Author Topic: Audax as Cycle-Touring?  (Read 5364 times)

Audax as Cycle-Touring?
« on: 10 April, 2017, 11:52:16 am »
I was looking round at cycling film festivals, and I happened across the Cycle Touring Festival near me in Clitheroe.  http://cycletouringfestival.co.uk

I wondered if I might make a short film about Audax, and where it crosses paths with touring. I’d made a film comparing Audax with The Tour de France, but what about touring? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZLSwv8_hP0

I did my first Audax because my club-mates suggested one. I was already doing Time Trials, and the Fleet Moss Audax was a sort of large club run at the end of the season, a crowning point to the season.

I ‘d got into TTs because I wanted a bit more fitness through the summer, and it was an extension of the gym-work I was already doing.

The bike I used was the Raleigh Record Ace that I’d bought ten years or so before. That was a good quality bike for training and light touring. I adapted it for the TTs by taking the mudguards off, fitting faster tyres, and removing the pannier rack. Reversing those modifications made it into an ‘Audax’ bike.

I’d done some touring on the Record Ace, notably in Brittany and Sicily. I’d fitted a Sun Tour ‘Alpine Gear’, which was a 14/34, 5 speed block, matched to the usual 52/42 chainset. The more usual gearing was 14/28 and six speed. I wasn’t concerned about speed while touring as it was in company with my partner Heather, and we rode at a pace which was a compromise between the both of us.

Our tours described a meandering path, stopping at points of interest, and camping at the end of the day, or finding a B&B. What planning there was tended to be about the weather. Both of us were a little frustrated that the other didn’t ride at the same pace, but we didn’t want a tandem.

Audax solved the problem of our mismatched speeds, as we didn’t have to ride together. It also removed any of the minor arguments about what to do next, as that had been decided. The freedom of pure touring has its attractions, but group touring can involve a lot of negotiation.

Audax in the UK is ‘allure libre’, meaning ‘at a free pace’, albeit within the limits of 15kph minimum and 30kph maximum. There’s a paradox in accepting constraints as freedom, but the alternative is ‘Pure Audax’ where a strict pace is adhered to, led by a road captain, with a whistle. That ’s a European thing, but there’s an element of that in Cycle Touring Club outings, which aim to stick together more than Audax does.

Audax can look like touring, a lot of photos of an Audax would look like individuals on a tour, others would look more like a race. Writing about Audax reads a lot like writing about touring. Articles about tours appear in Arrivee, the Audax UK magazine, and Audax articles appear in touring magazines. Films about touring and Audax have a lot of crossover as well.

Audaxes have the additional element of time restriction, and that introduces an element of jeopardy into the rides, which lends structure to stories, introducing an ‘Around the World in Eighty Days ‘ feel. Touring stories tend to emphasise contact with the landscape and culture along the way, but there’s a porous barrier between exploration and tourism, it’s very rare that we’re the first to pass along any way.

Again there’s a paradox. Audaxes are organised by local people, on a non-profit basis, so participation is a form of cultural immersion. There isn’t the barrier of commerce which turns the visitor into a commodity.

These are a few of the ideas which came to mind in considering how to present Audax to an adventurous touring audience. I thought that the biggest argument against Audax would be the lack of individual agency. That Audax is about paying for an entry, and then doing what the route-sheet says.

However, I wonder if most of the decisions we make on a ’tour’ have been made for us in the literature that inspires us, and the nature of the facilities that we encounter. In the same way that most student backpackers end up doing the same thing.

What do others think about Audax as Cycle-touring?

Audax as Cycle-Touring?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:30:18 pm »
Interesting slant which I like. I came to touring first before Audax after the usual MTBing, BMXing , commuting and utilitarian cycling.

I'm very new to Audax having less than half a dozen rides under my belt. It takes me to places I haven't been to or may not normally have gone. It is very social so cultural exposure is a given. Lots of the rides seem to deliberately take in local POIs and views and controls are in cafés or pubs that tourists might not venture into. And of course the bike is the perfect speed to take in a lot, even on a short 100 event. That's a whole day out for me and if I want to go further afield I stay the night before in a camp site. Yesterday I was at a very nice event on the Dorset Coast. What a lovely ride.

So I yes think it is a form of cycle touring.

Re: Audax as Cycle-Touring?
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2017, 02:23:11 pm »
I always wondered about the bikes that the Crane cousins rode to Central Asia on their 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'.

I had assumed that they were a one-off from Raleigh, but they were catalogued as 'Randonneur' frames by Raleigh Special Products.

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2014/06/26/denton-raleigh-ilkeston-sbdu-sb7657-randonneur-model-8643/

That seems to have been the reason behind calling the high-spec Raleigh tourer the Randonneur.

