Author Topic: Warning for organisers - Dean Heritage Centre café  (Read 8365 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Warning for organisers - Dean Heritage Centre café
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:16:56 pm »
I don't think anyone has mentioned one key volunteer; the bike parking warden, guarding our precious steeds while we refuel for more hills and headwind scenic roads.

IMG_20170304_125819 by faffing, on Flickr
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 29 April, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »
Kay and part of her team now have their new venue up and running.

Scrumptious Home cooked food available to eat-in or take away. Breakfasts, main meals, snacks, cakes, hot and cold drinks. Venue hire also available. Full menu on Facebook

Details are.

Café at Hopewell Colliery.
Cannop Hill.
Speech House Road.
COLEFORD.
Gloucestershire.
GL16 7EL.

Telephone : 01594 810706.

Also on FB.

Email : hopewellcafe@gmail.com

For those familiar with the area, they're situated about 500m west of Cannop cross roads.

Half of the team are still running Dean Heritage until they're evicted in October.

There's plenty of free parking, large parties welcome. Mine tours available by appointment.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2017, 05:44:11 pm »
 :thumbsup: I'll swing by over the summer
Eddington Number 75

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2017, 05:57:34 pm »
Kay has sourced a new location near to the cross roads adjacent to Cannop Ponds.
This is at Hopewell Colliery, Kay is still running the cafe at the DHC until October too.

The obvious diversion on the Dean, R in Littledean, certainly isn't flat but nor is the existing route.  The climb out of Littledean will be toxic1 if you're there when it is busy and on the descent of  St White's Road there are always lots of parked cars and little patience.

If you don't fancy that diversion Dean Forest Cycles is a trivial, pan flat diversion off the original route.

1 Though not as bad as the A48 climb out of Chepstow.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »
Had breakfast at trhe DHC today on a DIY. Usuall top class breakfast made from local ingredients with a gallon of tea for a bargain price.

Kay sounded  bitter at the way she has been treated but accepts that nothing can be done and has abandoned the petition.

I think they (the dhc management)

have made a grave mistake and fear for the future of the DHC once Kay is gone. They will need a substantial profit from the café just to replace the rent Kay has been paying.I also think that the café is a big attraction to the center.

Still best of luck to the DHC committee they are facing tough times and difficult decisions they may not have even considered yet..

On the positive side Kays new café is up and running and deserves all the support we can give her.