish at Haydon!

(It's true that the quantity of non-AUK work I've managed to do since 16 March is rather huge.)