Audax and Adventure Touring were developing in parallel in the 1980s.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:57:36 pm »
Audax is basically cycle touring for people that have to be at work on Monday. There are lots of 400s and 600s with really nice routes but give me one good reason why you would want to cram it into 2 days rather than 3 or 4, other than that you've got work on Monday?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »
Audax is basically cycle touring for people that have to be at work on Monday. There are lots of 400s and 600s with really nice routes but give me one good reason why you would want to cram it into 2 days rather than 3 or 4, other than that you've got work on Monday?

Generally inclined to agree.  Which isn't to say that riding long distances as a challenge isn't a thing, too.

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:33:34 pm »
I think the compressed time-scale changes perspective, it resets what's possible. That works best when you do rides close from home, as people round you can appreciate the achievement.

Later you start to go from somewhere obscure, to somewhere else obscure, and return. It's taken for granted more, and becomes a bit of a party trick.

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:50:33 pm »
I'm also one of the ones who came into Audax from a cycle touring background - and before that, commuting. Although in my case I haven't do anywhere near as much touring as I have Audaxing, but what I first wanted to do on my bike was tour with it.

Agreed. Perhaps also for people who don't love camping, or want to spend as much time as possible riding rather than off the bike.

One of the things that surprised me when I first started Audaxing was just how little time most people spent at controls - less "stay at the bakery and linger over coffee having a chat" and more "refuel and get riding again". I haven't done any Audaxes longer than 400 (...yet) but have been fascinated by ultra-races like TCR and IndiPac. These seem to take the self-suffiency and keep-on-pedalling aspect of Audax to an extreme, and a significant part of the challenge seems to be managing fatigue while spending as little time as possible not riding.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »
There's clearly an overlap in terms of the people who do audax and who go cycle-touring but then there's also an overlap between audaxers and people who do time trials and road races. And cyclocross and mountain biking too. Probably track racing as well. In the activity itself, while audax has aspects of touring in that you ride and admire the scenery and aren't too bothered about going fast or winning, it undeniably has a competitive aspect too. The time pressures can be significant as well, for some riders on some routes. Audax certainly isn't my idea of touring, which means being able to stop whenever I want to investigate anything I see that takes my fancy (old churches, stone circles, oddly shaped trees, cafes, etc etc) and to meander around.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »
Regarding the RSP frames they were covered in  BBC4 documentary a few weeks back. I've got it recorded if it's not on iPlayer although can't remember what it was called but was about the history of Raleigh

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2017, 10:39:56 pm »
I saw that, with is what brought it to mind. It didn't occur to me that Raleigh were cataloguing that spec as a 'Randonneur' frame before the Cranes used them. The idea of a 753 Audax frame in 1986 is intriguing. I wonder how long they'd offered it?

I know what Cudzo means about the freedom to stop and experience a locality on tour, but there are places where just moving through the landscape at Audax pace is enough in itself. That's how I felt about Northern Scotland in the times that I crossed it on Audaxes. I made a film in 2011 about a 400 which summed it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7oDiNUveE  That's my favourite of the films I made of rides I did in the UK. The good weather meant that I didn't have to go back, although I continue to go there for walking holidays.

There's a scale of landscape where the Audax pace is entirely appropriate, and the sense of the sharing that landscape is a source of joy for the organisers. Those organisers intend the participants to discover a place they love, and when it works, it's sublime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlblL27Ydc

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:11:34 pm »
Audax is a great way to discover and see new landscapes but what it doesn't give you is time to explore them. You can't really stop and mosey around an attractive village or follow a random byway to see where it leads; at least not at the pace I ride at. Though I suppose even then the lack of time is a product of the decision to prioritise finishing within time limits over exploring. Not that this decision is purely based on points or the satisfaction of a challenge completed though; there's also the practical consideration of the next control running out of food! But what you can do is see and then return later at a more leisurely pace.

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:29:26 pm »
I don't really enjoy cycling where there are more than 0.2 persons per hectare. At that level of population there isn't much apart from the scenery to divert the attention. Fortunately that's around half of the UK. The crowded areas are mainly to the South of me. In much of the UK, Audax facilitates a form of fast touring by providing services which are otherwise absent.

Ben T

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2017, 04:43:45 am »
I'm also one of the ones who came into Audax from a cycle touring background - and before that, commuting. Although in my case I haven't do anywhere near as much touring as I have Audaxing, but what I first wanted to do on my bike was tour with it.

Agreed. Perhaps also for people who don't love camping, or want to spend as much time as possible riding rather than off the bike.

One of the things that surprised me when I first started Audaxing was just how little time most people spent at controls - less "stay at the bakery and linger over coffee having a chat" and more "refuel and get riding again". I haven't done any Audaxes longer than 400 (...yet) but have been fascinated by ultra-races like TCR and IndiPac. These seem to take the self-suffiency and keep-on-pedalling aspect of Audax to an extreme, and a significant part of the challenge seems to be managing fatigue while spending as little time as possible not riding.

Yes, although touring doesn't necessarily imply camping...

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »
I was asked at the of LEL, which I filmed from a motorbike, what if anything I missed about riding it. I missed not having to pack and unpack my stuff. The lack of overnight stops means that there is no interruption to the experience, even the sleep becomes part of an uninterrupted stream of consciousness, a consciousness that becomes subtly altered as the ride progresses.

Audax is a fundamentally restless activity. In that sense it's a very direct antidote for 'Wanderlust'.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:59:47 pm »
IMO the rules, time/speed restrictions that are part of audax move it away from the touring genre - it makes it a challenge event.

A tour gives freedom to change route and/or destination along the way and has no time constraints - it's more relaxed. You don't need a route sheet, don't need to collect receipts or stamps on a brevet card, you don't have to be finished within a certain time frame. Just fill your saddlebag and off you pedal - be it a day, week, month or years.

Ben T

« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2017, 01:10:30 pm »
For most reasonably fit experienced audaxers it's not challenging to get round within the time though. If you know you can do it if you want to, where's the challenge? It's only a challenge if there's a possibility you might fail.

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2017, 01:43:14 pm »
Windy's 300 would be a prime example of Audax as cycle-touring. I like the idea of a Tour of Harris and Lewis, as it has a geographical integrity, but I know that Lewis has miles and miles of bugger all, often with a headwind.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »
For most reasonably fit experienced audaxers it's not challenging to get round within the time though. If you know you can do it if you want to, where's the challenge? It's only a challenge if there's a possibility you might fail.

Rules, brevet cards, checkpoints, time limits, points, route sheets - changes the ethos IMO.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:07:34 pm »
Definitely changes the ethos. A good audax route can also be a good touring route, but the actual rides are different things.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »
Not that touring can't have time limits, too of course.  Hotels, ferries, trains, having to be back at work on Monday, having to get to the next proper town before all the shops close for the weekend, etc.  Open-ended touring with just-in-time planning and the option to wild camp is perhaps the purest form, but most people don't do it that way all of the time.

And then you can muddy the waters by combining the two.  I've kicked off a tour with a DIY before now, and touring to/from the start of an audax is surely well within the general philosophy, even with generous time limits.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #20 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:11:47 pm »
Windy's 300 would be a prime example of Audax as cycle-touring. I like the idea of a Tour of Harris and Lewis, as it has a geographical integrity, but I know that Lewis has miles and miles of bugger all, often with a headwind.

First ride of the route was with Pingu back in 2006 - I just had an idea to start from home and join up the furthest point south of the island with the furthest point north and then ride home - when I added in the loop of the Golden Road and diversion up west-side (instead of the shortest routes) it came out as a nice round 300km - had no idea of it becoming an event back then.

I do see many people completing a similar route at a more leisurely pace over 2 or 3 days (plus).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »
Those time limits are self-imposed though, or at least self-chosen and allow for other options. Sure, you have to be at work on Monday and the last ferry's 5pm Sunday evening, but you can always choose not to ride to the furthest point of the island when it turns out to be slower going than you'd anticipated. And perhaps even more importantly they are limits imposed by an external, permanent reality, rather then the artificial rules of an activity.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:29:31 pm »
Definitely changes the ethos. A good audax route can also be a good touring route, but the actual rides are different things.

That sums up my feelings too. I ride an audax/diy because I want a challenge, want to ride the route, experience the craic of an event, want something to show for my efforts. I ave a completely different mental attitude when I head out for a touring ride.

Nearly 20 years living in Stornoway and I've never done Barra to the Butt (now NCN 780).

I could either choose to start early one morning so that I could make both ferries and complete the route in a day or I could take a few days; carry a tent or stop in hostels along the way; stop at the beaches and go for a swim in the sea; call in at one of the distilleries or smoke houses and sample the produce along the way; visit the Broch and Callanish Stones etc.

Same route, but the first option would be a challenge the second a tour.

« Reply #23 on: 11 April, 2017, 03:04:29 pm »
There was a TV programme last night about tourism in the Highlands and Skye. It covered some of the 'ethos' of tourism, including the self-perceived differences between 'travellers' and 'tourists'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vjcv6/grand-tours-of-scotland-series-1-3-in-search-of-the-real-scotland

Another idea for a short film I have is of the Mille Pennines, and how many different protected areas it passes through. Any one of those National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty  could sustain a cycle-tour. I know some of the staff of those bodies from hedging and walling competitions. The event is a way of experiencing the protected landscapes of the North of England, and tying them together into a single cohesive episode, in a similar way to the Scottish 500 route.

« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »
I had a look through the archives, looking at stuff to suggest the ways in which Audax is cycle-touring. Which led to me writing this. It's just a number ideas I had, which I might use in a film.

For about 20 years I’ve been involved in a type of cycling that’s downright unpatriotic for a Brit.

The British are very fair-minded, and they think that that the whole world thinks like them. But they’re actually pretty unusual. They’re extremely individualistic, and they don’t need to know what they going to be doing the next day. That inclines us to admire spontaneity. “I’m just popping off round the world, I’ll be be back in a while, don’t make me any dinner”, would be a thoroughly admirable statement, the less planning involved the better.

Planning is akin to training in our view, it puts those without innate talent on an equal footing with the naturally gifted. Something that foreigners might do, but downright unfair in our eyes,

When I was a child, ‘abroad’ on television was a place where authority figures were constantly checking your papers, and I was a bit disappointed to grow up into a world where I couldn’t afford to go any of the places where I might get a stamp in my passport. I felt a bit cheated of my birthright to look with mild disapproval upon such intrusive bureaucracy.

So it’s unusual that I found Audax, which tinges perfectly innocent bicycle tours with the atmosphere of a visit to the Soviet Bloc in the 1960s. Cycling with what amounts to an identity card, and having to visit checkpoints has a transgressive air to the True Brit.

That sense of transgression has some foundation, Audaxes are an extension of reliability trials, which are a sort of training for racing cyclists, and border on being races themselves. That’s down to the legal status of cycle racing on British roads, mass start races have to be authorised, that also led to time trials being a major form of cycle sport. That’s especially true for older cyclists, with a very strong veterans scene.

Older cyclists tend to do longer distances, they’re no longer as strong as the young bloods, and they’ve got more time. So they predominate in long distance time trials, and long distance excursions such as Audax. The club-based cycling culture can be a bit of a closed world, birds of a feather flock together, and groups tend to be of very similar cycling ability, as no-one likes waiting.

Audax in Britain rides are ‘allure-libre’, which means at your own pace, but within limits, a maximum of 30kph and a minimum of 15kph. The continental origins are clear in the use of metric distances, and in the terminology. But the advantage is that you can participate within a broad range of ability.

The whole package; carrying cards, following set courses, arriving at checkpoints between prescribed times and validation conditional on completion, will strike those who seek freedom within cycling as anathema. So what are the attractions for the self-sufficient personality?

My partner sings in a choir, the music is mainly religious, and it’s sung in churches. Many of the choir are religious, but they’re united by their love of music, and that’s enhanced by the infrastructure that comes with belief. Heather isn’t religious herself, she’s there for the singing, but she also benefits from the community of the true believers. In the same way, it is possible to do Audaxes, and to be ‘along for the ride’.

Some of those rides are attractive to any cycle tourist. The itineraries can be mouth-watering in the extreme, and the opportunity to do them in company, with bespoke facilities at amazing prices is striking. So what’s the catch?

The ‘catch’ is the equation between speed and sleep deprivation in the longer distances. Cycle-tourists can accept the idea of a 125 mile day, for the payback of a solid fix of scenery. The maximum time of 13 hours 20 minutes is doable if you keep your eyes on the clock. The problem comes when you have to adhere to the same formula for rides up to 1200 kilometres. Eating and sleeping have to be shoehorned in somewhere, and if you lack for speed, then you’ll lack for sleep.

Those who do the longer rides have coined the portmanteau word ‘Randonesia’ from Randonee, a ride of this type, and Amnesia. The joke being that it’s like childbirth, repetition requires forgetting. But for me ‘Randonesia’ is a place. Doing audaxes as cycle-tours is an exploration of that foreign country.

Social media makes an archipelago of like-minded individuals, and ‘Randonesia’ is that sort of place. Some people live there, others just visit. It is similar to religion in some ways, and roads are the places of worship.

The islands in that archipelago come together ever four years at Paris-Brest-Paris, which is both the wellspring of Randonee, and its principal gathering. It’s there that the sense of visiting a world on wheels is strongest.

I’ve discussed whether Audax is just a form of cycle-touring. Many doubt it is because of its formal structure, the ‘ethos’ is different. I tend to the view that if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it is a duck. But I’m keen on synthesis, so I also think that if you think if it is very different from cycle-touring, then that makes it the ideal destination to explore, with the added virtue of convenience.